PDA

View Full Version : S40 2.0 euro 4 - passenger side doors locked and won't open

Bikerjodie
Feb 8th, 2011, 16:16
Hi

S40 2005

I've seen a few posts with the same problem i have.

My passenger doors (front and back) are both locked and won't react to the central locking, i've tried to open the doors from the inside but they won't budge.

I have seen that you need to be able to get to the lock mechanism which means taking the door panel off, how do you do this though?

Please help, i'm about to take a hammer to the doors!!.... :lightning:

any help would be welcome

rapidvxr
Feb 8th, 2011, 19:26
hi
had the same probs as you along with various others all of which have cured themselves overnight , i have intermittant elec window one touch operation failure that moves from one side of car to the other , then locking and unlocking problems like yours that moves around the car its all very strange but would be quite dangerous in a accident

peter ruscoe
Feb 8th, 2011, 19:44
Hi,
had the same problem myself today,on my s40, doors wont open,
elec windows dead.went to car settings on the control panel
page 64 in the owners handbook.went through door settings
make sure its on all doors locked and unlocked together.
Worked for me, good luck ! Put that hammer away.
Pete:

Bikerjodie
Feb 8th, 2011, 21:06
Hi,
had the same problem myself today,on my s40, doors wont open,
elec windows dead.went to car settings on the control panel
page 64 in the owners handbook.went through door settings
make sure its on all doors locked and unlocked together.
Worked for me, good luck ! Put that hammer away.
Pete:

Pete

I'm unsure what you mean as i can't find my handbook, is it an easy process? Any chance you could tell me more and i promise to put the hammer aside....

iandonnadnjess
Feb 8th, 2011, 21:58
you have to go through the settings in your car its below the radio you can set the doors to open all at once or in turn , or set the alarm lighting and home safe timings etc ..

S40Matt
Feb 8th, 2011, 22:25
Press "Menu" and check door lock settings or reset defaults.

Bikerjodie
Feb 8th, 2011, 22:35
many thanks for this, i'll try this tomorrow, i had initially tried to dismantle the panels around the door, but this seems alot simpler....

.... i'll post back tomorrow...

Bikerjodie
Feb 9th, 2011, 09:11
This didn't work, all the doors are still locked!!

Is there anything else i can try?

would disconnecting the battery and then connecting it again do anything? (other than the obvious)

t5_monkey
Feb 9th, 2011, 09:18
Had the same issue once, it's not the doors themselves.

Both doors run on the same fuse

Get the fusebox out - and swap the fuses on the doors (left side to right side and vice versa), bet you a quid that the OTHER side won't work, and you'll fix this with a £1 fuse :)

PS welcome! where are you in glasgow? West end here

Bikerjodie
Feb 9th, 2011, 09:28
Had the same issue once, it's not the doors themselves.

Both doors run on the same fuse

Get the fusebox out - and swap the fuses on the doors (left side to right side and vice versa), bet you a quid that the OTHER side won't work, and you'll fix this with a £1 fuse :)

PS welcome! where are you in glasgow? West end here

I took all the fuses out yesterday and had a look at them, they seemed fine but i'll double check them again today...
I'm just at Maryhill Road, just down from the Jag and Volvo garage (luckily enough)
I don't suppose you know which fuses to switch over as i can't find my hand book?

Bikerjodie
Feb 9th, 2011, 10:08
Found my handbook, checked the fuses, nada....

.... getting really frustrated with it now.... can anyone suggest anything else?

Custard Avenger
Feb 9th, 2011, 10:50
Hi
My passenger doors (front and back) are both locked and won't react to the central locking, I’ve tried to open the doors from the inside but they won't budge.

I feel like my 2005 V50 is cursed. It has been back to the dealers twice for the same problem. Intermittently lose all functionality of locks/windows/mirrors on the passenger side. This is particularly embarrassing when you have to make the wife climb over the driver’s seat!

Unfortunately I can't tell you what was done to "cure" the problem. The first instance last November resulted in my car being kept for 2 weeks with a "Software Upgrade" being implemented on the control box.

Before Christmas the problem came back... then the alternator died so the car was dragged to the dealer on new year’s eve where the alternator was replaced and the car kept for 3 weeks, but the door problem did not reoccur. (i even have a letter from the dealer stating that they will fix any reoccurrence of the passenger locks/window/mirror issue once my 1 year used car warranty expires.)

Got the car back end of Jan and there has been no further door issues since. However last a grinding noise from the driver-side front wheel caused another detour back to the dealer where my car currently resides.

t5_monkey
Feb 9th, 2011, 10:53
I took all the fuses out yesterday and had a look at them, they seemed fine but i'll double check them again today...
I'm just at Maryhill Road, just down from the Jag and Volvo garage (luckily enough)
I don't suppose you know which fuses to switch over as i can't find my hand book?

I'm literally just down the road from you - behind the Tescos on Maryhill road!

Did you put a fresh fuse in where the door fuse was?

Try Maryhill MOT they are good, as are Volvomax on the southside.

Bikerjodie
Feb 9th, 2011, 11:09
I'm literally just down the road from you - behind the Tescos on Maryhill road!

Did you put a fresh fuse in where the door fuse was?

Try Maryhill MOT they are good, as are Volvomax on the southside.

I swapped the fuses about as you've suggested, but the same thing was happening on the passenger side...
... i've contacted a mobile mechanic to come out about another matter, a noisy fuel filter (or something near it), he said he'll have a look at the doors too.

How would i open the door when they're jammed shut?

Bikerjodie
Feb 9th, 2011, 11:10
I feel like my 2005 V50 is cursed. It has been back to the dealers twice for the same problem. Intermittently lose all functionality of locks/windows/mirrors on the passenger side. This is particularly embarrassing when you have to make the wife climb over the driver’s seat!

Unfortunately I can't tell you what was done to "cure" the problem. The first instance last November resulted in my car being kept for 2 weeks with a "Software Upgrade" being implemented on the control box.

Before Christmas the problem came back... then the alternator died so the car was dragged to the dealer on new year’s eve where the alternator was replaced and the car kept for 3 weeks, but the door problem did not reoccur. (i even have a letter from the dealer stating that they will fix any reoccurrence of the passenger locks/window/mirror issue once my 1 year used car warranty expires.)

Got the car back end of Jan and there has been no further door issues since. However last a grinding noise from the driver-side front wheel caused another detour back to the dealer where my car currently resides.

Have they given you a courtesy car in the meantime?

The above would put you off getting another volvo....

Custard Avenger
Feb 9th, 2011, 12:27
Have they given you a courtesy car in the meantime?

The above would put you off getting another volvo....

I agree!! I can't really fault the dealer they have always been good (apart from selling me a Friday afternoon car), I turned up last night 15 minutes before they closed but they took my car and managed to give me a courtesy car (an old S60). The 60 plate S40 R-Design D4 (177 brake) they gave me was a fantastic courtesy car!!!

But as much as i like Volvo cars (this V50 is my first, but wanted one for ages) I really can't see myself getting another. Unless the gods are kind to me and a new V60 is bequeathed by an unknown wealthy benefactor!!

For comparison I ran my Honda Civic Type-R for 5 years and over 100k miles with only a blow-out (no real drama) and a creaky steering column (Apparently a common issue) to highlight.

I will keep you posted with any further issues is have with the passenger side electronics. Likewise, let me know if you ever get to the root cause!!

Cheers, Paul.

RSVolvo
Feb 9th, 2011, 13:05
I used to have a 55 plate S40 2.0D. Whilst I had it there was a recall notice affecting the wiring connections from the body of the car to the doors and they were replaced. Shortly after they were replaced I lost all electrics down the passenger side. As it was linked to the recall I took it straight back to the dealer who fixed it. But they had to remove the inside door panel to be able to open the door before they could fix it. So if you've checked all the more obvious possibilities fuses etc, it could be this known defect.

janty
Feb 14th, 2011, 19:34
I had the same problem, go to the door where it meets the wing, half way up the door where the wiring loom joins together come in 3" and thump the door hard with your hand then try keys keep doing this, i promise it works. Once opened go into menu and take car off autolock, disconnect wiring loom and spray with grease. Hope you get this before you damage yor car and are left with bill goodluck chum

Bikerjodie
Feb 18th, 2011, 14:09
The mechanic who has the car said that the deadbolts have armed and that there's no way to open the doors other than to bust the locks!!

This has been a pain in the derriere!!!!

Custard Avenger
Feb 21st, 2011, 15:47
This has been a pain in the derriere!!!!

Oh yes!! My V50 decided that on Saturday afternoon the passenger doors were to be locked until sufficient inconvenience had been caused! The issue vanished this morning on the way to work. This is now the 3rd time the car will be going back to the dealers I bought it from for investigation.

lamppost
Mar 12th, 2011, 20:05
i had this problem with my 55 plate s40, volvo said it is a commen problem with the metal connectors in the wiring loom(a build up of resistance) for the power down each side of the car they cut a section of the loom out of each side and replaced it with gold connectors which wont hold the build up, its been fine ever since

Clan
Mar 12th, 2011, 20:31
Yes the above is the answer i am amazed that a volvo dealer doesnt know this they have service bulletins and also your individual car will have this listed against it as a possible problem on the computer in the dealer ., It happens mainly on 2006 model year , 2007 have gold plated contacts as standard , ford focus doesnt have this problem it doesnt have the connector block . neither did the S40/V50 until 2005 , someone decided it ought to have one for some reason . Persevere keep trying to unlock the doors and one day soon it will suddently pop unlocked . as suggested above hitting the front door half way down the front edge and also heating up the door may help as in a long journey with the heat on ..

Custard Avenger
Mar 14th, 2011, 08:55
Yes the above is the answer i am amazed that a volvo dealer doesnt know this they have service bulletins and also your individual car will have this listed against it as a possible problem on the computer in the dealer

The dealer I bought my V50 from has now fixed* this issue on my V50 at the third attempt by replacing the wiring harness.

*It had been 'fixed' before so I won't hold my breath.

Manolo
Apr 9th, 2011, 20:31
My 2006 s40, has decide to lock the passenger side, and will not open from the inside.

For those that have had it fixed by having the connectors replaced, can I ask approximately how much this would cost? I am in Coventry.

Thanks

Clan
Apr 9th, 2011, 20:39
My 2006 s40, has decide to lock the passenger side, and will not open from the inside.

For those that have had it fixed by having the connectors replaced, can I ask approximately how much this would cost? I am in Coventry.

Thanks

These usualy failed within the warranty period and also when just out , then volvo contributed , but it is too late now i guess . I cant believe it is the first time it has played up ... Did you recently buy the car? If it was reported to the dealer when it first happened some years ago it would have been fixed free . ( assuming you havent had the car long ! )
The job takes 3 hours ,both dorrs have to come off , not cheap ...
If you are patient one day you will find it unlocks , as humidity /temperature changes , that is the time to make sure it doent lock again until fixed .

glegalee
Sep 13th, 2014, 07:36
Good morning all, or is it?

This morning at 06:30 I went out to my 55 plate S40, unlocked it with the key fob only to find that both of the doors on the drivers side (Right, UK) would not unlock regardless of how many times I locked and unlocked, it resulting in me having to climb over the center console from the passenger side in order to get to work. Much to my annoyance I also found that the controls mounted on the door did not work, but there was a repetitive clicking from inside the drivers door once every 2 seconds or so, I have heard this before if I don't shut the drivers door hard enough, but a quick re open and close usually cures this. Anyway after getting to work I jumped on here to search for help and lo, I found this thread.

After reading through the posts I came across the 3" thump trick and thought hey I'll give that a go since it's free before I call the AA and get them to have a go at fixing it while I'm working my shift.

I am pleased to say that the 3" thump trick worked a treat and I was able to access my car through the drivers side again.

Maybe it would be a good idea for me to take the car to Volvo and have them replace the connectors on both sides to the gold version to prevent this from happening again in the future.

But I would like to thank janty today for his quick fix idea.

Cheers G.

Clan
Sep 13th, 2014, 09:35
Good morning all, or is it?

This morning at 06:30 I went out to my 55 plate S40, unlocked it with the key fob only to find that both of the doors on the drivers side (Right, UK) would not unlock regardless of how many times I locked and unlocked, it resulting in me having to climb over the center console from the passenger side in order to get to work. Much to my annoyance I also found that the controls mounted on the door did not work, but there was a repetitive clicking from inside the drivers door once every 2 seconds or so, I have heard this before if I don't shut the drivers door hard enough, but a quick re open and close usually cures this. Anyway after getting to work I jumped on here to search for help and lo, I found this thread.

After reading through the posts I came across the 3" thump trick and thought hey I'll give that a go since it's free before I call the AA and get them to have a go at fixing it while I'm working my shift.

I am pleased to say that the 3" thump trick worked a treat and I was able to access my car through the drivers side again.

Maybe it would be a good idea for me to take the car to Volvo and have them replace the connectors on both sides to the gold version to prevent this from happening again in the future.

But I would like to thank janty today for his quick fix idea.

Cheers G.

The replacement of the door connectors was a free action.. your car may be still covered . ask the dealer ..

glegalee
Sep 13th, 2014, 11:32
Thanks Clan, I'll check.

Edit: Just called my local Volvo dealer and they said "there's currently no outstanding actions on your vehicle" and that a connector on the A pillar was replaced at some point in the past, and also that any sort of warranty would have run out in 2009 so it would be a paid repair and that I need to book it in for an inspection.

Cheers G.

DEF2001
Dec 29th, 2014, 23:03
I have a 2004 v50 I have an issue with the passenger door not unlocking with the central locking it works fine with the internal door handle and can be looked using the manual nob. When I use the central locking about a second later I can hear what I assume is a relay clicking in the door. The deadlocks I think sound like they are working fine. I don't think its the wiring loom problem as I had it off and it looked really clean. Has any one any ideas before I start taking the door apart.
Many thanks

DEF2001
Dec 30th, 2014, 17:41
The 3 inch door bang worked for me. I tried it last night with no success but just tired after returning from work before locking the car and what do you know it worked. How an earth did some one work this out and what are the mechanics about it.