PDA

View Full Version : D5 (2005 on) - s80 d5

pennyburn
Sep 14th, 2007, 13:15
hello everybody ,just joined the forums, i have bought a 06 s80 d5 auto, when i fill the car to the throat with diesel, i am only getting 400 miles to me this seems excessive,
i phoned the dealer and talked to a mechanic and he said this could be ok if it is town driving. can anyone tell me if this is right or wrong.
i also have a 97 c class 250d and i get 150 miles more for the same amount of diesel

Paul Wildsmith
Sep 14th, 2007, 13:48
everyone will give you a different number - but I get on my 'careful' drive to work, mainly B roads, about 42mpg, 48mpg or so along a motorway, but low 30's when on holiday potteering around local roads, lanes etc..

hawaiianblue
Sep 14th, 2007, 18:45
Is the Merc a manual or automatic?

Clan
Sep 14th, 2007, 20:30
hello everybody ,just joined the forums, i have bought a 06 s80 d5 auto, when i fill the car to the throat with diesel, i am only getting 400 miles to me this seems excessive,
i phoned the dealer and talked to a mechanic and he said this could be ok if it is town driving. can anyone tell me if this is right or wrong.
i also have a 97 c class 250d and i get 150 miles more for the same amount of diesel

Thats all very vague , 400 miles intil it runs out of fuel? 400 miles until the needle is "almost" empty?
There is only one way to work out MPG , fill to the brim , zero trip meter . Drive until tank is low , then re fill . Note the amount of litres to refull to the brim , say 65 Litres for example . Divide this by 4.54 to get the number of gallons ( 14.3) Then note the mileage covered on the trip meter say 654 for example .

Divide the 654 by 14.3 to get the MPG on that tank of fuel in this case 45.7 mpg which is possible if you are above an aveage speed of 35 mph ...

I guess you dont have the fuel computer in the car ...

The vague guesses " to a tank" are useless and mean nothing , you need a scientific test .. you may still have 2 gallons left in your tank when you make your calculation which will give a completely misleading answer .

If you are running around dropping children off every day you wont get much more than 35 mpg however if you are up and down the motor way all day and not going over 70 mph expect 50 mpg .
The car can do it if the driver lets it :-) But the key is the AVERAGE speed ...

v70d5185
Sep 24th, 2007, 18:29
Write or wrong hard to say
400 miles with a 70 ltr capacity fuel tank
Equivalent to 10.8 ltrs per 100 Km consumption
If your S60 has an automatic gearbox and in addition you mainly carry out urban travel, although the overall consumption value seems to be high, I would consider it as normal.
Is your S60 equipped with a manual gear box and you mainly carry out urban travel, the consumption should be 1 - 1.5 litres less [Min 9.3 ltrs per 100Km]
Please do take into consideration, only when the engine has achieved its ideal operating temperature, fuel consumption drops to normal values [According to the S60 technical data, look this up in you technical book, which should be in your glove box]
How are the figures on a long run trip ? [200 - 1'000Km distance]
Here the consumption value should drop to 5.5 - 6.8 ltrs per 100km [Hypothesis: Average speed Max 140km|H, Min 120 km|H]
Should this not be so, then in your place I would contact your local Volvo dealer

Kindest Regards:blk_md_wht:

Stuart Salter
Nov 4th, 2007, 17:08
Sounds a bit pants I get 555 miles to 70 litres that’s 36 mpg, doing town driving stop and start, mine is a s60 2002 d5 auto with 138k.

JIM C
Nov 4th, 2007, 18:07
I have a S60 D5 Manual 55,000 miles and get 42 mpg everyday driving and middle to high 40`s on a run. I am very pleased with it.

Bernard333
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:45
40 plus mpg for an S80 D5 Auto for town driving would be quite good and you are paying for having an auto box by using more fuel than a manual . I get an average of 50mpg from my V70 D5 over the past 113k miles all motorway driving . When on the rare occasion I can give myself enough time I have managed to get 80mpg on a 200mile plus journeys but you need the patience of a saint and various passengers have threatened to get out and walk if I go any slower so even though everyone goes on about saving the planet most people I have found just want to get there as fast as possible . There is also a problem working out exactly what your consumption is because even though I log all my fuel on a spread sheet I have found that for the exact same journey using a large number of different cars they clock between 206 and 219 miles a 6% difference and I am never convinced that you can always trust the petrol station . The worst consumption I can manage is 22 mpg going on holiday with a car full of lunatics telling me we are going too slow when we are cruising at 120mph and the traffic is still overtaking us on the German Autobahn . Does anyone know how to get more mpg apart from the obvious driving technique and tyres/tyre pressure stuff , I suspect that chipping will not help apart from giving increased power which I dont need ?

RoyMacDonald
Nov 17th, 2007, 17:39
40 plus mpg for an S80 D5 Auto for town driving would be quite good and you are paying for having an auto box by using more fuel than a manual . I get an average of 50mpg from my V70 D5 over the past 113k miles all motorway driving . When on the rare occasion I can give myself enough time I have managed to get 80mpg on a 200mile plus journeys but you need the patience of a saint and various passengers have threatened to get out and walk if I go any slower so even though everyone goes on about saving the planet most people I have found just want to get there as fast as possible . There is also a problem working out exactly what your consumption is because even though I log all my fuel on a spread sheet I have found that for the exact same journey using a large number of different cars they clock between 206 and 219 miles a 6% difference and I am never convinced that you can always trust the petrol station . The worst consumption I can manage is 22 mpg going on holiday with a car full of lunatics telling me we are going too slow when we are cruising at 120mph and the traffic is still overtaking us on the German Autobahn . Does anyone know how to get more mpg apart from the obvious driving technique and tyres/tyre pressure stuff , I suspect that chipping will not help apart from giving increased power which I dont need ?

Make the car lighter and strip out as much uneccessary weight as possible. I'd sugest throwing out the lunatics first. ;-)

chpphoto
Dec 5th, 2007, 16:16
town+motorways+general driving @20000 miles per year, V70 D5 Geartronic 6 speed =38mpg ave

switcher
May 10th, 2009, 22:32
Been driving fo 45 years and have always wondered why everyone always gets better MPG than me and travels from A to B quicker.