Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 77703

Replies : 1373

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 20:40   #171
Existential Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
George, I'm disappointed.
Here you are trying to close down anyone and everyone that doesn't fit your ideals on this subject?
Tell me why I'm wrong. 🤔
You're wrong man. I'm happy to hear genuine objections from people but some of the absolute nonsense being purported as truth is incredible. There is a difference between 'closing people down' and simply nor suffering a certain type of person, isn't there? However Daryl, if you, or others interpret my posts differently than that there is little I can do about it. Have a great weekend man, peace and love, gbn x

Last edited by Existential Crisis; Feb 3rd, 2023 at 20:43.
Existential Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Existential Crisis For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 21:35   #172
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
On a serious note, as a pedestrian I have been taken by surprise on a couple of occasions by an EV gliding up virtually silently, I'm sure there was a suggestion in the early days of EVs that they should have some sort of noise generator for pedestrian safety.
I did think that would be a problem when all the talk about EV's happening "soon" started, probably a decade ago.
But modern ICE cars are so quiet these days, honestly there's more tyre & wind & stuff-just-moving noise than engine-noise these days ... and it surprises me a little how much that contributes to the overall amount of noise a car makes.
My wife's 1.8T of 6L V8 American-engined car makes no more noise than a Tesla if it's moving at about 10km/h or so & above (once it's warmed up a bit - it's a bit valve-trainy when cold - and unless you get all angry with the go-pedal of course) ... it's really only when there's very little ambient noise & a car is really slowly inching-forward that the Tesla is quieter.
We had an uber some time last year that was a current-model hybrid Camry, you could tell 'cos it was so quiet as it pulled up. I didn't pay any attention on the drive into the city (it's a Camry - it plays tricks with your mind to make it IMPOSSIBLE to notice it or anything about it). But after it dropped us off I noticed there was no 'hybrid' badging & it was making engine-noises as it drove up the street ... it was just quiet, I guess rolling down the street to pick us up meant no accelerator & at idle it was sooo smooth/silent.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 21:50   #173
Existential Crisis

My old Lexus LS400 was silent, most refined car I've ever driven. I never ran a pedestrian over once in the tens of thosiads of miles I put on it. Perhaps people use their eyes and not their ears when crossing the road? It's a dangerous, novel idea right enough...
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 21:53   #174
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
I did think that would be a problem when all the talk about EV's happening "soon" started, probably a decade ago.
But modern ICE cars are so quiet these days, honestly there's more tyre & wind & stuff-just-moving noise than engine-noise these days ... and it surprises me a little how much that contributes to the overall amount of noise a car makes.
My wife's 1.8T of 6L V8 American-engined car makes no more noise than a Tesla if it's moving at about 10km/h or so & above (once it's warmed up a bit - it's a bit valve-trainy when cold - and unless you get all angry with the go-pedal of course) ... it's really only when there's very little ambient noise & a car is really slowly inching-forward that the Tesla is quieter.
We had an uber some time last year that was a current-model hybrid Camry, you could tell 'cos it was so quiet as it pulled up. I didn't pay any attention on the drive into the city (it's a Camry - it plays tricks with your mind to make it IMPOSSIBLE to notice it or anything about it). But after it dropped us off I noticed there was no 'hybrid' badging & it was making engine-noises as it drove up the street ... it was just quiet, I guess rolling down the street to pick us up meant no accelerator & at idle it was sooo smooth/silent.
Unless I hoof my Subaru it’s surprisingly quiet when I’m pootling around the burbs all I can hear is road noise. My V60CC had the nice five pot diesel noise to it but the Subaru is just a woosh effect.

TT
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 22:15   #175
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Crisis View Post
You're wrong man. I'm happy to hear genuine objections from people but some of the absolute nonsense being purported as truth is incredible. There is a difference between 'closing people down' and simply nor suffering a certain type of person, isn't there? However Daryl, if you, or others interpret my posts differently than that there is little I can do about it. Have a great weekend man, peace and love, gbn x
Thanks George, your dismissive reply supports my original point quite nicely.

No problems, have a good weekend yourself.
👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 23:12   #176
Existential Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Thanks George, your dismissive reply supports my original point quite nicely.

No problems, have a good weekend yourself.
👍
Daryl, I'm not sure what you find dismissive but your translation of my post that way supports my point quite nicely.... 🤣
The Following User Says Thank You to Existential Crisis For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 23:23   #177
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Welcome to my new venture, Elecflix a motion dedicated to the discussion of EV's vs ICE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hatav_Rdnno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pM9o2Ifcro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IPR50-soNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AouW9_jyZck

I urge you my learned friends to watch, listen and take in what is said in all four video's, and remember it didn't cost you £6.99 and you don't have to pay extra if someone else also wants to watch them outside of your home network, Elecflix the future of non subscription viewing.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2023, 08:06   #178
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Crisis View Post
My old Lexus LS400 was silent, most refined car I've ever driven. I never ran a pedestrian over once in the tens of thosiads of miles I put on it. Perhaps people use their eyes and not their ears when crossing the road? It's a dangerous, novel idea right enough...
That's why I said 'taken by surprise' rather than 'run over by' because I do look before I cross the road, but having good hearing I find it contributes to my situational awareness too, my ears can detect noise behind me that the eyes in the back of my head might not see
In a world where even 40t trucks have to have DRLs so pedestrians can see them coming using a stealth motor for propulsion is a good one.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2023, 09:04   #179
The Thong
VOC Member

I’m always talking to EV owners and I’ve gotta say they love them. The gripe they all have is infrastructure: the person I was taking to yesterday had a Hyundai Ionic or whatever it is… Absolutely loves it, apart from the lack of charging stations compared to demand. I’ve yet to drive a full fat EV.

TT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2023, 09:11   #180
concrete

A mate of mine had a Porsche taycan cross and he threw it back at Porsche as it had so many software issues. He’s got a Tesla now and it’s been trouble free so far. He managed to drive from Scotland to France over Christmas and back again. It took a bit of planning mind you.
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to concrete For This Useful Post: