PDA

View Full Version : General - help tdi smoking

cymru
Oct 13th, 2007, 15:14
ive had a look around the forum and found some posts about smoking tdi's and it seemed to be down to timing not to sure if thats the case with mine.

my 141k 1998 v70 tdi smokes bad and i mean bad (cant see the cars behind me)when i put my foot down
and if i havnt put my foot down for some time heavy black soot is left on the road as on the tdi's the exhaust point down to the road..
please please help.
what are the first steps to finding out the problem.
ie got a filter kit and oil at the ready...
many thanks

Gazmo
Oct 13th, 2007, 17:08
Ive had a similar problem with my 97 v70 tdi, when i bought it there was no recent service history the engine oil was like black water so i stuck some comma diesel oil flush in the engine and drove it for 40 mile then did an oil and filter change and found there was 7 1/2 litres of oil in the engine, ive used comma eurodiesel semi synthetic and this seems to have cured the problem along with a fuel and air filter change,although i still get a puff of black smoke when under hard acceleration,ive just stuck some wynns supercharge for oil in today and this has also had the benefit of quieting the engine down:blk_md_wht:

cymru
Oct 13th, 2007, 17:36
thanks,
yep think the first step oil and filter kit and see what happens..

outnumbered
Oct 13th, 2007, 20:19
thanks,
yep think the first step oil and filter kit and see what happens..

hi
as has been said do the oil,fuel filter and air filter first. also clean out all the intercooler pipes, these will have oil in them, check and clean the intercooler itself, check all vac pipes for wear , and last but not least the pump timeing may need adjustment, this can only be done via a scan tool.
hope that helps
mike
850 tdi p box

Clan
Oct 13th, 2007, 20:32
Black smoke is unburnt fuel i cant see how the oil can affect that whatever state it is in . The timing will always be correct as long as the Engine managment light is off , It is controled by the Engine Control Unit . Yes it can be checked with a Volvo scan tool , but thats just to get the basic position that the computer can work with .. it will advance and retard correctly from there . The Light will come on if the computer cant get the injection timing it needs due to adjustment parameters being out of tolerance ...

jor
Oct 13th, 2007, 20:54
So if changing oil and filters won't help Clan and timing isn't out, what would you suggest?

JOHN

Clan
Oct 13th, 2007, 21:26
So if changing oil and filters won't help Clan and timing isn't out, what would you suggest?

JOHN

If these engines are driven gently through towm a lot and never driven over 3000 rpm they tend to soot up . The cure is a good drive with lots of full throttle accelleration up to the rev cut out in 2nd and 3rd gears you will find the smoke gets less and less with each burst of accelleration unti it is very reasonable or even non existant . It is a good idea to do this before the MOT as well . If this doesnt reduce the smoke then it is possible the injectors need attention if high mileage ..or perhaps the camshaft timing is out it needs a special plate to set it up if the cam pulley is ever removed .
a VERY restricted air filter may cause black smoke too ...

jor
Oct 13th, 2007, 21:58
I hope it's not injector replacement time for the lad, I think they all have to be replaced at the same time at some horrendous expense. It's not going to do any harm to clean the current set either with proprietary stuff, or the cheaper method of removing the fuel filter, emptying it and filling with transmission oil (non-synthetic). You can then add a few hundred mls every couple of fills, which serves as cleaner plus pump lubricant.

john

cymru
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:10
If these engines are driven gently through towm a lot and never driven over 3000 rpm they tend to soot up . The cure is a good drive with lots of full throttle accelleration up to the rev cut out in 2nd and 3rd gears you will find the smoke gets less and less with each burst of accelleration unti it is very reasonable or even non existant . It is a good idea to do this before the MOT as well . If this doesnt reduce the smoke then it is possible the injectors need attention if high mileage ..or perhaps the camshaft timing is out it needs a special plate to set it up if the cam pulley is ever removed .
a VERY restricted air filter may cause black smoke too ...

Thanks for all the info,
ive tried accelleration method and it doest clear, but its not as bad,
and no sooner i stop the car and start up again it starts again, what i was worried about it if i dont put my foot down for a few days is the amount of soot on the road if i put my foot down in 1 gear 2/3..

outnumbered
Oct 14th, 2007, 20:30
Black smoke is unburnt fuel i cant see how the oil can affect that whatever state it is in . The timing will always be correct as long as the Engine managment light is off , It is controled by the Engine Control Unit . Yes it can be checked with a Volvo scan tool , but thats just to get the basic position that the computer can work with .. it will advance and retard correctly from there . The Light will come on if the computer cant get the injection timing it needs due to adjustment parameters being out of tolerance ...

interesting comments all cars are different, quote the timing will always be correct as long as the eml is off, wrong, the timing as you no has to be in a set tolerence it can be out of tolerence even without the eml light on, this can cause black smoke. i did a members car which had these symptoms, the pump timing was way out no eml light on adjusted the belt and less smoke. i agree you have to work these engines but the system must be correct first or you will be all day thrashing the backside off it.
mike
850 tdi p box

cymru
Oct 14th, 2007, 21:10
interesting comments all cars are different, quote the timing will always be correct as long as the eml is off, wrong, the timing as you no has to be in a set tolerence it can be out of tolerence even without the eml light on, this can cause black smoke. i did a members car which had these symptoms, the pump timing was way out no eml light on adjusted the belt and less smoke. i agree you have to work these engines but the system must be correct first or you will be all day thrashing the backside off it.
mike
850 tdi p box

think what am going to do is filter kit,
and then take it from there,
to check the timing is it just a case of taking it to a garage that has the program for a volvo tdi and pluging the car in. or can it only be done by checking the timing marks..
thanks

outnumbered
Oct 14th, 2007, 21:42
think what am going to do is filter kit,
and then take it from there,
to check the timing is it just a case of taking it to a garage that has the program for a volvo tdi and pluging the car in. or can it only be done by checking the timing marks..
thanks

hi
it has to be done at a garage, with the engine running. i live in leeds bit too far for you, i would have done it for you foc.
mike

cymru
Oct 15th, 2007, 15:28
hi
it has to be done at a garage, with the engine running. i live in leeds bit too far for you, i would have done it for you foc.
mike

thanks for the offer mike.
i'll pop round a few garages this week,
cheers
steve

Chris_Rogers
Oct 23rd, 2007, 23:03

You seem to be suggesting that the timing can't be out if the MIL lamp is not on.
Practical experience shows this is not the case, typical senario is that the timing belts have been changed but dynamic timing has not been done due to lack of equipment or ability. Customer then complains of smoke & or poor performance there is no MIL lamp on.
Completing the dynamic timing cures the problem.
Note that the Volvo scan tool requires that to do the dynamic timing there must be no DTC's in the module, if the MIL lamp was on for a timing problem, and it will only be on if there are DTC's, then you could never put the timing right.

Cypher007
Oct 26th, 2007, 00:36
would Forte diesel injector cleaner be worth a shot?