PDA

View Full Version : D5 (D5244T to 2005) - Oil leak around front of car

oilburner
Dec 20th, 2007, 12:59
OK, this one is a bit odd. The front of the car is getting plastered in black muck. I'm pretty sure it's oil rather than normal road grime, because it's blacker than black compared to everyone else's cars, they all look brown from the road salt, rather than jet black like mine.

Where could it be coming from?

I've looked under the bonnet and can see no oil leaks, but the lower grille has black wet spots all over it. The rest of the car is dry, but *very* mucky, even though it was cleaned less than a week ago. It seems to take about 3-4 days after cleaning for the black muck to re-appear.

I'm guessing the action of the airflow is spreading the oil all over the place, but I don't understand where it is leaking from.. :(

I'm also finding the engine idle is very rough, especially in Neutral.

It's a 2005 D5 auto with 29k miles on it.

Any ideas as to the source of the problem would be much appreciated, then I can book it in to the dealers with some idea of where to point them!

JIM C
Dec 20th, 2007, 13:04
Sounds as if it could be the intercooler or one of the pipes.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=47702&highlight=intercooler

oilburner
Dec 20th, 2007, 13:09
Thanks Jim, could be. I've heard of possible intercooler problems, but on such a low mileage car?

I'm not going to ask the question on how to check the intercooler, the last thread on that turned into war and peace!!

Should it be obvious which pipe it might be leaking from?

S60-MBS
Dec 20th, 2007, 13:32
Pete is the bottom of Radiator covered in oil too?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23511&highlight=oil+stains

oilburner
Dec 20th, 2007, 14:35
To be honest, I can't really tell. The radiator is so dirty and covered with bugs and leaves it just looks messy anyway.

On your pictures there, I couldn't see the oil on yours - so maybe I'm just not seeing it! :)

S60-MBS
Dec 20th, 2007, 14:42
Theres defo oil there on my pics Pete hence why i panicked when i noticed it..after a good clean up it only returned after a good fast drive..turned our the intercooler was split at the bottom,i tiny split but it did cause a few smoking problems..
regards
Mo

oilburner
Dec 20th, 2007, 15:28
Just goes to show what a useless mechanic I would make, I cant see the woods for the trees! :)

Don't have any smoking problems with mine though, or at least not that I've noticed...with the auto-dimming mirror it could be hard to tell!

CTCNetwork
Dec 26th, 2007, 16:36
Hi,

Would it be silly to suggest that the area concerned is given a good clean up and you should then be able to see where you are losing your oil from..

Des. . . ;)

Dec 27th, 2007, 11:21
Don't have any smoking problems with mine though, or at least not that I've noticed...

Sounds like you have the same problem as me, rough idle & oil but no smoke. My local volvo mechanic told me that the intercooler was made with a small hole (oil drain) in it so you would get some natural oil leaking. Don't know why it would be made like this. But others have said there is no hole. I have no idea myself and am totally confused & it gets to me as it is messy, it has been like this for 7 months now & it is not from the engine as it is the tray under the bumper that gets stained or drips.