PDA

View Full Version : DV6 engine (1.6 diesel)

Lancee
May 26th, 2012, 20:47
Any comments from members regarding the following?
Is it true that this engine is now fitted to some Volvos ? !

"The engine must be run with a lowSAP oil because of the nature of the particulate filter and exhaust gas recirculation valve. Even short periods of running with incorrect oil can cause sludge to rapidly accumulate and block, in particular, turbo oil feed pipes which will then leave rapidly to turbo failure. As a result of this, manufacturers have issued detailed guidance on changing the oil of the DV6".

This engine is proving to be a massive problem with repeated turbo failures in many cars (Citroen, Peugeot, Ford, Mazda etc).

Unreal master tech
May 26th, 2012, 22:09
Yes mate been fitted for a while now and it suffers from these problems although as the engine has been developed it has got better although there are still some flaws?!

Lancee
May 27th, 2012, 11:25
We have run an 08 Beringo 1.6 HDI at work, now on 80,000 miles, and its third turbo since 55,000 miles.

Always serviced on schedule in our ownership, engine flushed then oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles, yes that's 3,000, since the last failed turbo was fitted as warranty requirement, now this replacement turbo has failed in less than a year.

The replacement turbo supplier will no longer honour any turbo warranty for these engines, they are allegedly so bad, the garage who fitted the last replacement is standing the latest cost, of course this doesn't include the injector seal and fuel pump work additionally required.

Engine not only fitted to Citroen and Volvo, but Ford, Peugeot, Mazda etc.
I would personally avoid like the plague any car with this engine fitted, the internet is awash with the associated turbo problems..

Harvey1512
May 30th, 2012, 12:05
Is this the engine found in the V60 DRive 1.6D? I have one on order so this sparked an interest.

I would have thought that this was in so many cars, look at the names mentioned, that one of them would have solved this.

Volvo-in-my-blood
Jun 1st, 2012, 19:23
Is this the engine found in the V60 DRive 1.6D?

Yes, it's the same Ford/PSA engine.

Clan
Jun 1st, 2012, 21:26
There is remarkably little trouble with this engine in volvos , i know very well how they fail in citroens , rods through the side , multiple turbo failures , egr valves failing , lubrication systems coking up , sumps leaking , injector failures and leaking at the head seal , clutches wearing out .

Volvo versions seem to be built differently as the sump sealer is a different colour for example and doesnt leak at all generaly . Volvo sorted the EGR valves a long time ago , citroen didnt . Also volvos tend to be serviced properly .

So don't be put off by these engines in a volvo .

Clan
Jun 1st, 2012, 21:27
Is this the engine found in the V60 DRive 1.6D? I have one on order so this sparked an interest.

I would have thought that this was in so many cars, look at the names mentioned, that one of them would have solved this.

yes volvo did ....

foggyjames
Jun 18th, 2012, 17:35
They are pretty terrible in the other models...but...Nick insists he doesn't see many, and we really don't seem to hear much about them on this forum, so I'm tempted to suggest he's right.

A colleague had a Focus with this engine, and had the usual problems, plus it has sounded rattly from the top end for about a year before the turbo failed. The garage (after they failed to take our advice the first time, and had to replace the turbo at their expense) cleared out the sludge, and the rattling went away. Scary! In fairness, he had significantly stretched a couple of servicing intervals, and I bet the back-street garage he used put some cheap crappy oil in it. It's certainly not a B230 in that regard!

Out of interest, Lancee, was all this (http://www.btnturbo.com/bulletins/Btn_bulletin_DS089.pdf) done to yours? If not, that seemed to cure the Focus. A plain flush isn't enough.

cheers

James

Lancee
Jun 19th, 2012, 18:35
foggyjames.

Yes indeed, that's the worrying aspect, the full procedure as described was carried out.

As I have previously stated I would personally not risk entertaining ownership of ANY car fitted with this engine, but that's my own view.

The VW vehicle bought as a replacement has a recommended service interval of 20,000 miles !

I have to question how manufacturers can keep squeezing any engine for maximum power, maximum MPG, minimum emissions AND longer service intervals before something (invariably expensive) breaks ?

And I don't care how good any oil is alleged to be, diesel engines are generally dirty beasts, for how long does the oil after an oil change resemble "golden brown" ?

Great when the vehicle is new and in warranty, but a consumer will ultimately pick up some hefty bills, be forced to buy a new replacement vehicle of the same ilk, or a used one with some lurking repair bill.

Repair bills for vehicles now seem to more regularly run into £1,000's rather than £100's, and you can't do much of the work yourself because the manufacterers/main dealers have largely got you by the b*lls.

To be honest when I come to replace our old Volvo V70 D5 and Mondeo TDDI I currently have absolutely no idea as to where I would spend my money.

All new cars seem to be rubbish !!!!

RoverSwede
Feb 16th, 2015, 10:15
Hello from cold Sweden :)
Here is some info to make it clearer about the DV6 engine. There are two diffrent versions of the psa DV6/Ford DLD-416 engine, the 16V DOCH DV6 TED4 up to about 2010/11 that has had these problems and then there is the 8V SOCH DV6B from 2010/11 ( i think Volvos are fitted with it from 2011) this engine is re enigineered and doesnt have any problems as far as i know. The easiest way to tell the diffrence between the two is that the DV6 TED4 is rated at 108/109 hp and the DV6B is rated at 114/115hp

Personally i dont think the DV6TED4 is a bad engine because i've been a apprentice at both a Citroen and a Ford garage, and during those periods we didnt change any turbos or egr's. And my dad has an 2007 Citroen C5 with the DV6TED4 and its done 109k miles (176000 kilometres) without any engine problems. Exept that one injector started leaking but this was fixed by re tighening it (done for free at a Citroen garage). Also it been serviced "by the book" at every 12000 miles/20000 kms by Citroen garages.
So i dont think its such a big problem as it seems, but this engine needs regular oil and filter changes at max 12000 miles between changes with quality right spec oil.

Finally a warning:if you have a car with the DV6TED4 and it starts to smell a lot of diesel from the front of the car/under the bonnet at idle or after driving you schould get it checked up at a garage, as it is most certainly a leaking injector. Because if its left alone it can cause cokeing/oilsludge problems( and turbo failure).

/Mike

Ps. I hope my grammar is ok :D