PDA

View Full Version : front suspension set up

tom-madbiker
Mar 7th, 2011, 22:31
i have lowered my estate 40mm at the front and 30mm at the rear what is a good start for setting up the suspension ie caster/camber ect and what is good for tracking thinking what shims roughly and the angles just want to get it roughly right before going to the tracking place

classicswede
Mar 7th, 2011, 23:23
Keep the shims as is for now.
Set the caster camber as per green book

swedishandgerman
Mar 8th, 2011, 09:30
Agree completely with the above post. Lowered springs shouldn't affect the steering geometry

My Amazon drives nicely with the wheels set with a fraction of toe-in. Previously it was more than 1mm, now I have it set at just a bit less than parellel

Factory setting for the camber (this is the bit that might be slightly affect by different springs) is 0 degrees. However, I've read lots of recommendations to go for -0.5 degrees. From memory, 4 x 1/8" shims gave me -0.5 degrees, as mine was still at the factory setting of 0. It's a bit of trial and error, and finding a wheel alignment centre that will fiddle about with adding and removing shims is difficult! Wish there was somewhere you can hire stuff like Gunsons Trakrite and the camber measuring thing they make - too expensive to buy

Castor - my advice is to leave well alone because unless you've dropped the whole front frame or the body is bent, I don't see any reason why castor should ever change

For info for readers who are unfamiliar with what all this means:

Camber is the anglular displacement between the vertical axis of the wheel compared to the verticle axis of the car looking from the front or back

Castor is the angular displacement of of the vertical axis of the suspension compared to the vertical axis of the car looking from the side

Toe is the angular displacement between the vertical axis of the 2 wheels on an axle compared to the longitudinal axis of the car - IE Toe-in is when the wheels are anlged in at the front

amazon69
Mar 8th, 2011, 11:04
Just as a little tip, if you want to measure camber easily, use an ipod or ipad with a free angle app. Works to within 1/10th degree. A lot easier than string, wood and numbers. And, as a rule, with camber a change of 0.75° requires 3mm change in shims. (according to Rob at amazon cars)

swedishandgerman
Mar 8th, 2011, 11:21
Just as a little tip, if you want to measure camber easily, use an ipod or ipad with a free angle app. Works to within 1/10th degree. A lot easier than string, wood and numbers.

Fantastic!! Actually, this makes buying a Gunson Trakrite toe-measuring thinger more attractive as it is the camber/castor part of it that makes it too expensive. Thanks - that is a superb tip!!

222s
Mar 8th, 2011, 11:22
as a rule, with camber a change of 0.75° requires 3mm change in shims. (according to Rob at amazon cars)

Very useful - thanks!

Do you know if the camber shims are still available?

Derek UK
Mar 8th, 2011, 12:54
Just as a little tip, if you want to measure camber easily, use an ipod or ipad with a free angle app. Works to within 1/10th degree. A lot easier than string, wood and numbers. And, as a rule, with camber a change of 0.75° requires 3mm change in shims. (according to Rob at amazon cars)

Interesting. Not that I've got either, or likely to have either, any time in the forseeable future.

Looks like 0.25º = 1mm, so some 1mm sheet and some snips would make you a few shims with no problems. Pop a couple in the 4 positions and see how it feels.

tom-madbiker
Mar 8th, 2011, 22:58
problem is im starting from scratch as i dropped the crossmember off and everything was shotblasted and repainted also had polybush on everything thanks to classicswede

BenR
Mar 8th, 2011, 23:01
Don't forget you will mess up the toe every time you adjust the camber - needs re-setting after adding/deleting shims

swedishandgerman
Mar 10th, 2011, 16:16
Just found this:

http://www.glenngoodspeed.com/volvo/caster.htm

Just happened to stumble upon it whilst looking for some instructions for a Trakrite!

swedishandgerman
Mar 10th, 2011, 16:26
Do you know if the camber shims are still available?

Here: http://www.cvi-automotive.se/en/articles/2.5498.42729/adjuster-shim-100

I know Rob at Amazoncars sells them too. I expect Simon at Brookhouse sells them too.