PDA

View Full Version : More Codes Now :-S

roundyuk
Jan 2nd, 2014, 18:18
So jumped in the car yesterday and the engine service light was on, but only an information message so cleared with the read key. Turned off and back on and it was still there so I took a 20 min drive. The next start the info message was gone.

Then it's been quiet for a day or two and it came up again this AM, but after a drive, off and then back on about 10 mins later gone.

Popped out to the car to give it a read and started it, info message back again, i've got the following codes;

ADM-003 Additive level sensor faulty signal
ECM-2585 Additive dosing module (ADM) Faulty signal
ECM-2585 Glow plug relay faulty signal (already knew about this, no issues with car starting so investigating slow time)

The car is an 05 S40 2.0D with 71k miles, has the 36k service completed at 33k with 1161752 Additive on the parts list. By the looks of the history the ADM tank has been replaced as at 52K 31303293 Tank and the additive again is on the list (1161752) - it also had the ADM upgrade.

Now the interesting thing is my driveway is on a slant (left to right down) and it seems to be when I start from home the code is there? Related??

Could this be a dirty connection seeing as I have the level sensor and ADM signal fault together?? Interesting it's popped up now we've had so much water on the road!

roundyuk
Jan 3rd, 2014, 20:32
Anyone had signal issues or likewise from their ADM ?

SonyVaio
Jan 3rd, 2014, 21:08
You are getting the ECM-2585 code because of the ADM code.

You cannot delete the ECM code until the ADM problem has been dealt with.

Here is the list of likely problems:

Loose connections, contact resistance or oxidation in the terminals
Open-circuit or short-circuit to ground or supply voltage in the signal cable
Damaged additive level sensor
Damaged additive dosing module (ADM).

If the additive level sensor is broken then this cannot be changed on its own and you would need a new additive tank.

Check the additive tank connector. Check for loose connections, contact resistance and oxidation.

Check the signal cable for the level sensor between additive dosing module (ADM) terminal #13 (#A13) and additive tank connector terminal #4. Check for an open-circuit. Check for a short-circuit to ground. Check for a short-circuit to supply voltage.

Check the ground cable for the level sensor between additive dosing module (ADM) terminal #10 (#A10) and additive tank connector terminal #2. Check for an open-circuit. Check for a short-circuit to ground. Check for a short-circuit to supply voltage.

All the best, if you sort the ADM the ECM code will disappear / be able to be reset.

:star-wars-smiley-01

roundyuk
Jan 3rd, 2014, 21:39
Thanks for the advice dude...

I am not a whiz when it comes to auto electrics - I can use a multimeter but how do I use it to check short circuit etc??

(sorry for being a thicko!)

EDIT: Found this :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wslo0QSrs58

SonyVaio
Jan 3rd, 2014, 22:18
First thing to do is (with ignition off and key out) disconnect the cable to the EOLYS tank which sits in the middle just above the rear axle. clean the connections on both sides (plug and connector) and then see if you can reset the ADM code followed by the ECM code.

We'll take it from there.

roundyuk
Jan 3rd, 2014, 22:34
10-4 :-)

roundyuk
Jan 5th, 2014, 13:48
So when I posted originally I reset the code, it's not come back since.

But however I got under her this AM and took the connector off, looked as clean as a whistle, maybe a tiny trace of rusty colour so i gave it a squirt with some contact cleaner.

Just jumped on VIDA and checked the code, still not back and ran through the level check which resulted in 9/15 so fingers crossed all ok :-S

Only thing that worries is the car had a new unit before as there was a code on the ADM which wouldn't clear - are the prone to failure?

What was evident when looking at the ADM, the side plate which holds one of the hoses (in a little box with clips round it) did look a little weird, like it doesn't fit correctly - whats behind it?

SonyVaio
Jan 5th, 2014, 14:24
There has been a couple off issues reported with the EOLYS tank but it is certainly not a common problem. Your ADM code was obviously just a residual stored code from the last time the tank was replaced?

Have you got VIDA/DICE? If so you would have been able to look at the error history to tell you the stored info on the error.

So have you got any codes at all now or just the one ECM code for your glow plug relay?

A pic would help if you can for the box your on about.

roundyuk
Jan 5th, 2014, 14:41
The code was a new code, when I first got my DiCE and hooked it up it wasn't there, had the car about 3 weeks and then the message came up on the dash with the ADM code stored.

No codes now, just the ECM one about the glow plug relay

noney82
Jan 5th, 2014, 15:18
Handy to have a dice/vida I really want one.