PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) Engine 2.0D : - S40 2.0D starting problem

stevo71
Jun 25th, 2007, 13:05
hi.. my first post, and its a problem :(

i currently drive a 2004 S40 2 litre diesel.. occasionally when i start it the engine refuses to tick over smoothly.. if you press the accelerator pedal nothing happens and the car will tick over even worse.. the car eventually cuts out...
after waiting a few minutes and numorous trys the car will start and you can apply a little throttle. the revs are very 'lumpy' but will climb slowly. and the exhaust churns out a lot of fumes........ after a few moments you here a noticable 'click' from under the bonnet as if something has switched on/off and the car returns to its normal glorious self..

i recently had the car serviced thinking it would solve the problem but it still happens... only on the odd occasion i might add though. not all the time

any of you guys have any ideas ??????

Paul Clifton
Jun 25th, 2007, 20:56
Sounds to me like the dreaded EGR valve sticking, a known problem on early cars. Get your dealer to read fault codes if there is any for EGR it will need replacing.

Paul.

stevo71
Jun 26th, 2007, 19:01
Sounds to me like the dreaded EGR valve sticking, a known problem on early cars. Get your dealer to read fault codes if there is any for EGR it will need replacing.

Paul.

spoke to a mate of mine whose a mechanic and he said the EGR valvestend to play up when the engine is warmed up.. does this sound right ?? i forgot to mention my problem happens when the engine is started from cold

also.... if it is the EGR valve do you think it could be sticking open when i leave the car after a drive .... thus causing the problem when i come to start it up again from cold ???

paulmacs
Jun 27th, 2007, 17:32
I'd go with the above, the exact same happened to a friends car and the dealer replaced the part.

jor
Jun 27th, 2007, 17:58
Is EGR a necessary part on modern diesels? On the old ones (d24 as in 940's) the advice is to block it off.

john

Northview
Jun 28th, 2007, 15:30
As I understand it (and more technically knowledgeable posters may like to correct me), the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve is needed as part of the emission control system. Basically, by recirculating some exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber, the overall combustion temperature is reduced enough to keep the production of some compound or other (NOx?) to an acceptable level. Higher tempertures would mean more of this substance being produced. (Hmm...the more I typed, the less I could remember about it!)

I have a 2006 S40 2.0D SE, and I get the same problem every few weeks. It also sometimes affects the engine when it's fully warmed up - not much fun when you're pulling out of a junction onto a busy road! I've taken the car back to the dealer repeatedly, and they always say, "Sounds like the EGR valve", followed by, "No fault codes in the computer", and even on one occasion, "...but we've replaced the EGR anyway". Now, more than 12 months on, it's no better.

Hopefully you'll have better luck!

s.robo
Jun 28th, 2007, 20:09
hi guys i have a 2004 s40 2.0d se with similar prob as well ...it has 71.000 miles on the clock and i mentioned it to our local Volvo dealer he said that my car next service at 72.000 will require changing the diesel particulate filter it costs £360.00 but total service price is £1000 because of the required part...
he goes on saying it restricts the flow of the burnt exhaust gases and causes it to choke it self that why it does it at low ideal speed ..

what you reckon guys any one else had a 72.000 service yet...

shandy
Jun 29th, 2007, 19:18
Its nice to hear that there are other volvo owners with the same problems and no dealer response.

Ive had this starting problem with my V50 2.0D for over a year now and the dealer cant find the problem. As ive previously posted, the engine is fitted in the Ford focus and Ford are aware of the same starting problem.
Although volvo are owned by ford, Volvo wont recognise this when i have spoken with them. They seem to think us Volvo owners are stupid and their products are their own.

After speaking with a very friendly ford mechanic, the problem on the focus is the EGR valve. This sticks open causing the starting fault. He also told me that this will not show as a fault code as it is a mechanical part and not and electrical part.

Do dont believe the dealer when they go into Little Britian mode and say "The computer says No".
When i spoke with Volvo last, i asked them if they have spoken with Ford technical. They never gave me a straight answer.
I general, there seems to be more help and knowledge on this forum than Volvo possess. Now my car willl only go to a Volvo dealer for waranty work. Servicing will be done at a trustworthy garage that wont rob me.

Keep up the fight and dont let Volvo fob us off:Dancing_chief:

Clan
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:49
The Particulate filter in the exhaust is scheduled to be changed at 72000 miles , however the flow through this is monitored by the engine managment system and when there is a restriction beyond a specified limit it will post an "Engine service Required " or similar message i would wait until this happens i think . you may get up to 100,000 miles from it ,, who knows ...

s.robo
Jun 30th, 2007, 21:10
nice one i will wait to i get the message...i want to get a Haynes manual for it so i can do the oil change my self....

would you get the engine service message if the egr valve needs replacing..

i like the car only had it a week now having a tow bar fitted soon ..

any one else tow a caravan with S40 ?

stevo71
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:58
Its nice to hear that there are other volvo owners with the same problems and no dealer response.

Ive had this starting problem with my V50 2.0D for over a year now and the dealer cant find the problem. As ive previously posted, the engine is fitted in the Ford focus and Ford are aware of the same starting problem.
Although volvo are owned by ford, Volvo wont recognise this when i have spoken with them. They seem to think us Volvo owners are stupid and their products are their own.

After speaking with a very friendly ford mechanic, the problem on the focus is the EGR valve. This sticks open causing the starting fault. He also told me that this will not show as a fault code as it is a mechanical part and not and electrical part.

Do dont believe the dealer when they go into Little Britian mode and say "The computer says No".
When i spoke with Volvo last, i asked them if they have spoken with Ford technical. They never gave me a straight answer.
I general, there seems to be more help and knowledge on this forum than Volvo possess. Now my car willl only go to a Volvo dealer for waranty work. Servicing will be done at a trustworthy garage that wont rob me.

Keep up the fight and dont let Volvo fob us off:Dancing_chief:

this is exactly what i had thought was wrong in the beginning... maybe the valve is sticking open when you leave the car.. the problem will only materialise when you return to it, even if its the next day

'touch wood' the problem hasnt happened since i started this thread :blk_md_wht:

if i do need it replacing how much does it cost ??? anyone got any ideas ???

John T
Jul 3rd, 2007, 15:21
In last year's Which Car (2006/2007) the S40/V40 was a best buy. As a result of the report (and other information) I purchased one nearly new from Stratstone Reading and have been very pleased with it.

However, this year's Which? report has just arrived and the S40/V50 has a respectable 4 stars overall. But this time the report says

' A best buy last year, the S40/V40 has fallen from grace due to owners reporting inexplicably poor reliability for newer models.
Confident handling and good suspension make driving a pleasure. It has impressive safety and security - so is the S40 a good car? Sadly not, with reliability like this.'

It would be unfair to reproduce the whole review here, but under troublespots it says
2002 - 2004: None
2005 - 2007 Immobiliser, alarm, onboard computer software, audio equipment.

Having had almost 100,000 trouble-free miles in a diesel Mondeo I hoped to be getting similar reliability from the upmarket member of the Ford stable. Am I going to be disappointed? Does the club have any influence on Volvo to get things right?

John T

Jan Carmichael
Mar 5th, 2008, 15:42
I just posted my throttle housing thread, and am also a new member.

My 05 s40 Diesel behaved in the same way.

3 trips to one dealer and no joy.
I took it elsewhere and the throttle housing was replaced immediately.
Almost before I could let them know the issues!

So this is not new news.

Jan

As I understand it (and more technically knowledgeable posters may like to correct me), the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve is needed as part of the emission control system. Basically, by recirculating some exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber, the overall combustion temperature is reduced enough to keep the production of some compound or other (NOx?) to an acceptable level. Higher tempertures would mean more of this substance being produced. (Hmm...the more I typed, the less I could remember about it!)

I have a 2006 S40 2.0D SE, and I get the same problem every few weeks. It also sometimes affects the engine when it's fully warmed up - not much fun when you're pulling out of a junction onto a busy road! I've taken the car back to the dealer repeatedly, and they always say, "Sounds like the EGR valve", followed by, "No fault codes in the computer", and even on one occasion, "...but we've replaced the EGR anyway". Now, more than 12 months on, it's no better.

Hopefully you'll have better luck!

MPlb21
Dec 14th, 2008, 06:03
OK, so if it's not a sticking throttle that's causing my intermittent starting problem (see other thread) then my symptoms also sounds similar to this EGR valve problem.

Occasionally my 2004 V50 2.0D starts, very lumpy, no revs and then just stalls. Sometimes it'll start on the next turnover but sometimes it takes a lot of attempts to get it to fire up properly.

Does this sound like a sticking throttle and/or EGR valve problem?

It's now out of warranty so I'll have to cough up for any replacements myself.

From what I've read it's a mechanical issue so the software won't necessarily show up any problem. If just take it to a dealer and ask them the EGR valve does anyone have an idea of how long it should take to replace it and how much the actual valve costs?

Thanks

Clan
Dec 14th, 2008, 08:58
It's more likely the throttle valve than the egr causing a starting problem ... throttle valve about £60 EGR valve about £200 ...
And volvo may help you IF it is the EGR valve if you have have a full volvo service record .