PDA

View Full Version : General - Diesel tuning box (chip) yes / no?

corky
Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:02
Hi,

I believe that if you fit a tuning you can substantially increase the BHP & fuel economy of a turbo diesel (?).

The prices seem to vary wildly on the net I've had prices from £49-99 - £415
for boxes that seem to claim to do the same thing. Even saw a mod on ebay for less than a fiver but I got the impression it was just a resistor or similar single component.

Would like to see peoples comments on this, have you got one that you can recommend?

Obviously I'd prefer to pay nearer £50 for one but are the budget ones cheap and tacky?

TY in advance for your comments on this.

John_C
Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:18
If you're going to get a diesel tuning box MAKE SURE it is a digital one, the earlier analogue ones have a bad reputation for causing injector failure.

It's been a long time since I looked into diesel tuning boxes but about 12 months ago when I last checked into them it looked like a remap was the way to go if one is available for your car - less to go wrong and generally better than a tuning box but very expensive. Not sure if things have changed, but I'm sure a derv-head will be along soon ;)

Cheers,
John

Gazmo
Oct 11th, 2007, 23:14
check out dieselbob.co.uk its a site that deals with diesel tuning and is full of info

outnumbered
Oct 12th, 2007, 22:11
Hi,

I believe that if you fit a tuning you can substantially increase the BHP & fuel economy of a turbo diesel (?).

The prices seem to vary wildly on the net I've had prices from £49-99 - £415
for boxes that seem to claim to do the same thing. Even saw a mod on ebay for less than a fiver but I got the impression it was just a resistor or similar single component.

Would like to see peoples comments on this, have you got one that you can recommend?

Obviously I'd prefer to pay nearer £50 for one but are the budget ones cheap and tacky?

TY in advance for your comments on this.

hi
i have a spare plug and play if your interested.
mike
850 tdi

Stuart Salter
Nov 4th, 2007, 17:02
Thinking of this myself been on ebay £250 for remap try going on www.ecu-remapping.com.
Also you could go on dieselbob.co.uk tuning box about £290.00

JIM C
Nov 4th, 2007, 18:03
I have a powerklick and had no problems.
http://powerklick.co.uk/