Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 72223

Replies : 1343

Users Viewing This Thread : finnster

Old Feb 8th, 2023, 18:46   #271
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Don’t forget us Terraced Street people. It’s going to be interesting to see how they’re going to address that issue.

TT
Now I don't want anyone to think I'm making light here but there is an obvious flaw to go with what you said.

Imagine all those charging cables draped down a 20 storey block of flats, what's the risk profile to that I wonder.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 18:51   #272
Fastpatsilents

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
His wife is the Dr I believe.

His forte was being a great fighter pilot who also totally plays for the team of the USA and will do until God claims him. I don't dislike Buzz I admire him as as a man and as a trooper but I also don't believe the res on the pictures for the era nor how moon buggies got there nor that the lander would have gold foil hanging off it, basically America was a complete mess at the time and landing on the moon would've been a great way to pull it together, Nam, JFK, Nixon event path that like today says question things.

Funny how everything you believe in can't be visited, touched or seen isn't it, moon landings, centre of the earth, "why is that?" "one of life's mysteries Sir!".
You do know what a PhD is? And that Aldrin has one as stated in the link.
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastpatsilents For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 18:53   #273
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpatsilents View Post
You do know what a PhD is? And that Aldrin has one as stated in the link.
Doesn't mention any Dr titles in his wiki etc.

His wife is though.
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 18:56   #274
Fastpatsilents

Quote:
Doesn't mention any Dr titles in his wiki etc.

His wife is though.
From Wiki

After earning a Doctor of Science degree in astronautics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.....

Through the Air Force Institute of Technology, Aldrin enrolled as a graduate student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1959 intending to earn a master's degree.[31] Richard Battin was the professor for his astrodynamics class. Two other USAF officers who later became astronauts, David Scott and Edgar Mitchell, took the course around this time. Another USAF officer, Charles Duke, also took the course and wrote his 1964 master's degree at MIT under the supervision of Laurence R. Young.[32]

Aldrin enjoyed the classwork and soon decided to pursue a doctorate instead.[31] In January 1963, he earned a Sc.D. degree in astronautics.[28][33] His doctoral thesis was Line-of-Sight Guidance Techniques for Manned Orbital Rendezvous, the dedication of which read: "In the hopes that this work may in some way contribute to their exploration of space, this is dedicated to the crew members of this country's present and future manned space programs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastpatsilents For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 18:58   #275
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpatsilents View Post
From Wiki

After earning a Doctor of Science degree in astronautics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.....

Through the Air Force Institute of Technology, Aldrin enrolled as a graduate student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1959 intending to earn a master's degree.[31] Richard Battin was the professor for his astrodynamics class. Two other USAF officers who later became astronauts, David Scott and Edgar Mitchell, took the course around this time. Another USAF officer, Charles Duke, also took the course and wrote his 1964 master's degree at MIT under the supervision of Laurence R. Young.[32]

Aldrin enjoyed the classwork and soon decided to pursue a doctorate instead.[31] In January 1963, he earned a Sc.D. degree in astronautics.[28][33] His doctoral thesis was Line-of-Sight Guidance Techniques for Manned Orbital Rendezvous, the dedication of which read: "In the hopes that this work may in some way contribute to their exploration of space, this is dedicated to the crew members of this country's present and future manned space programs.

It says he got a degree it doesn't say he's a Doctor, handy to know though in case the old Farmers are playing up while I'm stateside next, I'll ask for him personally.
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 19:19   #276
Fastpatsilents

Quote:
It says he got a degree it doesn't say he's a Doctor, handy to know though in case the old Farmers are playing up while I'm stateside next, I'll ask for him personally.
Ffs "Aldrin enjoyed the classwork and soon decided to pursue a doctorate instead.[31] In January 1963, he earned a Sc.D. degree in astronautics.[28][33] His doctoral thesis was Line-of-Sight Guidance Techniques for Manned Orbital Rendezvous"

He has a PhD! And has therefore earned the right to be called Dr Aldrin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastpatsilents For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 19:46   #277
Dan1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Don’t forget us Terraced Street people. It’s going to be interesting to see how they’re going to address that issue.

TT
Exactly....

Basically having the ability to charge the thing at home...
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 19:51   #278
Fastpatsilents

Sorted

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/b...ce-ev-charging
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 20:07   #279
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Although I detest Popcorn, this thread is an encouragement to give it a try again.
The entertainment value is cracking.
Keep it up boys, it's way better than talking about EVs. 👍😁

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 20:15   #280
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Now I don't want anyone to think I'm making light here but there is an obvious flaw to go with what you said.

Imagine all those charging cables draped down a 20 storey block of flats, what's the risk profile to that I wonder.
Each parking bay at the flats car park has a charger. However, you could run a cable to your car from a terraced house (if you can get parked outside the house) but the health and safety might be questionable

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post: