PDA

View Full Version : D4204T - 2.0D Timing belt change intervals

Marmoset
Dec 11th, 2007, 16:25
Hi

Just got over 65k on my V50 now and looking at VADIS there is a belt change detailed at 144k mile on the service schedule but lots of differing opinions as to what it should be. My last Mondeo had a 100k belt change and was fine (but I was nervous when approaching the magic mark) but I can't believe that one should last as long as 144k.

Any answers appreciated, any idea of the book time for such a job - not looking forward to the prices for this one, even at an indy (do my own oil changes 'cos the indies dont; seem much cheaper than the stealers)

cheers

Rich

Alec Dawe
Dec 11th, 2007, 17:21
According to my service sheet, for my '05 (march) registered S40 2.0D, the cambelt change is at 72000 miles.
Dealer quote was about £1000 for the 72K service and belt change.

I will either be going to my local indi, or to a Ford dealership, as the Focus and C-max use the identical engine.

Just had a quote from our local, village Ford dealers, of £294-53, supply and fit cam belt.

Paul Clifton
Dec 11th, 2007, 21:04
Have to disagree Alec, Cam belt, aux belts and tensioner New s40/v50 is 144k or 10years.
The 72k is expensive if you have euro 4 diesel as the particle filter (soot filter in exhaust) has to bee changed (circa £400 I think) and addative tank topped up + the rest of the service and addative tank re-set on Vida.

Paul.

Marmoset
Dec 11th, 2007, 22:41
LOL - two different answers - I just thought it was my copy of VADIS that was incorrect pc654. 144k is a looong time for a belt - guess I can do an experiment on the thing, do you think Volvo would warranty it if it failed earlier :D

RoyMacDonald
Dec 11th, 2007, 23:02
LOL - two different answers - I just thought it was my copy of VADIS that was incorrect pc654. 144k is a looong time for a belt - guess I can do an experiment on the thing, do you think Volvo would warranty it if it failed earlier :D

I read somewhere that Volvo had been working on extending the cambelt life for Ford, I think, and had developed longer lasting cam belts.

Roy

Paul Clifton
Dec 13th, 2007, 22:48
If the car has been serviced at a dealer at the correct intervals and the belt were to 'let go' before the change period I would think Volvo would look at the case very favorably.
They had problems with certain chassis range D5 cambelt tensioners malfunctioning destroying the engines. In these cases full repairs were/are done FOC, these were/are warranted to 100k (1st belt change 96k).

Paul.

Griffsters
Jan 8th, 2008, 18:56
I have a 2004 54 plate S40 2.0 D SE with 68k on it. I'm finding all this a bit confusing!! My service book states 72k for a cambelt but VADIS states 144k... My dealer said today that they have exteded periods but wasnt sure of the exact period without looking it up... and was adamant that it wasnt due at 72k.

A quick check of the C-Max 2.0 TDCI unit (same engine?) these are also 144k changes so it all points to extended intervals almost to the point of the cars lifetime unless its a motorway mile muncher.

Is the manual wrong? Or were the extended life belts only used after 2005MY?

RoyMacDonald
Jan 8th, 2008, 21:09
I have a 2004 54 plate S40 2.0 D SE with 68k on it. I'm finding all this a bit confusing!! My service book states 72k for a cambelt but VADIS states 144k... My dealer said today that they have exteded periods but wasnt sure of the exact period without looking it up... and was adamant that it wasnt due at 72k.

A quick check of the C-Max 2.0 TDCI unit (same engine?) these are also 144k changes so it all points to extended intervals almost to the point of the cars lifetime unless its a motorway mile muncher.

Is the manual wrong? Or were the extended life belts only used after 2005MY?

You need to take a look at an original service sheet (the sheet of paper that has all the little ticked boxes on) for a 2004 S40 and see what the recommended interval is. That will be the interval for the belt you have on at the moment. Volvo update the sheets to suit the current version so make sure it has the correct date on it.

The info on the belt life I saw was fairly recent so I would expect your belt to not be quite as long as the current ones. On my XC90 the belt life has changed from 8 years to 10 years but still with a 96,000 mile limit in both cases. I'd err on the side of caution and change early if in doubt, but it only cost about a £100 to change the belt (and tensioner) on an XC90.

Roy

P.S. I'd stick with the original info if that's what you have. It's no use looking at the latest info because it won't relate to your engine and components.

Griffsters
Jan 8th, 2008, 21:42
The access to VADIS I have categorically states 144k or 10 years MAX for 2004/5 S40 and V50 2.0D engines. It just contradicts what is written in my service book :(

I think i'll put it to the dealer what will happen if the cambelt goes at say 75k and take it from there.. even if 144K is correct i'll factor in a change around 85 / 90k miles anyway I think. Cheers for the response.

Griffsters
Jan 9th, 2008, 08:19
I had a quick look at the service book again last night and think I know where the confusion has come from. In the book it states auxiliary belt change for diesel S/V40 at 72k under additional work. The key part is 'V40' - I believe this info relates to the older classic models and is somewhat misleading in the new shape service book.

I'll be leaving mine and just making sure I keep up with service schedules should the worst happen

steviestdi
Jan 12th, 2008, 18:49
classic s40/v40 diesels have cam belts done at 72000m.
New s40/v50 diesel 144000m.
Paul Clifton is right the 72000 is expensive because of the additive tank and particulte filter as well as fuel, air, pollen and oil filters.