PDA

View Full Version : Electrics: 70: - Fog light relay.

r800v6
May 19th, 2007, 00:35
Hi All,

I have been trying to get hold of a fog light relay for my V70 for a while now (without having to pay Volvo's £30 something price)
I am not desperate for it as I fitted the fog light mainly because I think the front end looks nicer, however having fitted them I may as well have them functioning if possible, I have fitted the switch, checked the electrics etc just need to fit the relay.
Now I have searched and read all the threads regarding the fog light relay and know that it should be in either position 201 or 213 in the relay unit above the pedals, problem is that everyone I email on ebay that is stripping a V70 with fog lights there is no relay there, the latest generous person stripped all the relays out for me and photo'd and numbered them, the car is a 1998 V70 the same as mine but there is no fog light relay even though the car had fog lights.
I have emailed a few people via ebay all say I can have the relay for £5 and then find that there isn't one there, can somebody please confirm for me that on the 1998 era V70 Volvos the relay is in fact where I am searching/asking people to search and is indeed a tall relay with a green base?

Any advice appreciated...Thanks.
Paul.

r800v6
May 21st, 2007, 11:45
Anyone? :hissyfit: LOL

Paul.

Georgey dee
May 21st, 2007, 13:16
I'm sure the fog light relay is the top left relay on the panel above the pedals. Also, I think it's just a normal 4 pin relay so any with the correct pin orientation should work. I'll have a look today and post up tonight.

r800v6
May 21st, 2007, 14:03
Hi Georgey,

That would be much appreciated, if it were a standard 4 pin relay then I have loads of those sitting around from my years of automotive electrics and stripping cars (I tend to keep everything much to my wifes annoyance LOL)

Thank you,
Paul.
P.S Looking on my Mitchell wiring diagrams it does appear as a standard 4 pin relay but Vadis shows it as a non-standard relay taller than normal...can you also confirm that the 'jumper' that is refferred to is the black relay with the big letter J on it?

Chris_Rogers
May 21st, 2007, 17:44
Diagrams show fog lamp relay as 2/2 at position 201 top left of the in the panel above the pedals. Standard type 4 pole relay but may be 'keyed' to the base.

Georgey dee
May 21st, 2007, 17:53
Yep the Jumper is in fact the relay with the big J on it and is a standard 4 pin relay (hella FYI), Top left of the panel. And it's not keyway'd so any 20+ amp relay should do. If you want to check the oriantation of the fog light relay and to make sure the coil and supply connectons are the same then there are two more relay J s under the fuse panel cover which are exactly the same as the fog light relay. I would take off the cover to the fuse board remove one of the J relays and check the connections, I think there's a diagram printed on the case of the relay.

bob13
May 21st, 2007, 20:21
Just been looking at mine, you say it was the top left but could it be the bottom left, green back plate. As the diagrams i have say bottom left. I am in the process of doing the same.

Cheers Bob

r800v6
May 21st, 2007, 21:46
Hi,

Thank you Georgey and Chris, I have the jumper relay (black with J on it) and think I need the 'specific' fog lamp relay.
If I remember correctly all the threads say that the J relay goes in position 201 (top left) and the green based fog relay goes in position 213 (bottom left)...but then to further add to the confusion one thread said that for the x70 series they switched them around, then another said that the green relay has been changed for a standard relay LOL
I have tried putting the J marked relay in position 201 and a standard relay in 213 and nothing happened, my investigations ended there as twisting and reaching up in the relay area really messes my back up :-(

I will look into it some more and do some checking on the wires...thank again for your help.
Paul.

Georgey dee
May 21st, 2007, 22:36
I think the lower of the relays mentioned is not actually a relay, I'm sure it's just a jumper and so a lead could be popped in to do the same job. When i get a minute i'll have another look at the diagram and come up with a plan.

bob13
May 21st, 2007, 23:00
Looking at the wiring diagram and other info, dee is right. top left is the fog light relay. There is no relay for the rear according to the circuit diagram so it must be for the front ones.

The relay looks like a standard 85,86,87,30 connection relay. The bridge part must be from pin 87 to feed the fogs, again looking at circuit diagram.

So i think a little prod with the meter and it looks like a simple job except for the position of the relay box. So pain killers at the ready!!!

Georgey dee
May 25th, 2007, 14:28
The bridge/jumper (green relay) is just to configure the car to either japan/usa/canada/eu. For the EU you need to put a link between terminals 2 + 3 on the plug that the green relay goes into. This will save you having to source one.

PS the link is power for the coil so it doesn't carry much current.

Have fun:speechless-smiley-6

George

r800v6
May 25th, 2007, 16:34
Hi,

Thank you to all for your replies.
Very useful information, I did wonder what the purpose of the jumper was, definitely looks like down some more Tramadol and get myself wedged in between the seat and pedals...then try to make sense of it before the pain killers send me off to another planet LOL

Thank you, when I get a chance to have a look I will post the results on here ;-)

Paul.

bob13
Jun 1st, 2007, 15:13
Well just fitted my front fog / driving lights and it is simple. Once you have found the right fog light switch for inside, that is the hard part. All you need is a standard 4 pin 30amp relay, cost me £3.xx from the local motor factors.

It goes in the top left socket of the relay sockets under the dash, it can go in a number of ways first time it didnt work, think is was with the writeing the right way up but turned it 180 i think. Once your hand is up there plenty of room to feel about (well almost).

Also you need to put a jumper accross the green socket bottom left of the relay sockets. There are 3 ways to set up the light but i connected the middle one to the top middle with a piece of wire and some spade connectors. This makes the fogs / driving lights come on with the main beam. Which i think is more handy having extra light on main beam than just using them in the fog. Plus you cant drive around with them on like a chav!!.

The only problem is the light on the switch (little green one) to say they are switched on doesn't come on. (prob need the volvo relay) Not a problem really as the lights only come on with the main beam, and you have a light on the dash for that. But the front fog light icon on the switch lights up at night.

Then all you need to do is fit the lights on the front wire up, i needed to extend the wires, and away. Took me a couple of hours but it is a nice day so took my time.

Cost me the price of a switch off ebay £5.00 ish, relay, cable, connectors plus what ever lights you fit.
Simple
Hope this helps
Cheers Bob........

bobcat
Jun 1st, 2007, 15:27
The bridge/jumper (green relay) is just to configure the car to either japan/usa/canada/eu. For the EU you need to put a link between terminals 2 + 3 on the plug that the green relay goes into. This will save you having to source one.

PS the link is power for the coil so it doesn't carry much current.

Have fun:speechless-smiley-6

George

or run a ignition switched 12v in and you can have the fogs operated directly by the switch (ie no headlight).

Georgey dee
Jun 1st, 2007, 17:26
The 12v switch can be got from the yellow aux socket under the steering wheel.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=33378&highlight=fog+light+switch
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=34213&highlight=yellow+connector

Equinoxe5
Oct 11th, 2008, 09:38
Hi,

Thank you Georgey and Chris, I have the jumper relay (black with J on it) and think I need the 'specific' fog lamp relay.
If I remember correctly all the threads say that the J relay goes in position 201 (top left) and the green based fog relay goes in position 213 (bottom left)...but then to further add to the confusion one thread said that for the x70 series they switched them around, then another said that the green relay has been changed for a standard relay LOL
I have tried putting the J marked relay in position 201 and a standard relay in 213 and nothing happened, my investigations ended there as twisting and reaching up in the relay area really messes my back up :-(

I will look into it some more and do some checking on the wires...thank again for your help.
Paul.

Hi,
I have the same problem with my V70 of 1999. You say that J-relay is black, but I have found three J-relay on another car (volvo 850) under the fuse panel cover but they are not black. They are color silver with a big J on top. These are the same ?
Thank's

stuartvolvo
Oct 11th, 2008, 09:47
Hi, if the fog light relay is the same from the 850, i am possitive i have one, almost new i can give you. £15 inc postage. Let me know if that suits.
regards
stuart

Equinoxe5
Nov 28th, 2008, 18:09
Hi,
I have the same problem with my V70 of 1999. You say that J-relay is black, but I have found three J-relay on another car (volvo 850) under the fuse panel cover but they are not black. They are color silver with a big J on top. These are the same ?
Thank's

No response ? :-(

r800v6
Nov 28th, 2008, 19:26
Hi,

Sorry never spotted your question, to be honest I have no idea, I gave up no manner of combinations worked for me, the lights just wouldn't work and my back wasn't up to the strains of crawling around under the dash.

At some point I'd like to get them working but not physically up to it right now.

Paul.

catflem
Jan 17th, 2012, 17:41
Well just fitted my front fog / driving lights and it is simple. Once you have found the right fog light switch for inside, that is the hard part. All you need is a standard 4 pin 30amp relay, cost me £3.xx from the local motor factors.

It goes in the top left socket of the relay sockets under the dash, it can go in a number of ways first time it didnt work, think is was with the writeing the right way up but turned it 180 i think. Once your hand is up there plenty of room to feel about (well almost).

Also you need to put a jumper accross the green socket bottom left of the relay sockets. There are 3 ways to set up the light but i connected the middle one to the top middle with a piece of wire and some spade connectors. This makes the fogs / driving lights come on with the main beam. Which i think is more handy having extra light on main beam than just using them in the fog. Plus you cant drive around with them on like a chav!!.

The only problem is the light on the switch (little green one) to say they are switched on doesn't come on. (prob need the volvo relay) Not a problem really as the lights only come on with the main beam, and you have a light on the dash for that. But the front fog light icon on the switch lights up at night.

Then all you need to do is fit the lights on the front wire up, i needed to extend the wires, and away. Took me a couple of hours but it is a nice day so took my time.

Cost me the price of a switch off ebay £5.00 ish, relay, cable, connectors plus what ever lights you fit.
Simple
Hope this helps
Cheers Bob........

Following on from Bob's excellent post which has saved me loads of aggro

I've just fitted 2 "J" relays, one in the top left relay position, and another in the bottom left relay position. Both relays were turned 180 Degrees (so they look like a lower case r).

The front fogs now work on full beam, and the green light on the front fog switch does illuminate when the fogs are on.

I thought the above clarification may be useful to anyone else thinking of retro fitting fog lights to a phase 1 V70 (1998 TDI).