PDA

View Full Version : Sensus screen failure

Mrjon
Jun 19th, 2011, 14:54
Just fired the XC up to discover the sensus screen is remaining blank, and after the system finishes booting up I get the message "Driver alert service required" on the message centre.
Off to the helpful local service dept for me tomorrow then, hopefully its just software rather than the actual screen thats failed.
Has anyone else had a problem? I don't remember reading about anything like this.
Cheers

Jon

11.5 my D5

elch77
Jun 19th, 2011, 16:29
Just received a call from my girlfriend, telling me there's the same problem with our XC60!

According to a German forum there should be an update available. Can't confirm this, but will let you know after tomorrow's visit at local Volvo dealer/garage.

Mrjon
Jun 19th, 2011, 16:35
Many thanks. I'll also post when I've been to the dealers tomorrow and find the cause of the problem. The only thing I've found online is one example of the exact same fault happening to someone in the USA last month. It's sounding like software then.With regards to an update mine was in for its QAI only 6 days ago so should be as up to date as its possible to be.

crossedover
Jun 19th, 2011, 23:26
Out of interest, are you able to use the climate and/or ICE functions albeit without a display or does it simply not work?

Mrjon
Jun 19th, 2011, 23:35
No, the whole thing is shot, even the park sensors don't beep !

crossedover
Jun 19th, 2011, 23:43
Hmm, that is bad!

elch77
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:49
I could reboot the system by pulling out the fuses for Audio and Infotainment. After this everything works fine except Driver Alert. I think it reacts more or too sensitive than before. Let's see what the dealer says...

By the way, did you use an iPhone before system broke down? My girlfriend used it via USB as iPod when it was also connected via Bluetooth as iPhone. Maybe this is the reason. Normal iPod worked fine before.

Mrjon
Jun 20th, 2011, 14:21
I managed to clear the fault myself by using the following technical procedure.
1) have a hot bath
2) go to bed for the night
3) in the morning get in the car to go to dealers and you should find the system is back to normal.

I took it in to the dealers anyway and they've updated the software, took about 1.5 hours. All is OK again.

I've got an ipod permanently plugged in, and use an HTC via bluetooth for the phone. I'd not done anything out of the ordinary before it crashed.

elch77
Jun 20th, 2011, 19:52
They also checked my XC60's software, but it's the latest version as my car is only 3 weeks old. There was no failure protocol.

Mmh, let's see if this will happen again.

John Pearce
Jun 21st, 2011, 10:22
Ah - me too! Got in XC60 last night and screen blank. SATNAV, Radio, Tel, Media all gone. Climate control seems OK. Bah! Had to read a map!

Seriously, this is worrying, what else might go blank? Am awaiting a call from Marshalls in Nottingham to take it in.

Will keep you posted.

Ekwi
Jun 21st, 2011, 18:28
I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago. I then read on a Swedish xc60 forum about people who had experienced the same. One of them had been told from his mechanic that it was related to the poor battery capacity, in that if the battery was low on charge the infotainment system and the screen had a low priority and therefore would not work. In My case it seems quite reasonable, because the infotainment system did start working after aproximatly 1.5 hour of driving (when starting the car after a break).

When I spoke to my mechanic he had no idea what it was, he thought that it was software related, but he did not reject the idea of it being a battery problem.

(excuse My english, hopefully you get My message anyhow...)

XC60MY12
Jun 21st, 2011, 19:52
(excuse My english, hopefully you get My message anyhow...)

It's considerably better than a lot of native speakers and a damn sight better than my Swedish! :a1:

Clan
Jun 21st, 2011, 20:06
yes the infotainment will shut off if the battery goes low but as soon as the engine is started it should come back to life ...

darbs
Jun 22nd, 2011, 00:05
yes the infotainment will shut off if the battery goes low but as soon as the engine is started it should come back to life ...

agreed. the battery only runs the power when the engine is off. when it's on, power is taken from the engine via the alternator. that said, if the sensus system uses so much power that it can hinder the battery recharging following a start, then i guess it would make sense that sensus doesn't come to life until the battery has charged to a certain level. if this is the case, the only way to avoid the sensus shutdown issue would be to only very seldom do short journeys. without air con on, it takes about 15 minutes of the engine running for the battery to recover from each start - although i think it's much less on cars with start/ stop technology. it might be longer than 15 mins on cars which are running sensus. if this is the case, it's a pretty poor situation as you're always going to face times where sensus will shutdown!

John Pearce
Jun 22nd, 2011, 19:06
How weird... took the car in to Marshalls Nottingham today (screen still not working). Waited whilst technician looked at it - he returns and tells me all is working well - there is no problem! I say "I don't believe it" (Victor Meldew style) Yet it IS working.... I explain I have had it on and off for at least 12 times and it has not worked since three days ago.... he says monitor it... I drive home with all working..... So... what is the issue here? I am expecting it to fail at some other time... but in the meantime... all seems well....

Mrjon
Jun 22nd, 2011, 19:36
The technician at my dealers said he'd seen a bulletin about the sensus fault when he was down at Volvo UK's HQ, so they seem aware of the isue.

John Pearce
Jun 22nd, 2011, 20:36
This is very helpful - I have just read the earlier commentsabout low battery... That explains it. I was at a Summer fair on Saturday and used my electric pump to blow up balloons. The care was definitely low on battery power when I started it up - so I now have a reason for both the loss and the refinding of screen brightness. Thanks all - will inform Marshalls of Nottingham.

Mrjon
Jun 22nd, 2011, 20:52
Hmm, seem to recall there may have been an embarrassing sidelight switch left in the wrong position incident before my failure too.

elch77
Jun 23rd, 2011, 15:54
The theory of the low battery would make sense, somehow, but in my case the car was driven before more than half an hour, then shortly stopped. After the break the problem occured. So I guess a low battery cannot cause this fault.

goodinr
Jun 24th, 2011, 15:14
Same with Me complete screen failure, Only way I could get it back up and running was to remove main audio 40amp fuse under glove box and refit.
Seems just like a complete feezing of my computer at home !.
Although this got system up and running again does anyone know of a soft reboot (equivelant to control /alt /delete) ?.
I dont think this was due to a low battery voltage as car is a daily driver and does not do many short journeys.
Ron.

dilaurenzi
Jul 27th, 2011, 20:34
Same with Me complete screen failure, Only way I could get it back up and running was to remove main audio 40amp fuse under glove box and refit.
Seems just like a complete feezing of my computer at home !.
Although this got system up and running again does anyone know of a soft reboot (equivelant to control /alt /delete) ?.
I dont think this was due to a low battery voltage as car is a daily driver and does not do many short journeys.
Ron.
Just encoutered same problem, removed main audio 40amp fuse under glove box (section A) too... and suddenly... everything back on track.

goodinr
Jul 27th, 2011, 21:28
Just had the car in for its 3 month initial check up and mentioned the screen blanking problem to the service tech, He told me it was a known problem and if I had time to wait they had new software to cure this fault.
This took about an hour and seemed to change some of the sat nav also, it now has the ability to install your own P.O.I,s (no idea how to do this though), Time will tell if this has improved matters but the screen blanked all its sat nav information last week. However this time selecting radio and then back to sat nav put the display back on, i,e it did not freeze the whole system.

Ron.

jimbg
Jul 28th, 2011, 08:37
it now has the ability to install your own P.O.I,s (no idea how to do this though)

Ron.

See the Speed Camera/RTI Thread....

Jim

John Pearce
Aug 2nd, 2011, 11:54
My screen went blank again last week.... there had been no problems since I took it in to Marshalls and we talked of the "low battery" diagnosis. but I too switched the Radio on and then a few more buttons and it cam on after about 3 minutes - annoying...will keep an eye out....

Clan
Aug 25th, 2011, 20:46
there is a new software update issued recently for the blank screen problem and a few other sensus bugs ..

Matteus XC60
Nov 19th, 2011, 13:31
Just encoutered same problem, removed main audio 40amp fuse under glove box (section A) too... and suddenly... everything back on track.

I've just had the same problem after a year of trouble free use of the sensus system. As dilaurenzi did above, I removed the 40A audio entertainment fuse ( once I'd worked out that the manual is, of course, for the LHD model, hence the two fuse boxes the other way round) and replaced it again and all seems fixed. Wierd fix, but I'm relieved.

John Pearce
Nov 22nd, 2011, 13:28
I've just had the same problem after a year of trouble free use of the sensus system. As dilaurenzi did above, I removed the 40A audio entertainment fuse ( once I'd worked out that the manual is, of course, for the LHD model, hence the two fuse boxes the other way round) and replaced it again and all seems fixed. Wierd fix, but I'm relieved.
Did you REMOVE the 40amp fuse or replace it?
If removed what is the consequence of that?

It happened again this week-end but agfter switching off the car and then on agaion all OK... weird and annoying... All esle absolutely wonderful with the car!

XC60MY12
Nov 22nd, 2011, 13:49
Did you REMOVE the 40amp fuse or replace it?
If removed what is the consequence of that?

It happened again this week-end but agfter switching off the car and then on agaion all OK... weird and annoying... All esle absolutely wonderful with the car!

When all else fails...

John Pearce
Nov 22nd, 2011, 14:08
Thanks and very sorry for the typos in my previous! (and him an ex English teecher!)

jimbg
Nov 22nd, 2011, 15:09
Thanks and very sorry for the typos in my previous! (and him an ex English teecher!)

Ha, ha very good!!

richy2
Nov 22nd, 2011, 16:23
I've had it once in 8 months and 10,000 miles - I was pushed for time so couldn't dig around to locate the fuse. It eventually rectified itself about 2 hours into the journey and has (touch wood) been fine since.

XC60MY12
Nov 22nd, 2011, 17:41

And he an ex English teecher!

See me after skool

Matteus XC60
Dec 13th, 2011, 14:29
I've had it once in 8 months and 10,000 miles .......

Perhaps you should try one of those internet dating websites Richy. Not sure that measuring one's prowess in the bedroom by reference to miles driven is going to catch on though.....;)

XC60MY12
Dec 13th, 2011, 14:53
Perhaps you should try one of those internet dating websites Richy. Not sure that measuring one's prowess in the bedroom by reference to miles driven is going to catch on though.....;)

Isn't there something about a car being a pen15 substitute?

(Stop it... NOW!)

Matteus XC60
Dec 13th, 2011, 16:10
Isn't there something about a car being a pen15 substitute?

(Stop it... NOW!)

Yep. That's why we've all bought big ones :D

Mrjon
Dec 13th, 2011, 17:23
Sure enough,I have noticed as I get older my cars are getting bigger and bigger , where as the old fella is in decline

XC60MY12
Dec 13th, 2011, 20:09
Sure enough,I have noticed as I get older my cars are getting bigger and bigger , where as the old fella is in decline

Perhaps you should consider moving away from the Peak District. Can I suggest Lower Peover in Cheshire?

dellpitch
Apr 24th, 2012, 22:00
Hi
My XC60, new July last year MY12 model the sensus system failed in January this year, despite three software updates still not working.
Spoke to the dealer today and they tell me there is a complete rewrite of the Sensus software that will not be available until May at the earlist.
Has anyone else experienced such a delay or can help with other information.
Thanks in advange for any replies.

jimbg
Apr 24th, 2012, 22:15
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=150616&page=3

Read post no 30

dellpitch
Apr 24th, 2012, 22:21
jimbg, many thanks for your quick reply which seems to be what the Bristol dealer is saying without giving dates.

Once again many thanks.

RSmith
Apr 25th, 2012, 14:16
Mine also failed a few days after buying the car, I called Volvo and they said bring it in tomorrow. When I got in the car next day to go there it was working again, I went anyway and they had a look at it and said all was fine. The car is about one month old now so will ask about the software when I go for my 3 month quality check, otherwise the car is great, lets hope the software update solves this little niggle.

dellpitch
May 11th, 2012, 22:40
Hi

Contacted the Bristol Volvo dealers today by arrangement regarding the Sensus system.

Upgrade promised for week 20 (next week), so far they have no news and do not know if week 20 means release to dealers for testing or to customers.
Has anybody been given any different information. Mine has not worked since January and I must amit to being more than a bit frustrated!

Any information appreciated.

Clan
May 11th, 2012, 22:48
Hi

Contacted the Bristol Volvo dealers today by arrangement regarding the Sensus system.

Upgrade promised for week 20 (next week), so far they have no news and do not know if week 20 means release to dealers for testing or to customers.
Has anybody been given any different information. Mine has not worked since January and I must amit to being more than a bit frustrated!

Any information appreciated.

Its not quite week 20 yet , hopefully you have left it so that they will let you know when to go in for the software update sometime very soon ...
Dealers cant test software , and volvo wouldnt launch it without being tested at the factory . If your SENSUS hasnt worked at all since january then there could well be something else physicaly wrong with it .

dellpitch
May 12th, 2012, 11:08
Clan

Thanks for your prompt reply.
The only part of my Sensus system to still operate is the ability to change the temperature settings.
The Bristol dealer has had the car back in four time & has re-installed the latest updates each time only for it to fail again within a day or two.

They have confimed to me that they expected (hoped) that the new software would be available next week, but as at Friday had not had any confirmation.

Mine apparently is one out of 6/7 cars in a similar position.

Regards

dellpitch
May 16th, 2012, 21:55
Had the new sensus system installed on my car last Monday.
So far so good, the new trip statistics module seems to be very useful.
The whole system seems to have been updated and for the better, but early days yet!

Regards

Clan
May 16th, 2012, 21:59
excellent news !

jimbg
May 16th, 2012, 22:02
So far so good, the new trip statistics module seems to be very useful.

What does that do then?

Clan
May 17th, 2012, 19:24
Like this ....

mfresh
May 23rd, 2012, 10:22
Clan - how do you access this?

My car came back from a service yesterday and the dealer said that he had updated all software, but I haven't noticed anything different about the Sensus system.

RSmith
May 23rd, 2012, 15:28
Like this ....

Will we all have this if we request a software upgrade ? I love new tech toys.

Clan
May 23rd, 2012, 19:32
Clan - how do you access this?

My car came back from a service yesterday and the dealer said that he had updated all software, but I haven't noticed anything different about the Sensus system.

Its on the "My Car" menu ...

mfresh
May 24th, 2012, 09:51
Mmmm. I don't seem to have anything new in this menu. Is there a way to tell what version of the Sensus software a car is running?

ChatsV60
May 24th, 2012, 10:16
This is the US market version but worth a read

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?174552-Brand-new-sensus-update-(V3-)

mfresh
May 25th, 2012, 14:51
Well I just spoke to the dealer who said that the Sensus upgrade hadn't been done during my service, even though I had specifically asked for it and delayed the date of the service by a couple of weeks so that it would be available.

Anyway, the dealer was very helpful and has booked my car in to have the upgrade next Tuesday.

What he said was interesting: that he had just been on a Volvo training course and been told that the new Sensus software was the software that XC60s should have come with originally - ie it now has all the necessary features and is of the necessary quality.

Make of that what you will: new software always has new bugs, but it sounds like Volvo feel it is a significant improvement on what was on offer before...

tem
May 30th, 2012, 22:15
Like this ....

I called into my dealer today and amongst other things, I mentioned the Senus update.
They said that they had not done one, but if I could wait, they would give my V60 a go.
After a while they came back and said the update had failed, as they required additional equipment, which they have now ordered.

May give them another visit in a couple of weeks.

tem.

Whiterdesign
Jun 6th, 2012, 20:26
Clan I notice from your posts that you have had the sensus upgrade done giving you trip stats etc. Mine has been in today due to sensus problems and the dealer says that it already had the latest software which they have re loaded. Mine was built in march. This does not seem right can you let me know what version the new software is or if there is anyone else out there who can help me. According to the dealer when they connect the car to their kit it connects to Volvo servers which tells them what the latest software is - so no update showing, help would be gratefully received.

wimorrison
Jun 6th, 2012, 20:33
Clan I notice from your posts that you have had the sensus upgrade done giving you trip stats etc. Mine has been in today due to sensus problems and the dealer says that it already had the latest software which they have re loaded. Mine was built in march. This does not seem right can you let me know what version the new software is or if there is anyone else out there who can help me. According to the dealer when they connect the car to their kit it connects to Volvo servers which tells them what the latest software is - so no update showing, help would be gratefully received.

I think that you need to find out which model he has taken the picture from - it is clearly not an XC60 (the heated seat controls are on the floating centre panel, as is the fan speed control on an XC60, perhaps S60 and V60 also) and whilst the software may be applicable to the model pictured that picture is not from an XC60 ;)

jimbg
Jun 6th, 2012, 20:41

Just had my car upgraded today, the dealer knew what I was talking about and it took around an hour.

My car is a D3 AWD XC60 delivered September 2011., so a MY12 car.

While I was waiting I sat in the showroom XC60 and that did NOT have the latest software.

I certainly now have the Trip Statistics available under "My Car" and works as per the photo.

Now feeding in the Sat Nav disks for that upgrade, thought I would not start that until the Sensus upgrade. Hope to finish it on the trip to Bristol and back tomorrow.

Whiterdesign
Jun 6th, 2012, 20:50
Jimbg thanks for that , any chance of telling me which dealer did the upgrade for you. As I have said before my son works at a sister dealership next door to the Volvo one so he took my car in today. I have just spoken to him and he asked me to try and find out which dealer it was.thanks

Clan
Jun 6th, 2012, 22:17
I think that you need to find out which model he has taken the picture from - it is clearly not an XC60 (the heated seat controls are on the floating centre panel, as is the fan speed control on an XC60, perhaps S60 and V60 also) and whilst the software may be applicable to the model pictured that picture is not from an XC60 ;)

It might have been a V60 actualy . But the software applies to S80-S60-V70-XC70 -XC60 .....any one with sensus .

jimbg
Jun 6th, 2012, 22:50
Jimbg thanks for that , any chance of telling me which dealer did the upgrade for you. As I have said before my son works at a sister dealership next door to the Volvo one so he took my car in today. I have just spoken to him and he asked me to try and find out which dealer it was.thanks

Kastners in Exeter

Whiterdesign
Jun 7th, 2012, 00:53
Jimbg thanks for that
Thanks to clan for the pm - sorry I cant reply but have not done 30 posts

MikeAP
Jun 16th, 2012, 23:59
"Oh Bother" says he aided with the sounds of thumping hands on a hollowed wood surface. "My Screen too has decided to join in the Failure Party".

Looks like another telephone call to the Autoworld Chesterfield Branch where back the XC60 will go.
It only came back from them two days ago after having had a general recall for under the seat wires re-clipping.

844PHW
Sep 25th, 2012, 17:29
Well it has now happened to me (or rather to SWMBO). On starting the car for the return leg of a journey, the screen was completely blank, parking camera, radio and nav did not work. The same applied the next morning. Reviewing these posts, I applied the "remove fuse A1 and re-insert" strategy and, yes, all was no okay again. Apparently I should also go for the latest software update which came out after the most recent service.

Replacing a fuse may sound like a simple job, but that takes no account of the volvo location of fuseboxes. The easiest solution to get at the box under the glove compartment seemed to be to put the passenger seat right back and kneel on the ground with head and shoulders in the footwell. I guess a mechanic would have an easier time with the car up on a ramp.

samckay
Oct 6th, 2012, 23:44
Hi Everyone, just to let you know my recent experience with my V60 D5 Auto center console display issue (no Satnav).
It died about 10 days ago. Parked up on a rainy day, lights, wipers, heater, everything going. Came back 1 hour later and the display did not fire up when I started the car. Booked it into my local dealer last Monday. On Monday night they called to say I could collect the car but it needed a new ICM. Delivered it back to them yesterday for them to fit the part...they said the software was loading very slowly after the new ICM had been fitted and it would be ready about 6pm...this was 3pm. Went to the dealer at 5:30pm and it was still loading..they gave me one of their cars for the night and left it loading overnight. Saturday 11am it was ready.
So, the message is this is not a quick fix and their software loading procedures are dismal. You must be patient.
PS. I have the new My Car statistics. Nothin' to right home about in my view.
PPS. Removing and inserting the fuse did not work for me.

masteroforion
Jun 27th, 2017, 19:03
Had the same issue crop up on my 2011 S60. Everything was OK last night when I parked it. This morning, no display, completely switched off, which meant:

- Parking sensors didn't work
- Couldn't see the AC temperature/level
- Bluetooth wasn't functional
- No radio or any of the entertainment features

I tried a number of things that didn't work. The thing that did was removing the fuse. In particular, this is what I did.

- Turned the engine off.
- Gently pulled the the carpet back from under the glove compartment to expose the fuse boxes.
- Pulled out the green 40A fuse
- Waited 30 seconds
- Put the fuse back in
- Started the car and voilą

I've attached a screenshot of the fuse boxes from the owner's manual. The one you want is the "Circuit breaker - infotainment system" one.

This is the first time the issue has happened. I had it serviced with Volvo less than two months ago and I suspect I still have the old version of the software. On another note, it has been crazy warm around here in the last three weeks, often between 34-39C on the dash thermometer. Maybe something to do with that?

malum
Oct 4th, 2017, 15:54
Just a note to say pulling the fuse worked for me as well (thanks for the info!). 2011 XC60.
The low battery thing is BS. When the alternator belt snapped on mine the infotainment screen functioned fine even after the battery ran so flat the power steering and all the lights failed. If the engine is running and there isn't enough power to run the screen something else is very wrong.