PDA

View Full Version : How much engine noise.....

ExMercR
Nov 5th, 2010, 14:25
I am still in new-car-selection-mode and the XC60 is high on my shortlist.

Yesterday I had a test drive in a D5 205 AWD. I enjoyed several aspects of the car - the handling, the ride, the performance and especially, the comfort.

However, one thing disturbed me; I was surprised how vocal the engine appeared to be.

At idle I could hear a bottom-end rattle - vaguely similar to a bus or van. I don't wish to exaggerate this, and it may have been because I was really attuned to the car, but I was a bit surprised as it didn't sound very refined.

Under acceleration there was quite a loud engine 'roar' - not an unpleasant noise but actually quite noticably loud.

A test drive is a very 'abnormal' driving condition - no radio, no passengers, a high concentration on the car rather than what to eat for dinner or what to do about (insert problem of your choice)..

So, my question is: Is the XC60 205 AWD quite noisy, or was this a bad example, or maybe it's just because I was concentrating on the noise?

I'd be interested in some honest opinions, and maybe some comparisons with other driving experiences. Thanks in advance.

stu0710
Nov 5th, 2010, 14:47
I find it to be a very quiet car overall, not much wind or road noise, but there is a distinctive 'gruff' 5 cyl engine note under acceleration, which I quite like, the salesman told me it had been 'engineered in' ????

In the recent 4 way 'What Car' test (October or Nov issue) the XC60 came out quietest / most refined against Freelander / Q5 / X3 but they did remark on the distinctive engine note.

VolvoXc60
Nov 5th, 2010, 14:56
I read that the engine sounds a bit like a V8, nothing wrong with that! :p

XC60KEV
Nov 5th, 2010, 15:19
Was stuck in a traffic jam for an hour in Manchester yesterday. If it were not for the rev counter sitting just below 1000 when idling I would not have heard the engine at all. IMO the engine is very quiet until you give it beans and hear the growl. Take foot off it goes quiet again, sometimes too quiet.

Daleman
Nov 5th, 2010, 16:11
They can be a bit rattley on start up but once on the move no worse than most other diesels in my view.

The D5 is slightly noisier than a D3.

I think maybe the D3 is better harmonically balanced with its slightly different mass of moving parts more by good luck than any intention I would think.

All these five cylinder diesel engines from Volvo although well modified from original are slightly old generation diesels.

Rich17
Nov 5th, 2010, 16:14
Noise is a very subjective thing. I find mine a bit noisy idling when cold, but when its warmed up, its very quiet. And it warms up very quickly.

On the move I can't hear the engine until accelerating hard when it gives (to my ears at least) a fine aural performance. But then I used to drive Alfa's with the window down just to listen to the engine.

wimorrison
Nov 5th, 2010, 17:37
Rich17 is so correct in saying it is subjective - when I get into the car on a chilly morning the car sounds very noisy, yet when I get into the same car after a noisy day in the office it seems very quiet.

And as it is POETS day I am about to go and get into a nice quiet again and go home ;)

ExMercR
Nov 5th, 2010, 19:03
Thank you all for the feedback. It is very true to say the level of noise is subjective. I currently have a very quiet car and comparatively, the D5 is a bit noisier.

The acceleration noise is quite welcome, and although the diesel rattle at tickover was a bit offputting, it is probably not a show-stopper.

One way to overcome the rattle is to go for a petrol model. The leasing cost of the T5 240PS Petrol is virtually identical to the D5 AWD, although the running costs would be a bit higher and the T5 is only available as FWD.

Something else to consider...

Brodick
Nov 5th, 2010, 20:20
D5 makes a nicer noise (even though it can be vocal at times) than
any 4 cylinder diesel) each to his own I suppose. Petrol engines are generaly always that little bit more civilised shall we say.

As previously mentioned the XC60 has been praised for its refined cabin and noise levels.

Just my opinon for what it is worth.

vincentvg
Nov 5th, 2010, 20:33
Under acceleration there was quite a loud engine 'roar' - not an unpleasant noise but actually quite noticably loud.
So, my question is: Is the XC60 205 AWD quite noisy, or was this a bad example, or maybe it's just because I was concentrating on the noise?

I bought my D5 - a "fully loaded" dealer's demo - sight unseen, with 2,000 miles on the clock, having only been able to test drive a D3 locally (long story - don't ask!). Must confess that when I first drove off in my new pride and joy I was a little perplexed about the "growl" when pulling away from low revs. I hadn't noticed it in the D3.

Suffice to say that before I'd covered half the 200-odd miles drive home I'd grown to love the whole thing - including the slightly gruff low-down engine note - and now don't even think about it.

I'm sure you'll find the same.

ExMercR
Nov 5th, 2010, 20:47
Suffice to say that before I'd covered half the 200-odd miles drive home I'd grown to love the whole thing - including the slightly gruff low-down engine note - and now don't even think about it.

I'm sure you'll find the same.

Thanks for that. I think that's exactly right and just what I wanted to hear..:thumbs_up:

robg
Nov 7th, 2010, 20:21
my 205 D5 manual is as described in the various posts above. Abit rattly when cold and/or under 1500 rpm. Its a great / noisy growl (opinions divided) under acceleration but fades into nothing when cruising.
Just done 300 miles this weekend chatting with the wife and a friend the whole journey, no music no radio. Effortless.

I do have the laminated windows, but doubt that effects engine noise.

rob

edwin983
Nov 10th, 2010, 18:19
For me engine noise is quite important, so I did some test drives with different engines. I did two test drives with a D5, and one with a D3 Geartronic and noticed a clear difference: the D3 is indeed more quiet (especially when accelerating), and for me this was an important difference. I bought a D3 Manual (not the Geartronic), which is even better from the point of view of engine noise and vibrations of the engine: when standing still at a traffic light, or in a traffic jam, the engine noise and vibrations are less than when having a Geartronic.
When considering the D5 I would recommend to test drive it and compare it with a D3, and make your own judgment.

ExMercR
Nov 10th, 2010, 21:07
For me engine noise is quite important, so I did some test drives with different engines. I did two test drives with a D5, and one with a D3 Geartronic and noticed a clear difference: the D3 is indeed more quiet (especially when accelerating), and for me this was an important difference. I bought a D3 Manual (not the Geartronic), which is even better from the point of view of engine noise and vibrations of the engine: when standing still at a traffic light, or in a traffic jam, the engine noise and vibrations are less than when having a Geartronic.
When considering the D5 I would recommend to test drive it and compare it with a D3, and make your own judgment.

I have decided to go for the D5. I'm prepared to trade a bit more noise for a bit more oomph and AWD.

Matteus XC60
Nov 10th, 2010, 22:36
I have decided to go for the D5. I'm prepared to trade a bit more noise for a bit more oomph and AWD.

Yep, I came to exactly the same conclusion myself about a month a go. I get mine 1st week of December!

Keighley
Nov 20th, 2010, 21:06
You do get some engine noise when cold but ok when at running temp,
the quality of diesel plays a big part in the engine noise,drivers think diesel is diesel but there is a big variation,Then there is the suppliers secret adertive so i would advise drivers of xc60's to think twice before using supermarket diesel.
i use BP as it cuts engine grunt and knock down considarably (make sure your tank is nearly empty or fill up twice before comparing).

P.S i do not a hate supermarkets as i used to run my trooper off it and it didnt make any difference to it, but the xc60 is a very tuned engine.

xc60 D5 awd se lux auto Black 2010

XC60KEV
Nov 20th, 2010, 21:32
I agree that the supermarket diesel is not as good as BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power but I find it hard to tell any difference of "normal" fuel. Both supernarkets and mainsyream garages diesel seem to have 7% Biodiesel too.

Since Tesco started halving the number of points you get at the pump I've been using BP and Shell "super fuels" I do notice a difference but hard to describe what it is (apart from financial) :)l

ExMercR
Nov 20th, 2010, 21:44
Interesting. I have been running diesels (Merc, BMW) for the past several years and never really noticed a difference in refinement due to the source of the fuel. However, it is worth bearing in mind. I will do some experiments in my current car - as I wait the looong time till my XC60 arrives.

Keighley
Nov 23rd, 2010, 20:12
XC60 engine noise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You do get some engine noise when cold but ok when at running temp,
the quality of diesel plays a big part in the engine noise,drivers think diesel is diesel but there is a big variation,Then there is the suppliers secret adertive so i would advise drivers of xc60's to think twice before using supermarket diesel.
i use BP as it cuts engine grunt and knock down considarably (make sure your tank is nearly empty or fill up twice before comparing).

P.S i do not a hate supermarkets as i used to run my trooper off it and it didnt make any difference to it, but the xc60 is a very tuned engine.

xc60 D5 awd se lux auto Black 2010

Another reason good quallity diesel is req in the xc60 is there is a very fine carbon partical filter in the exaust which gets cleaned by the injectors over fueling and then burning the carbon away,Poor quallity diesel puts out more soot (carbon) so the sensor in the filter goes through this cycle more often wasting diesel.

Retired volvo marine diesel engineer, never been over 70mph in my xc60(What a waist):ani_heart:

wimorrison
Nov 23rd, 2010, 20:23
Another reason good quallity diesel is req in the xc60 is there is a very fine carbon partical filter in the exaust which gets cleaned by the injectors over fueling and then burning the carbon away,Poor quallity diesel puts out more soot (carbon) so the sensor in the filter goes through this cycle more often wasting diesel.

This has been discussed many times before and the inaccuracy of the statement you make has been explained.

All the diesel sold in UK is now ULSD and the amount of soot produced by the different fuels is the same (when used in the same engine). What will affect the DPF is the style and type of driving that you do, not the fuel.

You will also find statements from fuel tanker drivers explaining how the different fuels are created for different brands, yet are all collected from the same depots, often using the same tankers to deliver to the forecourts. In essence the fuel is all the same when manufactured and additives are placed into the fuel at the distribution depot to create the different grades and brands.

Vecais
Nov 24th, 2010, 05:07
This has been discussed many times before and the inaccuracy of the statement you make has been explained.

Not everybody thinks that the proposition is inaccurate. The fuel experts went very quiet when asked to verify that the respective brand fuel additives gave no help whatsoever.

I continue to believe that the premium brand fuels burn cleaner and consequently produce less soot and less blowby to contaminate the sump oil.

scotgc
Nov 24th, 2010, 14:25

All the diesel sold in UK is now ULSD and the amount of soot produced by the different fuels is the same (when used in the same engine). What will affect the DPF is the style and type of driving that you do, not the fuel.

You will also find statements from fuel tanker drivers explaining how the different fuels are created for different brands, yet are all collected from the same depots, often using the same tankers to deliver to the forecourts. In essence the fuel is all the same when manufactured and additives are placed into the fuel at the distribution depot to create the different grades and brands.

Just give up wmorrison, it's not worth it, the marketing people have won.

Vecais
Nov 24th, 2010, 20:52
Just give up wmorrison, it's not worth it, the marketing people have won.

No necessarily so. Where is some definitive and objective technical information that shows that the additives do not work? Until I see that I will continue to believe that the additives improve the combustion process.

wimorrison
Nov 24th, 2010, 21:05
No necessarily so. Where is some definitive and objective technical information that shows that the additives do not work? Until I see that I will continue to believe that the additives improve the combustion process.

As you would expect I am going to take the diametrically opposed position, namely, until someone provides the same level of proof you require that additives are anything other than marketing hype I will continue to save money (compared to the premium fuels) and use the standard fuel that the engine is specified to run with :)

Matteus XC60
Nov 24th, 2010, 21:08
As you would expect I am going to take the diametrically opposed position, namely, until someone provides the same level of proof you require that additives are anything other than marketing hype I will continue to save money (compared to the premium fuels) and use the standard fuel that the engine is specified to run with :)

Either of you could be right, but Wimorrison's approach is cheaper and for that, gets my vote. :thumbs_up:

Vecais
Nov 24th, 2010, 21:42
You could be right and I am wasting my money (almost imperceptible difference in price in this country.) However, if I am correct I could be saving money in the long run because the injectors remain cleaner, better mileage, less blowby, less soot etc.

It is a bit like having faith, you will never know until it is too late.

However I have an open mind and would be persuaded by convincing facts.

dodgyblue
Nov 25th, 2010, 04:10
just to add my 2 cents, Caltex Australia has replied to my email for information and has confirmed that Caltex Vortex Diesel and Caltex Diesel are essentially the same fuel with the sole differences being Vortex has additional cleaning agents for the fuel delivery systems and fragrance to make it smell better. Sulphur levels, cetane indices etc are exactly the same. :)

Keighley
Nov 25th, 2010, 11:08
I will try and clear some points up, there is no difference in the amount of soot given off if the diesel is burnt in the lab I.E. at optimum temp and optimum timing for that particular diesel fuel, this is what the marketing people mean when they say there is no difference (just like Volvo when they say you will get over 40mpg which they are right on a flat test track:car:)
The reason it is different in reallity is all deisels burn at different temp and with a very small shift this alters your engines timing giving lack of performance soot and less mpg.
as diesel relies on compresion and friction to ignight the fuel so you will always get timing differences.
The modern machine can be programmed to overcome most problems via the computer I.E oxygen levels amount of fuel but it cannot compensate for the temp that the fuel will ignite at because this is what the additive is for and all suppliers have there own.:car:
I hope this does not start world war 3:ani_heart:

retired volvo marine and construction engine engineer
twice yearly sent to sweeden on factory courses

xc60 awd se lux black 2010.

Vecais
Nov 25th, 2010, 12:53
I hope this does not start world war 3:ani_heart:

Not likely. Mostly we can have disagreements without any bloodshed.

Vecais
Nov 25th, 2010, 22:03

Fair enough. My XC60 handbook says "Diesel must fulfil the EN 590 or JIS K2204 standards....Only use diesel fuel from well-known producers. Never use diesel of dubious quality. (Page 210)"

I consider diesel from the discount fuel suppliers in Australia to be of dubious quality. I agree that there is probably not much difference between the Standard and Premium grades from the major suppliers, but I still choose the premium whenever it is available.

For a few dollars saving on a tankfull of fuel I would rather have the peace of mind that I have given it the best shot. It it still many many times cheaper to refuel the diesel Volvo than my previous petrol guzzlers.

wimorrison
Nov 25th, 2010, 22:13
Fair enough. My XC60 handbook says "Diesel must fulfil the EN 590 or JIS K2204 standards....Only use diesel fuel from well-known producers. Never use diesel of dubious quality. (Page 210)"

I consider diesel from the discount fuel suppliers in Australia to be of dubious quality. I agree that there is probably not much difference between the Standard and Premium grades from the major suppliers, but I still choose the premium whenever it is available.

For a few dollars saving on a tankfull of fuel I would rather have the peace of mind that I have given it the best shot. It it still many many times cheaper to refuel the diesel Volvo than my previous petrol guzzlers.

The price difference at my local garage is 6.5p per litre between standard diesel and premium which works out at almost 30p per gallon or £4.50 per tankful :(

You can now see why people in UK are reluctant to choose premium until the manufacturers claims are verified and proved by independent testing - especially when they are both produced to the same BS EN 590:2009 standard.

dodgyblue
Nov 26th, 2010, 00:58
The price difference at my local garage is 6.5p per litre between standard diesel and premium which works out at almost 30p per gallon or £4.50 per tankful :(

The price difference between regular Caltex Diesel and Caltex Vortex Diesel here in Melbourne is about 4 cpl. That's about $2.80 for a 70 litre tank. Less than a latte.. I figure I can afford to miss a coffee once a fortnight that if the manufacturer claims that it helps keeps the engine cleaner .. LOL

John Hook
Dec 10th, 2010, 20:30
Hello, just back on noise a bit. D3 sounds much more civilized and silent, nearly as a petrol engine. Compared to this, the older 5-cylinder diesels and unbelievably more noisier. My 3 yr old 2.4D car (163 HP, Geartronic) produces 55 dB at idling (sitting inside of course) and constantly around 60 dB during acceleration. It's much. But more irritating is the character of this noise, the 'roar'. Driving this car in town can go on one's nerves, really. Comparing 2.4D to other 'usual' diesels, e.g. a simple 2 litre HDI, those sound much more harmonious and likeable, to me. When comparing 2.4D to another 5-cylinde engine like Alfa, the latter sounds much-much nicer! My view is that this noise, the roar, the rattling and everything simply does not fit with Volvo's character. It's a big disappointment. Honestly, hands over your hearts, Volvos would deserve proper noise insulation and a much nicer sound tone. I gave up struggling with the noise, and sold it which proved to be big relief!

mauricef
Dec 11th, 2010, 09:21
I read that the engine sounds a bit like a V8, nothing wrong with that! :p

No expert on motor engines, but I do like the gruff and growl of my D3.
2011 XC60 D3 fwd Geartronic Terra Bronze deluxe heated leather seats.

XC60KEV
Dec 11th, 2010, 09:32
Hello, just back on noise a bit. D3 sounds much more civilized and silent, nearly as a petrol engine. Compared to this, the older 5-cylinder diesels and unbelievably more noisier. My 3 yr old 2.4D car (163 HP, Geartronic) produces 55 dB at idling (sitting inside of course) and constantly around 60 dB during acceleration. It's much. But more irritating is the character of this noise, the 'roar'. Driving this car in town can go on one's nerves, really. Comparing 2.4D to other 'usual' diesels, e.g. a simple 2 litre HDI, those sound much more harmonious and likeable, to me. When comparing 2.4D to another 5-cylinde engine like Alfa, the latter sounds much-much nicer! My view is that this noise, the roar, the rattling and everything simply does not fit with Volvo's character. It's a big disappointment. Honestly, hands over your hearts, Volvos would deserve proper noise insulation and a much nicer sound tone. I gave up struggling with the noise, and sold it which proved to be big relief!

I respect your opinion but noise and how it sounds is subjective and one persons irritating noise is anothers harmony.

It is widely reported and felt on the forum that both the D3 & D5 engines produce a sound which most find pleasing - with the exception perhaps at cold start up.

If my car develops noise which i dont consider normal I would take back to the dealer. If outwith warranty or maybe an older engine/car I would turn up the stereo but would not get rid of it for the noise alone.

See attached re the 5 cylinder volvo engine noise around 2 mins 30 secs in to clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zujc_swgLc

John Hook
Dec 11th, 2010, 12:54
Thanks XC60KEV for the helping intent. The dealer rounds were run several times, useless. However I would not wash together D3 and D5 sounds, they're different.

The new twin-turbo D5 in the video usually built into better insulated cars (S80, XC-ones) I would not compare with the old single-turbo S60 MY2008 2.4D AT (163). One sitting back in that would be horrified by the difference: huge turbo lag, acceleration just a struggle (with automatic), plus unpleasant and loud noise. Radio won't help if you can't hear it... too bad from a personal car.

blank354
Dec 11th, 2010, 13:28
just had my xc60 with the d5 engine,sounds great,had an audi a4 before,2.0 tdi and this engine sound like a proper tractor engine compared to the d5,defo recommend this engine

Matteus XC60
Dec 11th, 2010, 22:37
just had my xc60 with the d5 engine,sounds great,had an audi a4 before,2.0 tdi and this engine sound like a proper tractor engine compared to the d5,defo recommend this engine

Agreed, the new D5 engines are quiet when cruising, but have a lovely growl when you stick your foot down. Had it 3 days now and couldn't be happier with it.

T1gger
Feb 2nd, 2011, 21:28
I am quite fussy about engine & road noise so I tend to opt for quieter cars with good suspension. I think the XC60 2.5 175 RWD Geartronic is one of the best cars I've owned but the one thing I'm not that overjoyed with is the engine noise.

Its rattly for the first 10 mins but settles down when warm.

Up to 2000 revs, about 50-60mph, the noise is contained and tolerable but push much beyond 60 and I find it very tiring. Encourages you not to drive fast so might be a new safety feature!

crossedover
Feb 2nd, 2011, 22:24
I was really very happy with the noise characteristics on my test drives of the 205ps D5 - very quiet on the cruise and a lovely off-beat growl under acceleration.

One of the few things I dislike about my 123d BMW is that the engine noise is the worst of all worlds - sounds clattery at idle but as bland and anodyne as a 4 cylinder petrol under acceleration.

I loved the way the D5 was quiet when you want it to be yet had a bit of character too without ever being raucous.

Brodick
Feb 2nd, 2011, 22:27
I am quite fussy about engine & road noise so I tend to opt for quieter cars with good suspension. I think the XC60 2.5 175 RWD Geartronic is one of the best cars I've owned but the one thing I'm not that overjoyed with is the engine noise.

Its rattly for the first 10 mins but settles down when warm.

Up to 2000 revs, about 50-60mph, the noise is contained and tolerable but push much beyond 60 and I find it very tiring. Encourages you not to drive fast so might be a new safety feature!

I take it you mean the 2.4 (175) fwd. All engines will be noisy from cold. it is to do with emissons controls and such like.