PDA

View Full Version : D5 (D5244T to 2005) - D5 Guru required

B7TRR
Dec 10th, 2007, 16:12
Hello Volvo friends

My S60 D5 SE is ill!, the car is an 04 D5 SE auto and when it first starts is lumpy and smokey, I'm pretty sure its not the injectors as I had it compression tested with the following results: No1 360psi, No2 340psi, No3 300psi No4360psi & No5 250psi. Are valves a common fault or can the injectors cause the lack of compression, the car has 110k.

Any help will be much appriciated before I have the head removed or shoot it!

Regards

B7TRR (Barry)

JIM C
Dec 10th, 2007, 16:17
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Best of luck with your technical question.

S60-MBS
Dec 10th, 2007, 16:26
Hi Barry i would start by looking for leaks in the charge air system,ie the intercooler pipes in front of engine..when leaking or blocked cause heavy smoking..you can remove the pipes for cleaning and inspection..a very simple task to do..also look for oil stains on the bottom of radiator which is visible through front bumper this where present is a sign of a split intercooler a common fault of the D5..your injectors maybe ok but do check the fuel rails too as they tend to develop faults too ,obvious signs would be deisel stains on top of engine..try the below procedure it may help..
regards
Mo

http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=372

B7TRR
Dec 10th, 2007, 16:29
Hi Barry i would start by looking for leaks in the charge air system,ie the intercooler pipes in front of engine..when leaking or blocked cause heavy smoking..you can remove the pipes for cleaning and inspection..a very simple task to do..also look for oil stains on the bottom of radiator which is visible through front bumper this where present is a sign of a split intercooler a common fault of the D5..your injectors maybe ok but do check the fuel rails too as they tend to develop faults too ,obvious signs would be deisel stains on top of engine..try the below procedure it may help..
regards
Mo

http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=372

Hello Mo, could this affect the compression as well then?

S60-MBS
Dec 10th, 2007, 16:35
possibly i am not too sure but i know it will definitly hinder your cars breathing.. from the symptoms you describe it sounds as if car breathing it the issue ..an air leak can cause over fuelling hence the black smoke..there is a explanation for this somewhere in the S60 forum..i would try the easier and simple fixes before attemting to spend any more money on removing head to investigate further ..the D5 is a fairly tough engine i cant imagine it would develop compression issues so early in its life (110k)..does it run ok when warmed up?

B7TRR
Dec 10th, 2007, 16:39
possibly i am not too sure but i know it will definitly hinder your cars breathing.. from the symptoms you describe it sounds as if car breathing it the issue ..an air leak can cause over fuelling hence the black smoke..there is a explanation for this somewhere in the S60 forum..i would try the easier and simple fixes before attemting to spend any more money on removing head to investigate further ..the D5 is a fairly tough engine i cant imagine it would develop compression issues so early in its life (110k)..does it run ok when warmed up?

Mo, Yes the seems fine when its warm, although if I rev it hard in park when warm I get blue smoke over 3.5 rpm

S60-MBS
Dec 10th, 2007, 16:42
Blue smoke says oil to me..is it using oil ?...have you checked the intercooler pipes at front of engine and do the bulge ok when car is revved up?

B7TRR
Dec 10th, 2007, 16:49
Blue smoke says oil to me..is it using oil ?...have you checked the intercooler pipes at front of engine and do the bulge ok when car is revved up?

Not as yet but I shall check the intercooler pipes and let you know, not sure if it burning alot of oil as I've not had the car long enough!

S60-MBS
Dec 10th, 2007, 16:55
Just going back to your initial post Barry your cars 04 ..the model year D5 shouldnt have any issues as it had the upgraded injectors..as i said before check first and try the simple solutions before parting with your hard earned..my for wee while showed similar symptoms but after the plenum clean and intercooler replacement i've yet to see it smoke heavy even very high revs..powers up abit to normal levels..

GMcL
Dec 10th, 2007, 17:19
Looking at the pressure test on the individual injectors number five is a good 30% less than 1,2 & 4. No.3 also looks to be on the way out.
I think it was Mo who documented how to check the individual injectors by uncliping and testing return flow rate.

T_Rifles
Dec 10th, 2007, 20:50
I am guessing that the compression test is done using the injector hole therefore removing the quality of the injector from the test. The low compression on one cylinder will probably make it not fire on that one until warmed up becuase the pressure is not enough to cause ignition.

Compression loss could be valves, piston rings or con rod problems or i guess cylinder head gasket leaks. How is the oil/water?

Did the person testing the compression offer some suggestions?

Paul Clifton
Dec 10th, 2007, 20:56
Have you considered one or more faulty glow plugs would cause this sort of problem?

Paul.

B7TRR
Dec 10th, 2007, 21:11
Just going back to your initial post Barry your cars 04 ..the model year D5 shouldnt have any issues as it had the upgraded injectors..as i said before check first and try the simple solutions before parting with your hard earned..my for wee while showed similar symptoms but after the plenum clean and intercooler replacement i've yet to see it smoke heavy even very high revs..powers up abit to normal levels..

Hello Mo, I've had a chance to take the plenum mixer hose off and it is in exactly the same condition as show in the various pictures, covered in carbon and oil deposits so I shall do a thorough clean and report the results! thanks for the link, very useful!!

Regards Barry

S60-MBS
Dec 10th, 2007, 21:13
Have you considered one or more faulty glow plugs would cause this sort of problem?

Paul.

Barry the above post by Paul has hit an important issue which i neglected to think about earlier where the glow plugs also tested?

B7TRR
Dec 10th, 2007, 21:34
I am guessing that the compression test is done using the injector hole therefore removing the quality of the injector from the test. The low compression on one cylinder will probably make it not fire on that one until warmed up becuase the pressure is not enough to cause ignition.

Compression loss could be valves, piston rings or con rod problems or i guess cylinder head gasket leaks. How is the oil/water?

Did the person testing the compression offer some suggestions?

The person who did the test informed me that he made up a tool so he could use the heater plug hole to get the readings! but he did mention valves, con rods ect. Mo posted a link regarding the plenum mixer and intercooler blockages and after taking one hose off I can see a large build off oily deposits.

The loss of commpression is a cause off concern though, if the car is breathing vary badly could it affect the compression through vacume?

B7TRR
Dec 12th, 2007, 19:15
Hi Mo, we've cleaned the cr*p out of the plenum mixer as discribed and plenty of gunk was removed! flushed the engine and given it an oil & filter change.
It seems to have stopped smoking and is running well, waiting to see how it starts in the morning.
Thanks for the advice.
Barry

bsparky
Dec 14th, 2007, 20:37
the compression figures you have would point to the eng being worn out or a massive restriction to low cylinders as a guide rule below 400 psi is well worn.

regards bsparky