PDA

View Full Version : I think I got the wrong oil in my engine :(

ade555
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:31
Well about 2k ago I change my oil and I think is the wrong spec in that engine, calling to Volvo it should be 5w-30 ACEA A1 or B1 or the new so called type A5/B5, mineral, part or fully synthetic, now I got and didn't check ACEA C3, now can some one please tell me what is the A1/B1/C3 ect. mean in oil terms will change again if will couse ware to engine parts but still is 5w-30.

Ade

ade555
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:35
Well just found some info but still don't know what that means, I understand A and B but the C? also the number after the letter

ACEA (Association des Constructeurs Europeens d'Automobiles) represents the interests of European vehicle manufacturers within the EU. The ACEA specification tells you that an oil meets their standards. The performance of the oil is broken down in to different categories: A = Petrol, B = Diesel and C = Catalyst compatible or low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulphur).

Anyone???

Ade

4 forty
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:53
if you would like to know all about oil, this website is definately worth a visit.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

ade555
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:57
thanks for the link maybe some one know of top of the head if ACEA C3 spec can do any damage to engine parts if it should be ACEA A1/B1 or A5/B5?

ade555
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:10
Well after finding this it makes more sense, so correct me if I'm wrong but there is nothing wrong with having ACEA C3 in A1/B1 spec

ACEA

This is the European equivalent of API (US) and is more specific in what the performance of the oil actually is. A = Petrol, B = Diesel and C = Catalyst compatible or low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulphur).

Unlike API the ACEA specs are split into performance/application catagories as follows:

A1 Fuel economy petrol
A2 Standard performance level (now obsolete)
A3 High performance and/or extended drain
A4 Reserved for future use in certain direct injection engines
A5 Combines A1 fuel economy with A3 performance

B1 Fuel economy diesel
B2 Standard performance level (now obsolete)
B3 High performance and/or extended drain
B4 For direct injection car diesel engines
B5 Combines B1 fuel economy with B3/B4 performance

C1-04 Petrol and Light duty Diesel engines, based on A5/B5-04 low SAPS, two way catalyst compatible.
C2-04 Petrol and light duty Diesel engines, based on A5/B5-04 mid SAPS, two way catalyst compatible.
C3-04 Petrol and light duty Diesel engines, based on A5/B5-04 mid SAPS, two way catalyst compatible, Higher performance levels due to higher HTHS.

Note: SAPS = Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur.

Put simply, A3/B3, A5/B5 and C3 oils are the better quality, stay in grade performance oils.

Chris_Rogers
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:39
You havn't said what year and engine the car has.

But the A/B5 oils were specified by Volvo at 0W/30 grade from about 2005 when the service intervals moved to 18k miles.
Before that the A/B3 grade was specified at 5W/30 the service interval was 12k miles.

The engines didn't change to my knowledge, so the difference it seems is only to use a higher spec (and more expensive) oil to extend the service interval on mileage for the fleet market.

You can make your own choice but I use the cheaper oil and change it at 10k miles max.

VAG group use a similar oil grade policy to move a vehicle between fixed and variable service intervals.

ade555
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:44
Sorry is 2002 2.4 petrol, I put in my car fully synthetic 5w30 CarLube brand but it has the spec of ACEA C3 not the ACEA A1 or the new spec oils A5, so just thinking if that makes much different, the C3 spec it looks like is more design for the exhaust treatment or something like that and not for fuel economy calling to other websides, as for the oil change I always did every 8-10k or 10-12 months now I only drive the car to work and back once a week and gets parked up for 5 days, So my only worry is is the C3 spec is safe for my engine as I started to get tappity noise from engine, car done 177k now.

Ade

jp11
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:03
Ade, I don't think the tappety noise will be due to your new oil. With 177k you're bound to get a few little noises on start-up, but other board members say wear is not a significant problem on these engines, so long as they're reasonably well serviced. As you said, A5/B5 is maily for extended service intervals. The "shear rating" of your C3 should be well able to protect your engine. The 0w rating is to make the oil flow well when very cold. But 5w should be fine for us, especially in summer. My personal preference is a 0w30 because most wear occurs during start-up, but 5w30 should be fine for a 177k engine.

ade555
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:57
Thanks for info