PDA

View Full Version : Brake backing plate

Roger 7
Jun 29th, 2015, 19:41
Hello,

Just taken the car for its mot and its failed on both rear brake backing plates the certificate said bad corrosion. Does anyone know where I can buy these quickly ?in Essex. And does anyone know how to replace these ? Is it an Easy job ?

dmiller
Jun 29th, 2015, 20:50
I just took mine off, they can't fail if they're not there!

David.

druid
Jun 29th, 2015, 20:51
Hello,

Just taken the car for its mot and its failed on both rear brake backing plates the certificate said bad corrosion. Does anyone know where I can buy these quickly ?in Essex. And does anyone know how to replace these ? Is it an Easy job ?

Honestly, jack the car up, pull a wheel off put it on stands and use pliers to pull away all the corroded plate, twist it a bit if you have to untill its all gone both sides. Then take it back, i am sure they have to pass it, no plate is ok corroded plate big no no!
Someone with fist hand experience will be here soon.

EDIT -Beat me to it

Antz
Jun 29th, 2015, 21:39
Cut them off.

druid
Jun 29th, 2015, 23:14
Cut them off.

If they are bad they just pull away.

Darlo 1
Jun 30th, 2015, 17:35
Err they are not a fail cos they are not a stuctural component, mine are as rotten as hell, not even a mention at mot time. I also double checked with an mot tester before mine was mot'd and he told me exactly what i have just written.

ilikewatch
Jun 30th, 2015, 18:18
Err they are not a fail cos they are not a stuctural component, mine are as rotten as hell, not even a mention at mot time. I also double checked with an mot tester before mine was mot'd and he told me exactly what i have just written.

My thoughts exactly - would be interested to see how the fail was worded?

Maybe it's down to a misunderstanding - I seem to remember that backplates (for drum brakes) are a testable item, but splash guards (for disc brakes) aren't - I'm probably wrong though :-)

I guess that if the splash guards were so rotten that they were genuinely in danger of falling off, then they could conceivably pose a danger to the person behind you when they did detach?

bobthecabbage
Jun 30th, 2015, 20:12
They are dangerous if bits break off and get caught in the calliper. They can jam things up and prevent the brakes working or jam them on.

They should be a fail but I'm not sure if they are.

Mine are rotten as hell but I try to break off the worst bits each time I look at the brakes.

pierremcalpine
Jun 30th, 2015, 20:16
I ripped mine off 40K miles ago. Replacing them is not that difficult but they are not cheap (given that they are just pieces of cheap metal). Replacing involves removing the rear hub nuts, the pads, the caliper and carrier, the disc, as well as the four mounting screws. Not a big job but not really worth doing unless you happen to be replacing the rear bearings.

Roger 7
Jul 1st, 2015, 11:28
Hello Thank you for all your replies.
The wording on the mot reads 001 near side rear brake back plate (s) securing devise excessively deteriorated (3.5.1j) the same for the offside .

The bit I don't understand is the wording securing device. This car does not have drum brakes ?

Can anyone explain this ?

FIREBOLT
Jul 1st, 2015, 12:07
On some cars like the Mitsubishi Galant the rear caliper bolts onto & is supported entirely by the back plate itself. The X40's however use a separate bracket made out of ¼" steel, hence why the back plate is like tin foil.

ilikewatch
Jul 1st, 2015, 12:29
The wording on the mot reads 001 near side rear brake back plate (s) securing devise excessively deteriorated (3.5.1j) the same for the offside .

The bit I don't understand is the wording securing device. This car does not have drum brakes ?

I'm 99.9% sure they're wrong - 3.5.1 refers to brake back plates (which have braking torque transmitted through them), our cars have "dust covers" or "splash guards" which don't. Query this with the tester and ask that they phone VOSA to confirm.

coffeejunky
Jul 1st, 2015, 14:41
Either way, even if it shouldn't be a MOT fail, it can be a safety issue for you and other road users.
Remove the wheel and snap the covers off. You might need tin snips to get tough bits off, or just bend back and forth till they fail.
I really would not bother replacing them (there is no need to do so), particularly at garage labour costs.

Darlo 1
Jul 1st, 2015, 18:55

Yes i can explain this, they are looking to make money outta you.

ilikewatch
Jul 1st, 2015, 19:02
Yes i can explain this, they are looking to make money outta you.

And the very reason I only use test centres who don't undertake repairs - no motivation for them to find work to do.

happy diver
Jul 1st, 2015, 19:29
Will mine pass?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/picture.php?albumid=1651&pictureid=7937

Oh that's right, we don't have MOTs'

flyingtech55
Jul 2nd, 2015, 11:50
For the last two MOTs my V40 has had advisories relating to corrosion of the rear back plates.

HTH

TimR