PDA

View Full Version : D5 (D5244T to 2005) - Rattle Rattle Dam Rattle

pan1100
Oct 16th, 2007, 16:30
Had a rattle from the car and could not locate.It came from the front no the rear no it was from drivers side what a nightmare.Sounded like a light metallic knock.Replaced drop bars still the same,checked all exhaust and covers.
Just to let anyone know it was aftermarket front brakepads moving up and down fitted Volvo ones and cured.Once the fault was located you could hit the wheels and replicate the noise.Alan

niloc
Oct 16th, 2007, 16:34
Just to let anyone know it was aftermarket front brakepads moving up and down fitted Volvo ones and cured.
Herein lies the problem with pattern parts. They tend to follow a sifferent pattern than OEM!

Brake pad rattle can be diagnosed by the noise stopping when braking.

psq43
Oct 16th, 2007, 16:42
Could get set of Shims and bung them in if want to carry on using cheaper, but prb made in same factory, brake pads. Had Nissan Primera GT do exactly the same thing and whisle like a b*****d at high speed! Inserted set of shims, rattle gone!

shimon340
Oct 28th, 2007, 18:26
my dad had this on his C70 after an independent changed the front pads... volvo pads solved it

Im currently in the process of fitting "Drivemaster" rear pads to my 850. reusing the shims that were on the volvo pads.

no rattle.... :)

seems to depend which pads are used. shims and antirattle spring in the rears should keep things quiet.

was your noise from the front?

psq43
Jan 20th, 2010, 16:24
was your noise from the front?

...on my nissan yes, sounded really awful, like marbles in the wheels!