Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Which would you buy V50 or V70? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330722)

cogs Feb 7th, 2023 10:19

Which would you buy V50 or V70?

I'm looking to buy a bigger new old car, 2004 to 2010, It has to be an automatic and preferable petrol. I currently have a V40, wife also runs one, my previous car was a Toyota Avensis which I liked but having had a the V40, it's the second I've owned, I was looking at buying another Volvo. I was looking at the V70/S80 but I've seen a few V50 but I'm put off by the large number of recalls and the issue they seem to have.

Which do you guys think is the better car the V50 or V70/S80?

SnineT Feb 7th, 2023 11:12

70 all day long, the car that thinks it's a van that thinks it's a limo that even today still has a great road presence.

ITSv40 Feb 7th, 2023 11:52

Having had 2 V40's for the last 20 years and my son having 2 V50's. I would definitely go for the V70. The V50 is based on a Focus, so not very big inside and both my son and I could not get over having FoMoCo stamped on every major component. Son now has a Skoda.

Sotosound Feb 7th, 2023 12:17

Make that three votes for the V70. :)

Moomoo Feb 7th, 2023 12:20

V70, all day long!

Simmy Feb 7th, 2023 14:31

v70 all-day long had mine 8 years and have no plans to change any time soon.

Thekilt Feb 7th, 2023 14:38

V70 hands down. Owned both, a 2002 V70 T5 Auto, and a V50 T5 manual, and the V70 was more comfortable and better built. The V50 is very "Tinny". You can hear the poor quality when closign doors etc.

Although, be careful with the Autos. the AW gearboxes arent the best and can get sticky.

100K+ Feb 7th, 2023 14:40

I have run 4 V70's over 25yrs+, and as SnineT says they are a van, a limo and have presence. They are however not what I'd call bullet proof. Mechanicals are ok, but if you trawel through this sub forum there are many recurring themes. Sensors/modules for one, suspension weaknesses ( drop links + front wishbones) another. The upside is there are many online places where these repairs can be watched/studied before attempting the repair ( assuming you can juggle the spanners) yourself.

On the other side the V50 : My daughter has run a 59 plate for 10 years, - council refuge trucks have a better life. No dogs but 3 kids and all their bits and bobs. Its serviced when she gets sick of me nagging about it. DOn't think shes run it out of oil, probably cos it don't use any (My V70's did when older -90K+) other than tyres, discs and pads and a recent new battery (13+ years old) its never been touched.. How the &*%$ does that work??. Yes its Ford Focus, but were they not a reliable car???

Which would I take? sorry, V70 gets my vote despite the above comments, but I'd choose T5 or 2.5T there really is not that much of a fuel penalty and the extra performance AHHH!

Cheers
Bob

J liddy Feb 8th, 2023 07:43

I don't know much about the V 50
So I would get a 2005 ish V70 if you can find one

Tannaton Feb 8th, 2023 07:58

I’ve had both and I would also firmly say V70. it is a significantly bigger car, but all the petrol engine options are Volvo engines, only the T5 and 2.4 petrol in the V50 are Volvo. That said, I was really happy with our V50, yes it’s heavily Ford based but Volvos upgrades mean it would still be a far better buy than any Focus, Astra, Peugeot or Golf of same age. Has a much more premium car feel and interior/bodywork far better quality.

In the V70 (or V50 actually) 2.4 normally aspirated engine is the one to go for - no turbo means more reliable and really smooth, performance is adequate. T5 is good fun but more costly to run, insure.