PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filler Cap Again

Chewie431
Apr 6th, 2012, 22:19
Hi all, Im very new to both the forum and my XC90, I have just noticed that my fuel door isn't locking when Im driving along, and I have waited the 10-15 mins that is recommended for it to lock, I cant see anything wrong with the door (by that I mean it isn't loose) so could it the motor itself? If so how much can they set me back? Any help would be most appreciated.

ChrisE
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:15
I think that it is the time from when you switch the engine & ignition off. It doesn't lock when you are driving along.

bobdabuilda
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:45
Why do you want it to lock as you're driving along? Are the fuel thieves highly mobile in your area?

gillberry
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:51
I want to know how he knows it's not locking as he's driving along ? Is someone running alongside the car ? Is the speed greater and a motorbike rides alongside or is that how the theives nick fuel in his area ?

outnumbered
Apr 7th, 2012, 17:35
all classic replies:thumbs_up:

Chewie431
Apr 7th, 2012, 18:21
Ok so yes that did sound a bit dumb but I noticed as I pulled into work last night going over a speed bump that the fuel door swung open. Surley doing less than 5mph over a hump isn't cause enough for the door to open on its own?

I then realised that after locking the car and leaving it for the 15 mins the fuel door isn't locking which is why I was enquiring about the motor for the pin.

gary austin
Apr 7th, 2012, 18:32
acording to the hand book cant you access the door lock from in the boot if a failure ocurs maybe this has been fiddled with ,read the handbook and have a look in the boot behind the panel good luck gary

Chewie431
Apr 7th, 2012, 18:34
I'll have a look, thanks for the advice gary

JimG
Apr 7th, 2012, 19:34
It sounds like the spring assembly has broken, not the lock. Relatively cheap repair. I got mine done by Volvo, think it cost about £20.

Beavis
Apr 7th, 2012, 21:27
i agree, sounds like the spring. just watch the flap doesn't drop off, as my S60 spring and clip broke, and the flap dropped off, so for a couple of days i had to take to removing it whilst driving and then putting it back on once i'd stopped so it locked shut. its one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S60-V70-S80-V70XC-XC70-XC90-Fuel-Flap-Hinge-Spring-Petrol-Diesel-/360436091853?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53ebaa4bcd#ht_500wt_1054 easy to fit, just need a tiny screwdriver to push the old plastic rivets through to release the old one. my local dealer sells them for about £7-£8 if you near to a dealer.

Chewie431
Apr 10th, 2012, 09:37
I took off the trim in the boot the other night and just pushed the pin into the locked position for piece of mind. Strangely it opened and shut with locking the car by remote so I thought problem solved, however when I came to fill up last night I went to open the fuel door the damn thing stayed in the locked position. Luckily I had left the trim off in the boot so I could thankfully move the pin manually, I mean its not that much of an issue if I have to do it manually but I'm guessing I either damaged the motor because of this or it was on its way out in the first place.

Chewie431
Apr 10th, 2012, 09:38
Thanks for the advice on the spring Stu, would be a cheaper fix than the motor going

doc4246
Apr 11th, 2012, 17:50
Might be worth checking if you have REM DTC SET on the dashboard display...to see if you have any DTC SET you need to push in the button on the end of the indicator stalk and while holding it in - press the rear foglight button twice (with a 1 second delay between each press)...if it say NO DTC SET then there's no problems with any of your electronic modules but if it says DTC IN VEHICLE then at least 1 module has a problem...scroll through each module by clicking the button on the end of the indicator stalk - until you find a module with DTC SET after it...that means there's an error code logged to that module...

The locking of the fuel filler cap door is controlled by the REM (Rear Electronic Module) that also controls some other rear stuff like rear wiper/washer etc...

Now there's a couple of cheap checks:

1) remove and replace the fuses that relate to the REM - take your time between each process...this may reset the REM and lock mechanism

2) disconnect/reconnect battery (neg terminal) - make sure you follow the correct procedure for doing this otherwise you could screw up many more modules...but this may also reset the REM...

So it may not be the motor, but I hope it's just a REM reset as the module is quite expensive to replace, but if you have other REM items working then it shouldn't be the module - it either needs resetting or as you have already suggested it could be the motor...

I'm a bit annoyed because for over a month I have been free of module problems...until today!

I now have REM DTC SET so started looking around for a possible problem (I dont have VIDA/DICE to do this properly) but on checking the door to my fuel filler cap...low and behold it was not locking even after the deadlocks kick in!!!

I know the motor is working because when I look at the locking bolt and press the remote I can see it moving ever do slightly but just not locking fully home, so in my case it is the REM that needs resetting (other items work like rear wiper/washer etc so not a module failure)

Personally I stay away from meddling with the car - too much other stress to deal with...so it will be off to the Volvo dealer to fix...and another whine at how rubbish Volvo electronics are...last time it was the DEM DTC SET and I'd been driving around for months without AWD, just FWD...100 Euros later and DEM sensor replaced and AWD returned.

What next I ask...time to get that new X5 4.8 V8 methinks....

I have a MY07 2007 XC90 V8 Exec for record...was considering a new XC60 T6 for next year as Volvo no longer do a V8 but with the constant electronic issues and other little niggles I'm probably not a Volvo keeper...

Coconut
Apr 12th, 2012, 06:41
Hi "Doc",

I have copied the info you posted about how to check for faults in modules,
into the "XC90 Config Tips" thread :-)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconut1.jpg

Chewie431
Apr 12th, 2012, 09:18
Hi doc,

Excellent run down there on the REM settings. Luckily I pushed the pin into the locked position the other day and ever since it has locked and unlocked along with the rest of the car. So fingers crossed it has stood for a while and was just stuck in the unlocked position.

Btw X5.....I like it but not too sure about the 'image' they put across, having said that I drive an XC90 so what the hell

doc4246
Apr 15th, 2012, 17:31
So not only does my fuel filler door not lock immediately or after the deadlocks kick in...but at some time much later, I know this as next morning the fuel filler door is locked...and I have the REM DTC SET showing on the dash display...but today the fuel filler door started flapping as I drive along...on checking, yes you've guessed it both the stupid bludy plastic lugs that hold the spring in place have broken off...why on earth has Volvo made a plastic piece to hold a taught metal spring in place...stupid fcuking idiots who I'd better never meet...

Can't wait to offload this car despite only having it a few months - it's just one little thing after another - that so far has cost nearly GBP1500 at the dealer to repair - I've got better things to do than keep dropping the car off to get fixed, the reliability is just terrible...I was hoping to change over to an XC60 T6 next year (in the absence of a V8 in the range) but over on their forum I'm hearing of 5 hours to update the Sensus software...what a total joke - I've never heard of any car's on board systems take that long to update...and it's spread over a number of DVDs that you have to then check back on to see they are still updating the Sensus...

I can't wait to move on...this has been a great forum, great support and assistance - really has been very helpful and I wish you all the very best of luck!

Rawas
Apr 15th, 2012, 20:10
I can't wait to move on...this has been a great forum, great support and assistance - really has been very helpful and I wish you all the very best of luck![/QUOTE]

Well, thank you for being around.
But what make you so sure that you are not going to face similar and/or other problems with an X5 or a Grand cherokee? (V8s in your case).
The reliability ratings of those vehicles is similar or slightly better than that of an XC90! the only trouble free SUVs in the market today are obviously the Japanese which I personally do not care about.
This might sound strange, but I did not face any issue with my 2008 XC90 3.2 the car has been running great since 2 years now, I only wished it has a turbo engine for a more comfortable pulling power.
What ever you end up buying, we wish you the best. keep us posted.
Regards.

doc4246
Apr 15th, 2012, 20:46
I can't wait to move on...this has been a great forum, great support and assistance - really has been very helpful and I wish you all the very best of luck!

Well, thank you for being around.
But what make you so sure that you are not going to face similar and/or other problems with an X5 or a Grand cherokee? (V8s in your case).
The reliability ratings of those vehicles is similar or slightly better than that of an XC90! the only trouble free SUVs in the market today are obviously the Japanese which I personally do not care about.
This might sound strange, but I did not face any issue with my 2008 XC90 3.2 the car has been running great since 2 years now, I only wished it has a turbo engine for a more comfortable pulling power.
What ever you end up buying, we wish you the best. keep us posted.
Regards.[/QUOTE]

I know Rawas, what you say is so true...I wish I could get a newer XC90 with a V8 but so few are around in Exec trim only 94 were registered in the UK, most in 2007 but only 10 in 2010 I think...and none after...

The 3.2 S6 seems a much less problematic engine - I just wish it had a bit more power and torque...well I wonder if Polestar do anything...I'm sure the engine could easily handle a bit more of both...?

JimG
Apr 15th, 2012, 20:57
So not only does my fuel filler door not lock immediately or after the deadlocks kick in...but at some time much later, I know this as next morning the fuel filler door is locked...and I have the REM DTC SET showing on the dash display...but today the fuel filler door started flapping as I drive along...on checking, yes you've guessed it both the stupid bludy plastic lugs that hold the spring in place have broken off.

This probably won't help change your mind, but the fuel filler cap is set on a delay to allow you to lock the car on a petrol station forecourt but still be able to access the fuel cap. The delay is supposed to be long enough, I presume, for you to fill the tank - so maybe 5-10 minutes.

The plastic mounts are a stupid design, but a very cheap fix.

doc4246
Apr 15th, 2012, 21:06
This probably won't help change your mind, but the fuel filler cap is set on a delay to allow you to lock the car on a petrol station forecourt but still be able to access the fuel cap. The delay is supposed to be long enough, I presume, for you to fill the tank - so maybe 5-10 minutes.

The plastic mounts are a stupid design, but a very cheap fix.

Good to know about the delay - thank you! I wonder what has caused the REM DTC SET to appear though...all electricals at the back still seem to work...oh well...

I guess the plastic mount just levers off with a flathead screwdriver? So no need to remove any interior trim to gain access to the fuel filler area from the inside. Then the replacement plastic mount is just pushed back on with its two plastic plugs just slotting into the holes? I hope so...

doc4246
Apr 16th, 2012, 17:32
Well for change out of EUR15.00 my local dealer replaced the stupid plastic bracket and indeed confirmed that the 2 little plastic lugs that retain the metal spring do indeed break quite easily and often - and usually after a long cold spell followed by some warm weather...brittle plastic?

Still it's now on the service record and so benefits from a bit of a guarantee now...

The tech let me see how to swop them out - he had a neat little punch machine to knock through the 4 plastic rivets, and then with the new bracket the same little punch tool neatly pushed in the 4 new plastic rivets...less than a minute all in...

Oh and they even gave me a spare plastic bracket...as I looked so annoyed with the whole issue...

What next I hear...well it's now 8 clicks for my footbrake to enagage...the A/C compressor is whinning away on slow speeds - so I turn it up now...and the tyres are starting to go whump-whump-whump more pronounced at low speed, rising to a cocophony at high speed...still they are on their last legs and they are rubbish Yokohama Advent ST 255/50 R19 tyres...

Chewie431
Apr 18th, 2012, 09:13
Doc Im so sorry to hear you're having issues and can't wait to get rid of your xc90.

I have to say now that the fuel filler door is working as it should do I can't find any other faults (touching wood as Im typing!) Absolutely love my xc90, I don't need this vehicle at all but I wouldn't be without it................Thats only after 2 weeks of ownership :P