PDA

View Full Version : Manual gearbox problem from cold

Martin Greaves
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:40
Hi

I have a manual S60 D5. Sometimes I find that from a cold start in the morning it can be very difficult to select either 1st or reverse gears - all other gears are OK. After 1st or reverse have been selected once (with a bit of force) everything is then OK. Anyone else had a similar problem, and if so any ideas on what may be the cause?

Regards

Martin

KeatV70D5SE
Jan 19th, 2006, 20:52
My V70 is the same sometimes. I vaguely remember something about this on the forum before. Someone mentioned warped clutch plates but I find that just letting the clutch up to biting point lets the gear go in.

No problems - certainly not worth spending any money on.

imac
Jan 21st, 2006, 20:08
My V70 is the same sometimes. I vaguely remember something about this on the forum before. Someone mentioned warped clutch plates but I find that just letting the clutch up to biting point lets the gear go in.
No problems - certainly not worth spending any money on.

What he said ^

Its not "difficult" to put it into gear, just needs an extra bit of shove!

Martin Greaves
Jan 22nd, 2006, 16:30
Thanks for the replies. Car is under an extended warranty, so although it is more annoying than a real problem, I will still get them to have a look.
Cheers
Martin

Hi Flyer437
Jan 28th, 2006, 23:51
This subject is covered by Honest John in today's Motoring Telegraph, albeit on a V70.http://www.motoring.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?menuId=2776&menuItemId=-1&view=DISPLAYCONTENT&grid=P8&targetRule=

Scroll down almost to the bottom of the page - happens on my S60 too.

Martin Greaves
Jan 30th, 2006, 22:44
Thanks for the information, but I don't think that my S60 has the same problem as the V70 discussed by Honest John. My problem only occurs once on starting the car from cold, and as soon as either 1st or reverse have been selected once everything is fine - it doesn't need to be given time to warm-up for the problem to disappear.

My car has just been looked at by my local dealer (it was in for another problem), who couldn't any major problems. They topped up the gearbox oil, but this made no difference. They said they would have another look at the next service. They did mention that they had a car in recently with a similar problem with 1st and 2nd from cold, but this was due to water in the gear linkage, which was freezing.

the great one
Jan 31st, 2006, 22:12
your clutch prob is a common one you will need the gear box taken out and the input shaft cleaned with special volvo cleaner and then have special grease applied!

jamie

imac
Jan 31st, 2006, 22:44
your clutch prob is a common one you will need the gear box taken out and the input shaft cleaned with special volvo cleaner and then have special grease applied!

jamie

Bugger that! I'll live with it methinks!

KVB
Feb 11th, 2006, 20:20

jamie

You have stated the absolute correct fix. It is a commen problem and is somewhat dependent on if you leave your car sitting in neutral or in a selected gear or not. I noticed it didn't happen much if I left my car in neutral.

It's a ton of work for the dealer to fix(9+ hours) as they have to drop the sub frame and engine to get all the work done. So they will probably do what ever they can to NOT help you.

Kevin

2.4TSE
Feb 12th, 2006, 12:56
Interesting to read; I work from home most of the time so our V70 tends to sit in the garage all week and sometimes for up to 2 or 3 weeks if the other car or the motorbike is used instead at the weekends. Having had the handbrake stick on tight a couple of times as a result of this, I soon took to leaving the car in reverse gear with the handbrake off. If this technique also happens to prevent the problem described here - I'd never heard of it before - I'll be doubly happy.

I did wonder if this usage cycle - it also gets left at airports for long durations on the occasions I'm not working from home - would prove detrimental, but so far (three years from new) so good. No battery or other problems.

When it comes to gear selection, my only comment, as others have made, is that it is initially a little notchy in very cold weather for the first few miles and then loosens up as the oil gets warmer.

Philip Robbins
Feb 24th, 2006, 13:49
Just the same for me. 1st and 2nd very hard to get into gear. Took it into the garage (under warranty) they took the gear box apart and lubricated it and it worked great. That was until it went again. In total it was done four times until I asked Volvo to replace the gear box. They said that if I would let them do it once more (following Volvo's instructions to the T) and it did not work, they would replace it. So I let them, and guess what, it went again. Anyway they put a new gear box in, and apart from wearing in problems it is great. If it's under warranty, don't give, keep taking it back, get them to do it over and over again if needed until it gets too much then ring Volvo customer services. It costs thousands to get a new gear box put in so best to do it under warranty. One thing I would suggest though, make sure that if you do get a new gear box (or anything else for that matter) and you have less that a year left on your warranty that you pay something towards the part and the work undertaken, otherwise when your warranty ends so does the warranty on that repair. It happened to me, don't let it happen to you.

cosmosblue
Feb 27th, 2006, 12:07
Hi there. This is my first post so bear with me.

Two weeks ago i bought a second hand s60d5 with 77k on the clock. My previous car was a SEAT leon cupra r and i haven't even thought about it since i bought the volvo. What a great engine the d5 has. However the gearbox on the volvo is very stiff when cold. It is not first and reverse gears though but third which i have a problem engaging when cold. It gets better when warm but i would describe the gearbox overall as notchy. Is this what they are all like or do i need to get my local dealer to give the box a good clean?

Have been member of the SEAT forum for a while and i am sure this forum will prove to be just as useful.

John

imac
Feb 27th, 2006, 15:30
The gearbox is fairly "notchy" but it shouldn't be difficult to put into gear at all! Might be worth trying another S60 before you take it to the dealer to make sure its your car at fault, and not one of the S60's idiosyncrasies.

cosmosblue
Feb 28th, 2006, 08:07
Good idea.

I may have access to an identical model via a friend.

I will ask to have a go.

Thanks for your advice.