PDA

View Full Version : V70 Brake Light Issues

rickardrydell
Apr 25th, 2011, 06:53
Got in the car (2003MY V70) on Friday and received a "check brake light message".

Replaced both bulbs (what a bitch to do, my hands are cut to shreds).

Drove to my brothers yesterday, and the message is still coming up, when the brake pedal is depressed.

The high level is working, just the lower two are not illuminating.

I found this - http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=36432&highlight=check+brake+light&page=2

There is a picture showing a relay RMI5 in the boot, which may very well be the issue.

According to my manual, the brake light fuse is NO.3, 15AMP. The fuse board shows 18 fuses

Can anyone shed any light on this, before I get hold of a fuse

Need to sort asap, as having very few brake lights doesnt fill me with confidence when driving, going on the state of some people's driving yesterday.

Missing Lincs
Apr 25th, 2011, 08:39
I think you've most likely found the answer in the other topic. Relay failure is a common problem. Go to a dealership, the part isn't too pricey and some dealers have been know to fit the relay or at least show you which one it is.
If you want to check the fuse, go by the legend on the fusebox.

Lancee
Apr 25th, 2011, 09:22
The following is a copy of a post based on my own my own experience! It worked for me.

If your centre brake light works but the two side ones don't, even after bulb replacement it may well be down to the fact that they are controlled by seperate relays (a safety feature) and that the relay concerned has failed.
The relay (solid state) at position RMI5 in the rear electronic module controls the brake light pair, and even if you can hear it clicking when you press the pedal it could well still be faulty.
The solution is to replace it (RMI5) with relay part number V30765030.
However some cars have a double relay which covers positions RMI5 (brake lights) AND RMI6 (fog lamp/s).
The solution is as above, to replace this old double relay (part number 9494782) for relay part number V30765030 at RMI5, AND IN ADDITION fitting a second relay part number V08651661 at relay position RMI6 (fog lamp/s).
Total cost from Volvo around £16.50 for both relays.
I have posted the above from my own recent (bitter!) experience (02 V70 D5) in the hope that it may help another member, in return for the terrific help that I have received via the forum, thanks!

rickardrydell
Apr 25th, 2011, 16:41
I have removed the one at RMI5, as shown on the diagram in the above link and it has the part number 9441161.

I take it all I need to do now is replace it with a new relay, part number V30765030

Lancee
Apr 26th, 2011, 18:32
Can't speak for the relay which came out of yours, mine was the twin version (9494782 brake and fog), which I then replaced with the two seperate relays.
The part no V30765030 should be the right one for the brake lights, it was for my (02) car, however I think you will have to get the relay from a Volvo dealer anyway so perhaps get them to double check for you to make 100 percent sure. Good luck!

rickardrydell
Apr 29th, 2011, 19:58
I got hold of the correct relay, V30765030.

Looking at the relays, RMI1-7. There is nothing at 7 or 1

I replaced the one at 5, with the above and it still wont work.

The local dealer confirmed the recall from 2002, but my car is well outside this.

If I had any hair it would be torn out. HELP!!!

skv70d5
Nov 4th, 2013, 11:55
I have a 2003 V70 D5 LHD.

High brake light works as it has its own relay.

Both tail stop lights do not work, whereas all other tail lights work.

All fuses are OK and so are all bulbs.

I have swapped MI4 with MI5, and my reverse lights still work but my stop lights do not.

I have also swapped SH2 with SH6, and my rear fog light still works but my stop lights do not.

mikealder
Nov 4th, 2013, 14:22
Have you checked BOTH fuses for the brake lights 3 & 14

After that I would get a meter and look for the 12V feed on the relay socket RMI5 pin 5 of the relay socket with respect to chassis, you should have +12V on that pin all the time. Put the relay back in then move to next step assuming 12V was found on Pin 5 of the relay socket

Pull fuse 11D/14 and insert meter probe in to the fuse socket (terminal 1 which is the live pre-fuse side) connect other meter probe to chassis and get a helper to depress the brake pedal, if you get 12V here there is nothing wrong with the CEM/ REM and I would be looking for damage to the Green wire especially around splice 53/667 which you will find in the main wiring loom around the base of the left rear lower light assembly, it should have three green wires in it - Mike

five alive
Nov 4th, 2013, 21:22
Had this exact problem last week,did all the usual,fuse check,bulbs etc,read about the relay issue on here and got a replacement from the dealer via post,,fitted it in and all was good,,,,,,,,Down side if i had known the relay had ford motor company stamped on it i would have driven to my local ford dealer and got it from them,,,,oh well live n learn

skv70d5
Nov 5th, 2013, 18:22
Tks Mike.

Socket 5 for MI5 does not give any voltage when the voltmeters negative probe touches the RECM's earth screw, regardless if the ignition is off or on all the way before ignition is initiated.

Does this mean that the RECM is defective, and if so, can it be fixed or must it be replaced?

mikealder
Nov 5th, 2013, 18:44
Look for a voltage at Fuse 11D/14 with the brake pedal depressed and the relay back in, if this doesn't work you are looking at an internal fault in the REM which really isn't cost effective to replace, I can supply you with details on how to work around the issue but you will lose brake bulb failure detection which is nothing in comparison to the cost of a replacement REM - Mike

Verglas
Nov 5th, 2013, 20:56
another supplier (http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=SW03951) of identical relays if anyone is having trouble find one (£3-ish + free post !)