PDA

View Full Version : D19 - S40/V40 to 2004 - V40 Starting / Smoking

Trevw69
Nov 9th, 2007, 19:30
Hi,
I'm new to Volvos having only recently bought a 97 V40 1.9TD, 122K. On starting it does smoke a bit and does take a little time to turn over on these "colder" mornings. I have heard that it could be the glow plugs that may need changing ? does anyone know how often these should be changed, and is it easy ? - Also had a £350 bill today from Independant garage for 2 front shocks, washer motor & also found out I had a Diesel leak (I thought it was Oil) - Does £350 sound reasonable ? - Thanks all.

dralphs
Nov 15th, 2007, 13:33
Hi

don't know when they should be changed but if never been done i would change them anyway as not that expensive.

i have done glowplugs on a 440 diesel (similar engine) and my 2000 S40. Its not difficult just awkward and fiddly because at least one has no direct access. You will need a good deep 3/8 drive socket and a flexible drive would be useful. A magnetic pickup helps as well.
Take your engine & Chassis number to an independant supplier like GSF Car parts and buy 4 new plugs from them.
Also check your'e battery as i had starting problems even after changing the plugs and found i had a battery for a petrol car (too small capacity).

Where was/is the diesel leak from? it could be allowing air into the system which won't help your'e starting problems. Get it fixed asap.

Don't know about shocks but could be about right allowing an hour or so for each side labour + parts.

Dave

RoyMacDonald
Nov 15th, 2007, 22:11
Must depend on the car.....I've seen a Citroen BX that was still on it's original glow plugs at 309,000 miles. My 940 had a 165,000 miles on it's glow plugs when I sold it and still started fine.

Roy

Trevw69
Nov 18th, 2007, 20:04
Thanks, Have had the leak done now & has seem to have done the trick, I have read a few reports now on changing the glow plugs and it does appear to be a "bit tricky" also am thinking about getting a new battery anyway, can any one suggest a good make for the V40 diesel ? thanks.

dralphs
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:02
hi

can't recommend a make, just make sure its the correct heavy duty battery for a diesel and not one for a petrol S40. Also watch out when lifting it as its heavy.......

Glow plugs, helps to have small hands with long fingers else its a bent spanner one flat at a time

RoyMacDonald
Nov 19th, 2007, 23:34
Thanks, Have had the leak done now & has seem to have done the trick, I have read a few reports now on changing the glow plugs and it does appear to be a "bit tricky" also am thinking about getting a new battery anyway, can any one suggest a good make for the V40 diesel ? thanks.

I've used Halfords (The best quality ones) for a couple of replacement batteries. Never had to buy more than one per car. I'd guess they last about 8 years on the use I give them.

Roys