PDA

View Full Version : General: - Newbie Q's on the 3.2 2007 XC90

Chemicalal
Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:26
I'm just about to take ownership of a 2007 (facelift) XC90 3.2 AWD SE with a full Volvo dealership history (18k, 36k, 54k, and 72k services despite having only 46k on the clock) and I have a few questions:

What do you all think of the 3.2 engine/gearbox? Is it a good match and are there any known issues?

Is the engine chain or belt driven? If belt, what is the recommended change mileage/year? If Chain, does it need changed and if so, what mileage?

It seems that these are fairly rare cars - is this just down to the tax costs and MPG figs? Or is there something more sinister afoot?

My background is BMW, and if put aside worry about the above costs, to have an in-line six 3.2 with 240ish HP and 320 torques - Is this an ideal mesh of power, performance and reliability?

Any help/thoughts would be much appreciated,

Kindest regards,
Alasdair

Ron_XC90
Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:08
Hi Alasdair,

The 3.2 is quite rare, mainly because of the running cost (petrol). If I understand it correct the V8 petrol returns a pretty similar mpg so there are more of those around.
I test drove the 2007/8 model 3.2 with geartronic and found it a fantastic drive. The car was sold by the time I made my decision so went for the D5 instead.

Because they are rare there might not be much known faults. So far I cannot remember having seen any problems reported here with the engine/gearbox, so should be a safe purchase.
Check around the forum for other known issues (non engine/gearbox related) as the rest of the car is the same as the others...

Chemicalal
Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:29
Cheers for that Ron - I also collect older BMW's (70's & 80's) so i'm quite used to getting 200-300 miles from £80 these days.
Performance & reliability are far more important to me than petrol prices (Turbo or AWD or gearbox issue and thats £1000's, which buys a lot of petrol!).
As all of my other cars are insured under classic car insurance, I have 0 no claims bonus, so a big 4.4 V8 for a 35 yo man with 1 claim in the last 3 years is gonna be pretty steep to insure as well as slightly more expensive to run - this is the reason for downgrading my selection to the 3.2.
Thanks again!

RFW
Jun 23rd, 2011, 13:28
Alasdair
I bought a new 2010 model 3.2 SE Lux and have done almost 30,000 miles so far.
Overall fuel consumption is 22 mpg, individual tanks range from 19 to 24 depending on driving conditions. The engine is chain drive with no routine replacement required.
The engine and transmission are very well matched for smoothness, response and being in the right gear at the right time. Done a fair bit of trailer towing (flange type towbar in case hitch height needs changing and genuine Volvo trailer module & wiring) both on main roads and in hill country and it copes very well.
Running at 39 psi the Conti's wear evenly (I do swap front-to-rear every four or five thousand miles) and the first set lasted 20,000.
A good all-rounder with the obvious package benefits of the XC90 plus the extra 'spark' of a six cylinder petrol; hope you enjoy yours too.

RFW

Chemicalal
Jun 23rd, 2011, 13:44
Looks like I made the right choice!
Thanks for the responses - Can't wait to get behind the wheel now.
Can see that this forum will be a great help in the future.

Ian Donkin
Jun 26th, 2011, 20:14
We've had a facelift 2007 3.2 SE for a couple of weeks and a thousand miles now and are pretty pleased with our purchase. It's nowhere near got the performance of the 4.4 v8 Range Rover it's replaced, but I'm confident reliability will be in a different league.

It goes to Wales at the end of the week for conversion to LPG and I'll report back once that's been done. If we achieve 18 or 19 on LPG that will be equivalent to somewhere in the 30's when the price differential is taken into account and that's quite a result with a smooth and quiet petrol motor.

Hope you enjoy it :-)

RoyMacDonald
Jun 27th, 2011, 14:21
We've had a facelift 2007 3.2 SE for a couple of weeks and a thousand miles now and are pretty pleased with our purchase. It's nowhere near got the performance of the 4.4 v8 Range Rover it's replaced, but I'm confident reliability will be in a different league.

It goes to Wales at the end of the week for conversion to LPG and I'll report back once that's been done. If we achieve 18 or 19 on LPG that will be equivalent to somewhere in the 30's when the price differential is taken into account and that's quite a result with a smooth and quiet petrol motor.

Hope you enjoy it :-)

Not all Volvo engines are suitable for conversion to lpg so check that the 3.2 is before you get it done.

Ian Donkin
Jun 29th, 2011, 22:20
Not all Volvo engines are suitable for conversion to lpg so check that the 3.2 is before you get it done.

Thanks Roy - I believe we are in very good hands here...

RoyMacDonald
Jun 30th, 2011, 12:30
Thanks Roy - I believe we are in very good hands here...

This might be of interest on what to look out for. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=125514

Also remember the price of lpg is linked to domestic gas prices so expect a longer payback time with the proposed price hikes coming.

Ian Donkin
Jun 30th, 2011, 22:08
This might be of interest on what to look out for. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=125514

Also remember the price of lpg is linked to domestic gas prices so expect a longer payback time with the proposed price hikes coming.

On the assumption that one of the most helpful and key LPG contributors to this forum is doing the installation, I really do believe that my initial comments hold firm. I am confident of an excellent outcome both in visual and performance terms.

For sure LPG prices will rise, however several oil companies are internally forecasting £2 / litre at the pumps very soon and this will only serve to accelerate payback, not extend it. A 50% rise in LPG will take it to around £1.10 a litre, the same escalator on petrol will see us paying that dreaded £2.00 plus for 95 octane and even more for diesel...

I also view my LPG conversions as part of the vehicle capital acquisition (Capex) cost and therefore a one time hit that is depreciated in line with vehicle value over time. A high quality and properly installed system should also enhance future saleability to an informed buyer.

Fuel bills on the other hand are an operational (Opex) expense and my preference for lower Opex means that LPG, having only had a positive experience of conversions, for me is a no brainer.

All just my own views of course.

JimG
Jun 30th, 2011, 22:13
Thanks Ian, keep us updated. Interested to see how this goes.

Jim314
Jul 6th, 2011, 02:10
I'm just about to take ownership of a 2007 (facelift) XC90 3.2 AWD SE with a full Volvo dealership history (18k, 36k, 54k, and 72k services despite having only 46k on the clock) and I have a few questions:

What do you all think of the 3.2 engine/gearbox? Is it a good match and are there any known issues?

Is the engine chain or belt driven? If belt, what is the recommended change mileage/year? If Chain, does it need changed and if so, what mileage?

It seems that these are fairly rare cars - is this just down to the tax costs and MPG figs? Or is there something more sinister afoot?

My background is BMW, and if put aside worry about the above costs, to have an in-line six 3.2 with 240ish HP and 320 torques - Is this an ideal mesh of power, performance and reliability?

Any help/thoughts would be much appreciated,

Kindest regards,
Alasdair

This is the only engine and transmission available now for the XC70 and XC90 in the US and probably all of North America.

We have been very satisfied with my wife's 2007 XC90 3.2L I6 with 6-spd auto. In US trim in 2007 it was ~238 hp and ~238 lb-ft of torque. (I'm sure you have the torque value wrong--naturally aspirated petrol engines usually have very close to the same numerical value for max hp and max torque in lb-ft.)

The camshaft is driven by a timing chain which will probably last the life of the vehicle. You might want to google this engine called the Volvo/Ford short inline-six or 'SI6' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SI6_engine).

It has the interesting feature that the position of the ancillaries (alternator, water pump, PS pump, a/c compressor) are placed other than on the front of the engine as is usual. The alternator is on the side of the engine (front of engine compartment under the intake manifold) and is driven internally off the timing chain. The other ancillaries are driven by a serpentine belt located on the back of the engine (above the transmission). The purpose of this was to shorten an inline-6cyl engine to allow it to be fitted transversely in Volvos and other FWD vehicles.

Her XC90 is a US base model FWD, but has the same 6-spd transmission as the AWD model, the AWTF-80 SC. Also this is the same transmission used in the 3.0L turbocharged SI6 which produces much more torque. So the transmission should be 'overbuilt' for the 3.2L naturally aspirated.

Read about the 6-spd transmission here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC.

One thing of note is that the AWTF-80SC has no transmission dipstick, at least none accessible by other than sevice personnel and by them only when changing ATF. Apparently it has an electronic monitor of ATF level.

It utilises a special AW-1 transmission fluid which is labelled as being maintenance free. It has a fluid capacity of 8.0 litres (1.8 imp gal; 2.1 US gal).

All wheel drive transfer cases can be fitted to the AWTF-80 SC, making it ideal for use in cross-over type SUVs.

Ian Donkin
Jul 16th, 2011, 23:25
We've now gone the LPG route and are highly delighted with figures of between 16.4 - 17.75 mpg on gas (against 19.9 - 22 mpg on petrol, calculated full tank to full tank as opposed to via the on board computer).

I'll take some pictures of the install and post in a new thread in the LPG section it's a mighty tidy install that only the flash lube system gives away :-)

Dukeofwimbourne
Jun 24th, 2013, 13:26
We've now gone the LPG route and are highly delighted with figures of between 16.4 - 17.75 mpg on gas (against 19.9 - 22 mpg on petrol, calculated full tank to full tank as opposed to via the on board computer).

I'll take some pictures of the install and post in a new thread in the LPG section it's a mighty tidy install that only the flash lube system gives away :-)

Hi Ian,

I am new to this forum and have been trying to find out more info about xc90s and LPG. Currently I have a V50 which may have to go for a 3rd addition to the family later this year so hence looking for a XC90.

I looked into the T6 model but they all seem to have transmission issues so it is either the 2.5t or the 3.2 with a view to converting it to LPG.

What are peoples thoughts on the xc90 and these two models? How have you found the 3.2 to be with the lpg? Is there anything I should look out for?

I know it is a rare car to find but still in the homework phase of looking at it.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

enscjb
Jun 24th, 2013, 15:55
I have an 07Model year 3.2, it's great.

19mpg on my daily commute, 25 or better on a run.
Needs a suspension bush replacing. A few little niggles, but a lovely drive.

The LPG is interesting, more details on where/ how much and some photos would be great?

Chris