PDA

View Full Version : VIDA working on Windows 7 64 bit

dmsims
Jul 15th, 2012, 13:13
I don't have an XP PC or 32 bit windows

This method gets you a working installation and providing you have an old copy of XP costs nothing

You will need:

Oracle VirtualBox, a copy of XP and VIDA

First install Virtual Box with the defaults, create a new XP machine
Allow it 2048MB of memory (if you cannot you will have to set a lower amount and edit compinfo.ini file in the Vida install)

Create a new disk, VDI type and then set a fixed size of at least 35GB

Start the machine and install XP

If required install XPSP3 and IE8 from windows update

Install VIDA

Printing works from VIDA with this method

http://www.zen183332.zen.co.uk/vida.png

VirtualBox is available for Apple MAC and supports Windows XP - however I have no means of testing it

ShadeTek
Jul 15th, 2012, 13:18
My 2012a works great on windows 7. You should try downloading it.

Ringsting
Jul 15th, 2012, 13:20
or just follow the instructions in this link and don't install virtual XP seems alot easier tbh
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=156556

adamr8965
Jul 16th, 2012, 20:43
I have this on my comp, Vbox but runs like a dying dog, so slow and takes ages to do anything.

My just buy a cheap XP laptop to work it.

Clan
Jul 16th, 2012, 21:04
My 2012a works great on windows 7. You should try downloading it.

It should do, it is specified to run on Win 7 :-)

byootox
Mar 3rd, 2013, 13:29
Just looking at this thread, I thought 2012D would have worked on win 7 64bit home premium native but not to be it would seem.
My laptop is dual core 1.5 celeron not powerful but I would have thought more than enough to run this program.
From what I've read up on this program it would seem its a very strict/narrow range of parameters required to make it work.

coastie123
Mar 3rd, 2013, 14:09
I've done nearly the same but I've set up a dual boot option for 2012A

On the dual boot I've installed win7 ultimate and haven't used any virtual machine etc..

Works really well once I had Sussed out the patch!!

I do have 2012C and nearly have all of 2012D so will also be trying those after!!

coastie123
Mar 3rd, 2013, 14:10
Just looking at this thread, I thought 2012D would have worked on win 7 64bit home premium native but not to be it would seem.
My laptop is dual core 1.5 celeron not powerful but I would have thought more than enough to run this program.
From what I've read up on this program it would seem its a very strict/narrow range of parameters required to make it work.

It does specify somewhere that it won't work on home premium..

I tried that first and also edited the registry but that didn't work either...

Ringsting
Mar 3rd, 2013, 14:21
It does specify somewhere that it won't work on home premium..

I tried that first and also edited the registry but that didn't work either...

you have to edit both entries in the registry, it works a treat on win7 home premium 64bit.

byootox
Mar 3rd, 2013, 15:48
Ringsting, is this 2012D version you are talking about yeah ?
Is one of the registry entries changing from "HomePremium" to "Professional" in Microsoft folder in registry temporarily then back ?
Curious as to what the second entry is to change ? Be good if you could tell please :-D
Second question I have is will 2012D actually even work on XP SP3 ?
I'd much rather have it work native on 7 Home Premium as the virtual machine doesnt half bog down the laptop :-(

Coastie... I've ran into much the same problem as yourself, but if someone has sussed a way round this it would be good if it's just a couple of registry entries

Chris_Rogers
Mar 3rd, 2013, 16:26
Any help?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=166285&highlight=registry

coastie123
Mar 3rd, 2013, 20:47
Ringsting, is this 2012D version you are talking about yeah ?
Is one of the registry entries changing from "HomePremium" to "Professional" in Microsoft folder in registry temporarily then back ?
Curious as to what the second entry is to change ? Be good if you could tell please :-D
Second question I have is will 2012D actually even work on XP SP3 ?
I'd much rather have it work native on 7 Home Premium as the virtual machine doesnt half bog down the laptop :-(

Coastie... I've ran into much the same problem as yourself, but if someone has sussed a way round this it would be good if it's just a couple of registry entries

I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING GOING WRONG!!

need to do the registry hack, i got this from a member on here. worked fine for me
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows NT->CurrentVersion, now click on that.

You should see "EditionID", and it has a value of "HomePremium". Change this to "Professional" by clicking on it and typing "Professional" without the quotes into the popup box.

Search again for the second entry, change to "Professional".

Leave regedit open.

Install VIDA

Go back into the regedit program and change that value back to "HomePremium".

byootox
Mar 3rd, 2013, 21:52
Thanks for the info Coastie I will give this a blast.
I only edited the first entry on my first attempt to in the reg.
The second entry I see in same folder of reg is called "Product Name" just a few lines down from first one which I assume is the one you mention yeah ?

Norfolk Jim
Mar 4th, 2013, 11:46
I have 2012D and running fine on Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

I normally use Google Chrome but VIDA is using IE 9 on my i7 laptop

byootox
Mar 4th, 2013, 18:17
Well I tried running it in Win 7 home premium with the 2 registry edits with no joy, so I tried the virtual machine with xp sp3 home edition and still no joy.
It would appear there is slightly more involved than these two reg edits unfortunately.
After checking the logs as they tell you the problem, it is my operating system that's the issue here so it would appear to me it has to be at least a pro-edition of one version of windows whether it be XP, Vista or Win 7.
I take my proverbial hat off to the guys who have managed to get it working on the home editions of windows as I've tried installing and uninstalling various ways to no avail.
Ironically the dice diagnostic part of the install seems to work fine without any mods etc.
Looks like a copy of xp pro will have to be purchased after all
Many thanks for the replies anyway.

coastie123
Mar 4th, 2013, 20:03
Well I tried running it in Win 7 home premium with the 2 registry edits with no joy, so I tried the virtual machine with xp sp3 home edition and still no joy.
It would appear there is slightly more involved than these two reg edits unfortunately.
After checking the logs as they tell you the problem, it is my operating system that's the issue here so it would appear to me it has to be at least a pro-edition of one version of windows whether it be XP, Vista or Win 7.
I take my proverbial hat off to the guys who have managed to get it working on the home editions of windows as I've tried installing and uninstalling various ways to no avail.
Ironically the dice diagnostic part of the install seems to work fine without any mods etc.
Looks like a copy of xp pro will have to be purchased after all
Many thanks for the replies anyway.

I had the same issues which is why i partitioned my hard drive... Luckily when i bought my computer 9 months ago, it had 6GB ram and 1TB hard drive, ive now got a 230GB Win7 Ultimate & Vida installation!!!

if you get any problems i will try and help you (including Ultimate)

Ringsting
Mar 4th, 2013, 21:31
Thanks for the info Coastie I will give this a blast.
I only edited the first entry on my first attempt to in the reg.
The second entry I see in same folder of reg is called "Product Name" just a few lines down from first one which I assume is the one you mention yeah ?
Just press F3 and it will find the same word in the next registry entry

byootox
Mar 4th, 2013, 21:56
I've just made a best offer on a second hand version of win7 ultimate on the bay of E, to be honest ultimate is complete overkill but it so happens it's priced waaay lower than any of the professional versions even although that would be fine.
What's a pain here is I bought a copy of 7 home premium a year and a half back and the secondhand laptop I just bought came with a 7 home premium disc too sigh...:B_rant:
Can you imagine paying the full whack that this program costs for a general piece of software for your computer and it was this picky about the hardware requirements lol, don't think the company would be too successful for long.
Programs this picky take me back to computer programs back about the mid nineties :censored:
But thinking about this program I suppose Volvo don't have to make it work on a wide range of operating systems really as it's pretty specific software and it was never intended for outside the network.
Will post back when I can get this obnoxious program to work :star-wars-smiley-02
Anyway rant over and thanks for the support guys

coastie123
Mar 4th, 2013, 22:00
I've just made a best offer on a second hand version of win7 ultimate on the bay of E

NNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

remove it and PM!!

coastie123
Mar 4th, 2013, 22:10
also check here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=152034 for other Vida/dice answers!!

Norfolk Jim
Mar 6th, 2013, 13:47
It will not work on Win 7 Home Editions and also you have to match Internet Explorer to the version of VIDA you are using......................

Mine is Win 7 Professional 64 bit with Service Pack 1 and IE 9 installed (even though I use Chrome). I use a fast Dell XPS laptop with i7 processor, 750GB h/d and 4GB RAM.

VIDA 2012D works fine and prints etc without problems.

Try switching your AV off if you have problems installing and make sure the SQL Server is up to date!!!! That often causes fails

byootox
Mar 10th, 2013, 15:29
***A big thanks to Coastie for helping me out getting VIDA working.***
My laptop is only a dual core 1.5 Intel celeron with a 4g of ram and a 320gig drive but it runs it just fine.
The big thing here to remember is that it really needs to be a minimum level of a professional version of windows or higher whether it be Win 7, Vista or XP .
The program doesn't like home editions of windows.
Apparently some people have managed it with the two reg tweaks on home editions but I couldn't get anywhere doing the tweaks.
Although most of the versions I see being asked about seem to be 2010 or early 2011 were as mine was 2012D...not sure if that was a loophole fixed in later version or not.

Norfolk Jim
Mar 11th, 2013, 11:19
Glad you got it sorted - there are also some copies out there that don't work anyway!

coastie123
Mar 11th, 2013, 19:56
***A big thanks to Coastie for helping me out getting VIDA working.***
My laptop is only a dual core 1.5 Intel celeron with a 4g of ram and a 320gig drive but it runs it just fine.
The big thing here to remember is that it really needs to be a minimum level of a professional version of windows or higher whether it be Win 7, Vista or XP .
The program doesn't like home editions of windows.
Apparently some people have managed it with the two reg tweaks on home editions but I couldn't get anywhere doing the tweaks.
Although most of the versions I see being asked about seem to be 2010 or early 2011 were as mine was 2012D...not sure if that was a loophole fixed in later version or not.

Glad it's sorted!!!:thumbs_up: