PDA

View Full Version : General - 2.5D type D5252T turbo diesel V70

KenV70
Sep 23rd, 2007, 23:21
Does anyone have knowledge of the appropriate fault code reader/scanner which will work correctly with a 2001 model year (registered Sept. 2000) V70 2.5 D with type D5252T Audi/VW engine? There are plenty of adverts out there but it would appear that none I`ve seen will be compatible with my model as it`s pre 2003/4 when diesel OBD2 became law. The car is fitted with a marked `OBD11` 16 pin connector socket but I`m now thinking that Volvo must have wired it to their own specific needs and not to one of the existing OBD 2 protocols- I recently tried some new readers from Gendan and they would not work with my car although they were compatible with OBD2, EOBD, ISO, KWP2000,PWM,VPW and CAN protocols. If there is nothing out there (except the Main or independant Dealer test equipment) that will read my vehicle, does anyone know of any DIY methods that will work? I`ve tried the paperclip-and-count-the-light-flashes method but this didn`t work either! Lastly, the OBD 2 socket has the following pins populated - (Top Row- 3,4,5,6,7. Bottom Row- 11,14,16. Food for thought!! Thanks a lot KenV70

Jod T5
Sep 24th, 2007, 10:01
Does anyone have knowledge of the appropriate fault code reader/scanner which will work correctly with a 2001 model year (registered Sept. 2000) V70 2.5 D with type D5252T Audi/VW engine? There are plenty of adverts out there but it would appear that none I`ve seen will be compatible with my model as it`s pre 2003/4 when diesel OBD2 became law. The car is fitted with a marked `OBD11` 16 pin connector socket but I`m now thinking that Volvo must have wired it to their own specific needs and not to one of the existing OBD 2 protocols- I recently tried some new readers from Gendan and they would not work with my car although they were compatible with OBD2, EOBD, ISO, KWP2000,PWM,VPW and CAN protocols. If there is nothing out there (except the Main or independant Dealer test equipment) that will read my vehicle, does anyone know of any DIY methods that will work? I`ve tried the paperclip-and-count-the-light-flashes method but this didn`t work either! Lastly, the OBD 2 socket has the following pins populated - (Top Row- 3,4,5,6,7. Bottom Row- 11,14,16. Food for thought!! Thanks a lot KenV70

sorry kev but i have not got a clue, but i know someone who may....send a pm to chris rogers who i expect will be able to sort you out... http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/private.php?do=newpm&u=11
cheers
jod

outnumbered
Sep 24th, 2007, 18:48

hi
you will not be able to get a code reader from the internet, e bay or any of the above that will work with your car. your engine manegement system is msa 15.8 so unless you no a auto elec who has the code reader to read msa 15.8, it will be a main dealer or an indi. hope that helps .
mike
850 tdi p box

KenV70
Sep 26th, 2007, 21:54
Hi Mike and thanks for your reply to my enquiry. Please excuse my ignorance but could you confirm exactly what MSA 15.8 is? (I`m assuming it may be the type of computer softwear which has been installed by Volvo) I know that my local independant Volvo repairer uses both a laptop and/or a handheld unit when reading my vehicle`s diagnostic socket. I couldn`t see what make his handheld unit was, but he reckoned it cost about £400 which is way over what I had in mind when looking to buy my own reader! Again, thanks for your time, Ken.

Chris_Rogers
Sep 27th, 2007, 17:40
As you have PM'd me re. this I thought it best ro answer here:

As has been said the engine management system in your car will be Bosch MSA 15.8.

I'm afraid I know of no equipment, within the budget you mentioned above, that will communicate with this unit.

embo
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:02
hi everyone would the sykes picitant code reader work with volvo pods seen them on ebay and are becoming cheap im rattling my brains myself about the readers so far brought three but dont work with my 2.5 tdi 1997

outnumbered
Nov 17th, 2007, 08:10
hi everyone would the sykes picitant code reader work with volvo pods seen them on ebay and are becoming cheap im rattling my brains myself about the readers so far brought three but dont work with my 2.5 tdi 1997

hi
i have a code reader for your car, i have pm you
mike
850 tdi

smino
Nov 17th, 2007, 13:01
hi there
the code reader from ppc model bsr will read and erase codes and will also read abs and air bags on the msa 15.8 2.5 tdi with the audi engine. obviously will only turn out the mil after the fault has been fixed.

richardbell556
Sep 25th, 2008, 20:17
can anyone else say this is true about above post ???? msa 15.8 can be read by this scanner

phasesonix
Sep 26th, 2008, 21:14
can anyone else say this is true about above post ???? msa 15.8 can be read by this scanner

Hi,

Yes it will work with your car. I can supply you with one or you can use mine for free if you live nearby(West wales).

Loz

phasesonix
Sep 26th, 2008, 21:15

Hi,

I can supply you with one or you can use mine for free if you live nearby(West wales).

Loz

richardbell556
Oct 1st, 2008, 20:43
how much? don't live close sorry 300mls away

BillB
Oct 3rd, 2008, 15:26
Loz,

Will this bsr ppc reader definitely read and clear codes on an MSA15.8 diesel? I have a year 2000 2.5D classic with msa15.8 and have been trying for some time to find a code reader (or VCT2000 info). It would be a revelation if this thing works. How much? Regards.

phasesonix
Oct 4th, 2008, 01:56
how much? don't live close sorry 300mls away

Hi,

I'm not selling them now(ebay+paypal fees)-but I'll PM you the comany that I get them from.

Loz

phasesonix
Oct 4th, 2008, 01:57
Loz,

Will this bsr ppc reader definitely read and clear codes on an MSA15.8 diesel? I have a year 2000 2.5D classic with msa15.8 and have been trying for some time to find a code reader (or VCT2000 info). It would be a revelation if this thing works. How much? Regards.

Hi,

Yes it work and has saved me £££s,

I'll PM you the company that I got them from.

Loz

richardbell556
Oct 4th, 2008, 12:50
this is the one i've seen but readup says it dosen't work on 2.5 d 99/2000? is this the one to look for or is it somthing else?

http://www.ppc-diagnostic.com/info/

phasesonix
Oct 6th, 2008, 02:02
this is the one i've seen but readup says it dosen't work on 2.5 d 99/2000? is this the one to look for or is it somthing else?

Hi,

it works with my late 2000 2.5D(new shape)

Loz

richardbell556
Oct 9th, 2008, 23:06
Hi,

Yes it will work with your car. I can supply you with one or you can use mine for free if you live nearby(West wales).

Loz

a big thanks for phaseonix's help. i bought a code reader for our car and it is reading the codes, and are car is msa 15.8 2.5d 1999/2000 so if anyone is looking to buy one without spending thousand don't be frightend to buy one.only got it today it worked on lads across steet to 2002 v70 d5 desiel too. possibley not do every thing but alot better than nothing ..just a shame it can't fix it to. have to find a man called jim...

Eamon Talty
Oct 13th, 2008, 23:06
Hi Richard or Phasesonix - Please can you pm me details of code reader, and where to obtain one from with price P&P etc Many Thanks Eamon

richardbell556
Oct 20th, 2008, 19:51
go to site phone no. ask for ppc volvo code reader for volvo .price is £49.99 +vat. vat=£8.75 total £58.74 to your door .. will need debit card at ready to pay dispatched next day . be with you in two days or so from day ordered easy (working days) must phone to order not listed on web site. they know instantly what you want! happy shopping ..

richardbell556
Oct 20th, 2008, 19:55
tel no. 01932338600 (surrey)

BillB
Oct 21st, 2008, 13:16
I don't doubt anyone here who says this thing works but when I rang Nordic with the intention to order I sought confirmation with them that the reader would work with MSA15.8 on a year 2000 classic shape V70 Tdi. Nordic's man "Justin" made an enquiry to bsr (the supplier) on my behalf and the reply was that it WOULDN'T read my car BUT they were intending to release another reader in January that would. So now I'm wondering what to do. Regards.

richardbell556
Oct 21st, 2008, 18:11
i've done my home work for the last year! look at it this way unless you have £8000 to spend you will not get a new bosch decoder and then after a year have to pay £800 for software renewal .. mine is msr18.5 or what ever its a v70 2.5d year 2000 ... if you can read some is better than now't .... you might get a fault like mine that can be read on other hand it might not but i think i'm write in saying that some garages would charge you £50 ish or more even if and i mean if they can as 99.99998 will not anyway . unless they know for sure they can read your car...if not will they still charge you for 1hrs labour???? at least you have a chance to read the code i say chance as ive only read the fault code that i have .. but i also read v70 2002 2.4 d5 desiel too so if it can read some it's better than nothing... without one you in the hands of the gods.. plus if you can read the fault say its a bulb on your head light you could go to a garage to read code and be told a load of ===t that is nothing to do with the bulb.not saying it will happen but ?
you might know the fault code whats wrong but don't know how to fix it . at least you have less chance of a hole in your pocket if it reads one fault and you fix it is that not worth your £50 or less chance of been robbed. at onetime you worried about the points slipping ect. at least you had a chance nowadays if the car brakes down is it even worth opening the bonnet???? if so why dont serpose you carry all that eleci wiz'dry in your jacket pocket going to asda shopping just incase?? lol sign of the time bring back the good old days...

BillB
Oct 21st, 2008, 22:06
OK Richard I take your point. I better give it a go. BTW, my best local main dealer charges me about £20 to read and clear (for a VOC member) but, as you indicate, if it needs reading three times I'm still quids in with the ppc reader. Regards.

kvcuijck
Feb 19th, 2010, 23:50
I used this PPC device from BSR with my 2.5D '99 MSA 15.8 V70. It seems to be doing the trick with the engine management fault codes.

Last year I also had the "engine warning light" on for quite some time and suspected the EGR system to be the problem. Unfortunately I could not read out the fault codes.

With the PPC device I get the following code:
ECM 0038. Looking up at their website it says something in Swedish I cannot understand. It defenitely has something to do with EGR ;)

Anybody?:
ECM-0038 EGR-reglering. För högt flöde
ECM-0038 EGR-reglering. För högt flöde/ För lågt flöde.
ECM-0038 EGR-reglering. För lågt flöde

Regards,

Koen

flatstick
Feb 23rd, 2010, 20:40
I used this PPC device from BSR with my 2.5D '99 MSA 15.8 V70. It seems to be doing the trick with the engine management fault codes.

Last year I also had the "engine warning light" on for quite some time and suspected the EGR system to be the problem. Unfortunately I could not read out the fault codes.

With the PPC device I get the following code:
ECM 0038. Looking up at their website it says something in Swedish I cannot understand. It defenitely has something to do with EGR ;)

Anybody?:

Regards,

Koen
Hi, my bible says that ecm 0038 is REAR HO2S BANK1 HEATING, and EGR is relivant to EXHAUST GAS RECERCULATION, check these codes in full on www.ppc-diagnostic.com.
Hope this has been of some help to you

Dav
Feb 25th, 2010, 17:16
Hi,

Yes it work and has saved me £££s,

I'll PM you the company that I got them from.

Loz
Hi sorry to hi-jack this but could you do the same for me please. Dave

kvcuijck
Mar 11th, 2010, 13:33
After getting in contact with BSR I received the following reply I would like to share:

Here is a translation. It indicates a flow issue with the EGR system. A Volvo mechanic can help you with interpreting the code and suggest a proper course of action.

ECM-0038 EGR-regulation, flow rate too low.

ECM-0038 EGR-regulation, flow rate too high/ too low.

ECM-0038 EGR-regulation, flow rate too high

Im my case I suspect flow rate too low, but that's another discussion in a different subject.

Regards,

Koen

P.s. This PPC Diagnostic System works perfect for reading out DTC's related to the engine control module.

alv70d1999
Mar 15th, 2010, 09:06
has anyone come to a conclusion as to what code reader will read ecu codes and reset the airbag on msa15.8 yet?

iv been told that the maxidiag eu702 will work but i dont know anyone thats got one?

prionailurus
May 20th, 2010, 01:03
Very curious to see what will read 15.8, I've got the lead and a USB to serial converter lead, but FCR1.3 is just giving interface errors on the port, as is scantool & EasyOBDII :(

keithC70
May 20th, 2010, 09:47
I have the BSR PPC which I've used on my S80s but it will not work on my daughter's 1999 V70 tdi which is MSA 15.8. Nor will Vol FCR which I use on my 1998 V70 tdi.

BillB
May 20th, 2010, 13:46
VolFCR will not read MSA15.8 only 15.7 (up to some date in 98). You need a bsr ppc (not made any longer) or a VCT2000 (very expensive) or you need to be a machine code / comms expert who can crack the propietary protocol used. Regards.

gljuk
Dec 12th, 2010, 09:31
Have somebody used Chinese Volvo Dice tools? They are available for 800$ from internet. Do they work? Any feedback about them?
Thank you!

outnumbered
Dec 12th, 2010, 12:10
Have somebody used Chinese Volvo Dice tools? They are available for 800$ from internet. Do they work? Any feedback about them?
Thank you!

cheap copys .
mike

gljuk
Dec 12th, 2010, 12:22
So, don't they work or work for some days and then break?
What about information, that copies and originals are assembled in the same factory?

Scoff
Sep 27th, 2011, 21:33
I feel I already know the answer to this question but here goes... Does anybody have a bsr ppc for sale ? For me to go down the diy route to repair my motor, I really need one of these.

flatstick
Sep 28th, 2011, 22:58
I feel I already know the answer to this question but here goes... Does anybody have a bsr ppc for sale ? For me to go down the diy route to repair my motor, I really need one of these.

I'm selling mine as from this coming Saturday (oct 1) it reads my codes on v70 2000, p2 shape, bosh 15.8 mca, engine 5252t, vw/audi engine,
regards, steve

Scoff
Sep 29th, 2011, 10:53
Hi, Steve, how much are you wanting for your reader?

flatstick
Sep 29th, 2011, 20:40
have sent you a PM, regards, steve

Scoff
Sep 29th, 2011, 20:46
Hi Steve, got your pm but can't reply due to not having enough posts. I just hope you check back on this thread! I will deffo have the reader off you mate!!! Could you email me your address please at bobbler20@yahoo.co.uk so we can arrange the best time for you for me to pick it up. Cheers Steve!

flatstick
Sep 29th, 2011, 22:42
Hi Steve, got your pm but can't reply due to not having enough posts. I just hope you check back on this thread! I will deffo have the reader off you mate!!! Could you email me your address please at bobbler20@yahoo.co.uk so we can arrange the best time for you for me to pick it up. Cheers Steve!

have pm'd you my number, regards

Adamb88
May 12th, 2015, 07:23
Guys, the PPC Diagnostics site says 'domain parked' - assume they have stopped trading. Does anyone have an alternative for reading codes for subject engine???

Thanks

Adam

brickman
May 14th, 2015, 20:43
Not sure how PPC diagnostics is, depends which engine you have /year that depends which system you should get.

D5252t from 1998 or older, Ilexia VOL-FCR is what you want.

D5252t from 1999 or later, VIDA/DICE is what you want.

Phaedrus68
Jun 9th, 2015, 13:47
What VIDA/DICE options are there for the DIY home maintenance guy? Are there numerous manufacturers? Are some examples "better" or more accurate/reliable than others? Are some examples pieces of crap?

What should I be searching for on the google thing? Should I search google UK only?

Mine's a 2001 D5252T P2, registered mid-2000.

Thanks guys.