Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smell of burn

Views : 370

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2024, 00:30   #1
V40addict

Default Smell of burn

I noticed a rather strong smell of burn after 2 short drives and it's not the tyres, once 10 days ago and then again today after I washed the car (I don't remember the circumstances of the first instance, maybe I had also summarily washed the car). The smell comes from the engine bay and fills the inside via the airco I think, anyway very noticeable once you get back into the car. Each time I popped the bonnet open , and I could smell burn there as well, although no smoke or anything going on in there. There seems to be enough oil, same for coolant. So what gives ?

Just concerned something serious may be developping. Any idea ?

Last edited by V40addict; May 19th, 2024 at 00:33.
V40addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2024, 17:23   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

A difficult one to guess at without knowing what it smells like[oil on a hot exhaust/a burning rubber type smell/something else?] as you mention it's not the tyres[a burning rubber type smell]could it be one of the belts slipping caused by a seized or seizing pulley or just because they've got wet?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2024, 23:23   #3
V40addict

Each time I looked inside the engine bay, and could not see any smoke, and it didn't even smell stronger than inside the car. But it's got to produce some fumes for it to travel inside the car. I hope it's some tree leaves or debris that fell in the engine bay and got stuck where it's really hot. Otherwise I thought about a wire making contact with something hot. That's what comes to my mind from the type of smell. Didn' t think about the belts, those were just recently changed (last year) , could something go wrong ? Now I noticed a smell of burn before, once or twice maybe, a long time ago, everytime it was a one off event and I just hoped it would go away. But this time, there were at least two occurrences in 2 weeks.

Last edited by V40addict; May 20th, 2024 at 23:31.
Old May 21st, 2024, 14:59   #4
Fabi05

Do you have the heaters on? I'm no expert nor too familiar with this issue but we've had a similar problem in a different car before where it ended up being dirty/clogged vents and if you turn on the fans (especially on heat) it always made the inside smell of burning. This is a bit of a guess but just wanted to mention it as it could be something to consider looking into as it's happened with me.
Fabi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2024, 23:42   #5
V40addict

I don't use the heater these days, but the airco acts up a bit in the sense that when I turn it on , it starts hot (especially if the car just started) and stays that way for a couple minutes before cooling and providing fresh air.
But if that was indeed the heater (I think I had that issue as well in the past, maybe not on that V40 though), how would that account for the smell of burn inside the engine bay ?
Old May 23rd, 2024, 00:06   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40addict View Post
I don't use the heater these days, but the airco acts up a bit in the sense that when I turn it on , it starts hot (especially if the car just started) and stays that way for a couple minutes before cooling and providing fresh air.
But if that was indeed the heater (I think I had that issue as well in the past, maybe not on that V40 though), how would that account for the smell of burn inside the engine bay ?
Air con doesn't work instantly. Like when you turn it on, don't expect instant cold air... It takes a while. If its really hot outside, it could take a few minutes to actually start to feel cool inside the cabin. If it takes ages to get cold or it doesn't feel as cold as it should be, then the air con may need a regas.

As for the smell you're experiencing, its really hard to say. There's lots of moving parts in the engine... it must be coming from somewhere in the engine and through the air vents for you to smell it in the cabin. Or it could be coming from a clogged filter, then through the air vents.

Have you checked the pollen filter to see if its clogged up?
Old May 26th, 2024, 15:12   #7
V40addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post

Have you checked the pollen filter to see if its clogged up?
No it needs to be changed, I haven' t done it in ages"