PDA

View Full Version : General - S80 D5 Cambelt Snapped 2004 Vehicle

sjc123456789
Nov 12th, 2007, 13:06
just collected my Volvo s80 d5 (2004), bought private as a replacement for my 2003 S60 D5 (just wanted something bigger).
30 miles into the journey home and the recently replaced (2 weeks ago) cam belt snapped. Recovered 120 miles home, got Volvo technical out to confirm -
problem was cased with cam belt or tensioner. Tensioner has been ripped from the block damaging block casing.

Looked a good car for first 30 miles - anybody know where i can get a good second hand engine?

thanks Simon (West Yorkshire)

PatBateman
Nov 12th, 2007, 13:42
Jeez. I can't help with the replacement engine, but just want to offer my condolences. :(

Any comeback from the seller? Or the place that replaced the cambelt?

sjc123456789
Nov 12th, 2007, 14:08
No come back yet, chap who i bought it off drove 120 miles to meet me - pretty sure he didn't know about problem.
I suspect the garage who fitted cam belt over tightened the bolt on the cam belt tensioner and this caused failure. I'll have to get my solicitor to contact him, this will cost me but not sure it'll get anywhere.

Positive side is -

i was driving, not my wife with 2 kids in car.
i was in the fast lane of the motorway when it happened and nobody hit me - could of caused quite a pile up as motorway was busy.

flip side is ~£2500 potential bill for secondhand replacement engine fitting (job done).

S.

JIM C
Nov 12th, 2007, 14:27
Best of luck. Hope you get it sorted without to my hassle.

jor
Nov 12th, 2007, 14:40
There's an S80 2.4 on a well known auction site said to be from a 36k write off for £1500 plus 60 transport. Worth checking anyway.

john

PatBateman
Nov 12th, 2007, 16:55
Is it worth maybe just getting an independent report from a mechanic, suggesting maybe a reason why the belt failed? Then taking this to the company that changed it? Then, if you have no luck, try other avenues?

Bernard333
Nov 16th, 2007, 13:54
I am horrified to read about this cambelt problem ( I joined today to try to find out how to get a replacement key following a link on ebay warning me not buy key fob software - dont need it now as the key turned up ) but have now become obsessed with this website and everything that can go wrong , its fascinating . I have had a V70 D5 since new in Dec 2003 and covered 113k , had it serviced twice by Volvo dealer and then by an indipendant as I dont like paying £383 every time it needs an oil change . It still averages 50mpg and can get 75mpg on my weekly 500 single round trip when on the motorway ( have managed 80mpg on some Liverpool to London runs but you need to do that in the middle of the night when theres no traffic ) , anyway about the cam belt I suppose I should think about changing it . I havnt done it before now as the 113k has been clocked up on the motorway mainly at a steady 1800rpm , wouldnt it be better to change the cam belt based on hours run like they do with tractors rather than mileage because I reckon that my 113k motorway miles done up the M6 and M74 equates to
60k miles done on the M25 and M1 in terms engine wear and hours run ? Should I buy original Volvo cam belt kit or is it ok to use patent kit ? Only other problems have had so far are to replace the battery ( my own fault for constantly leaving the side lights switched on ) and a rear wheel bearing which I soldiered on with for 30k miles until the noise go too much ( probably just caught it before it completely disintegrated ) should have done it earlier as job was easy costing £85.

Mr-V70
Nov 16th, 2007, 15:26
I am horrified to read about this cambelt problem ( I joined today to try to find out how to get a replacement key following a link on ebay warning me not buy key fob software - dont need it now as the key turned up ) but have now become obsessed with this website and everything that can go wrong , its fascinating . I have had a V70 D5 since new in Dec 2003 and covered 113k , had it serviced twice by Volvo dealer and then by an indipendant as I dont like paying £383 every time it needs an oil change . It still averages 50mpg and can get 75mpg on my weekly 500 single round trip when on the motorway ( have managed 80mpg on some Liverpool to London runs but you need to do that in the middle of the night when theres no traffic ) , anyway about the cam belt I suppose I should think about changing it . I havnt done it before now as the 113k has been clocked up on the motorway mainly at a steady 1800rpm , wouldnt it be better to change the cam belt based on hours run like they do with tractors rather than mileage because I reckon that my 113k motorway miles done up the M6 and M74 equates to
60k miles done on the M25 and M1 in terms engine wear and hours run ? Should I buy original Volvo cam belt kit or is it ok to use patent kit ? Only other problems have had so far are to replace the battery ( my own fault for constantly leaving the side lights switched on ) and a rear wheel bearing which I soldiered on with for 30k miles until the noise go too much ( probably just caught it before it completely disintegrated ) should have done it earlier as job was easy costing £85.

In my opinion its not worth taking the risk with a cambelt. If I remember rightly the interval is 90,000 miles, and there is some debate as to whether thats too long......... I have just had my belt done, its a simple job on a D5, should cost no more than about £200 (and most of that is for the parts) and then you wont have to worry about it snapping and causing serious damage.

Just my opinion, but for something as fundemental as a cambelt on an interferance engine I would use Volvo parts only.

S

4 forty
Nov 16th, 2007, 15:36
i would use a genuine volvo belt and tensioner,as apposed to an other make, after all there is only a couple of pounds difference for a critical part.
i paid an independant garage £145 inclusive of genuine volvo parts.

paul

scottishvolvo
Nov 16th, 2007, 15:40
Independant near to me would take £120 last time I asked for a 02 S60 D5.

Bernard333
Nov 16th, 2007, 17:14
Thanks for advice and on balance I dont want my engine to suffer the fate described by Simon , have contacted Dunlop Motor factors Glasgow and they quoted £95 for full kit so will get this done urgently .

scottishvolvo
Nov 16th, 2007, 17:32
The independant I priced it from was Volvomax in Glasgow.

Nov 17th, 2007, 22:36
What about this one,but its not cheap
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-D5-Engine_W0QQitemZ110193019002QQihZ001QQcategoryZ104 32QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

davebslater(uk)
Nov 17th, 2007, 22:40
is that the one for 2 grand on ebay ?

when youve finished with it , can i have first dibs on the scrap value of the block and head ?

Nov 17th, 2007, 22:45
is that the one for 2 grand on ebay ?

when youve finished with it , can i have first dibs on the scrap value of the block and head ?

Yup, Click the link.

GSMGuy
Nov 17th, 2007, 23:00
Surely the garage that carried out the belt change must be liable? Especially after so short a time/mileage interval - \i would be straight for the jugular in this case, he who dares wins and all that.

\mike

sjc123456789
Nov 20th, 2007, 21:35
just been taking some "informal" at the moment legal advice.
Looks like the garage that changed it are liable, just a question of limiting my costs. Engineer's report is going to be £140 plus vat!
Didn't want to stump that up as it's quite obvious, what's happened as there's part of the block broken!.

I've some pictures if anyones interested? if i knew how i would post on here.

Will let you know how i get on.

p.s. the S60 D5 is superb still, cam belt was due for a change at 96k but i changed when i bought at 72k

YOU CANT BE TOO CAREFUL!

think genuine Volvo bits were about £130 inc for Cam belt, tensioner and aux belt.

S.

MATHIUS
Nov 20th, 2007, 21:52
Hi S,

Sorry to hear about your car. Someone i know had his D5 go bang, Turned out that the aux belt tensioner seized and broke the belt sending everything into the cambelt!
Volvo admitted that there is a fault with some of the aux tensioners on the D5's. Get this checked out as well.
Volvo uk paid half of his bill! ....... Goodluck!

Matt.

jor
Nov 20th, 2007, 22:08
To post pics go to the bottom of the page and select the 'manage attachments' box, having previously saved the snaps of the knackered motor to your pictures folder. Then search to the pictures location and upload. There's a size limit to individual snaps which is about 360 kb, but windows power tools has a compression utility if required.
Thanks for the update, it's really annoying to follow a thread that disappears.
Fingers crossed that you get it fixed, it would be better to have one set of people responsible for the mayhem!

john