PDA

View Full Version : What is a Wentworth?

poleyhob
Sep 3rd, 2003, 19:51
Sounds like a daft question I know but was the Wentworth an official Volvo model or was it a dealer "special edition" or what? I've seen Volvos with other model designations such as "Torslanda" etc etc so....... what are they?

George Holmer
Sep 3rd, 2003, 20:14
Torslanda, Polar, Wentworth, they are all market specific names used to produce special editions of cars. If you ask your local dealer, they will tell you what options came on what models which years. THese are official Volvos. My Polar, for example, is not officially a 940 at all but just a Polar. Polar means a 940 with all the options down to cup holder and luggage cover but Wentworth, I think, is not as equipped but they are all turbos, although there again, I am willing to be proven wrong. Consider these names marketing ploys and treat these cars just like any other Volvo.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/My%20car.JPG]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 120k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/M46; 143k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 200k)

MATHIUS
Sep 3rd, 2003, 20:47
A wentworth is an offical model and was based on a Volvo 940 SE 2.0 Turbo (B200FT). The difference being that the wentworth came standard with Air conditioning and no sunroof. The sunroof wasn't even available as an option. There was an "Option pack wentworth" which included Full leather trim, 20 spoke alloys and Metallic paint. I know this as my Uncle had one!
Torslanda models are offical volvo models and are normally basic spec cars with everything available as an option. They tend to appear as a model is going to be discontinued, Ie: 240, 940 and Classic V70.
I hope this is of some use.

Matt

poleyhob
Sep 4th, 2003, 01:16
Thanks for the info Matt. However, your reamark that "They tend to appear as a model is going to be discontinued" has me somewhat confused. First of all, let me make it quite clear that I am VERY new to Volvo ownership (I've had my 940 for a little over 2 months and I have already told my wife that she will be driving a Volvo for the rest of her life!! Addictive. ain't they?). When did the 9xx series become the S/V90? I thought it was a LOT later than '92 when my wentworth was born??

Either way, I must admit to being totally smitten by my new toy. Honestly, I wish I'd discovered Volvo's 10 years ago!!

poleyhob
Sep 4th, 2003, 01:21
what are they worth in comparison with other models? ie what is the price difference between a 940 Wentworth estate and a "factory standard" 940SE Turbo estate?

George Holmer
Sep 4th, 2003, 08:25
The S90/V90 is not a 940 but a 960, i.e. different interior and different engine and rear axle and front end. They were made between 97-98 and the last 940 came in 98. Wentworth was available in the UK way before that. They are not worth any extra, as I said, they should be taken at face value. Cleary, for someone wanting to buy a 940 turbo with AC, a Wentworth is better than an SE and so with that AC, they are worth a bit more but not because they are Wentworth but because they have AC.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/My%20car.JPG]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 120k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/M46; 143k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 200k)

Wentworth Man
Sep 4th, 2003, 22:30
And not forgetting that in some markets, eg the US their GLE is the equivalent to the Wentworth with the B2300FT 2.3 Litre engine.

There is a nice set of .pdfs in the VOC members section which show the difference between a UK Wentowrth spec (as mine is) and the US spec sheet.

BTW, mine is a 92 build Wentworth in Siver - you weren't at Gaydon by any chance were you in another Silver one as well?

poleyhob
Sep 5th, 2003, 09:44
Unfortunately, I couldn't get to Gaydon due to other committments, although I would have liked to have been there. My Wentworth estate was first registered May 1992 and is in dark blue with blue interior. The bodywork has a few scratches on it at the moment from the previous owners, which I am hoping to deal with in the next couple of weeks or so. Hopefully I'll get the car up to show standard for next year.