PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - Coolant leaking into car

Singing Bird
Dec 23rd, 2007, 16:19
My 1996 240 TDi leaks collant onto the drivers side floor when put the heat setting is put onto hot, anyone know what is causing this? It's fine when the heater is left in the cold position. It does not have air con!

Love SB x

CTCNetwork
Dec 23rd, 2007, 17:35
Hi,

If it is coolant, the only way for that to get into the car is via the heater matrix or one of the feed pips to the matrix..

Most likely is the matrix is going or on it's way out..

Des. . . ;)

Singing Bird
Dec 24th, 2007, 12:12
Thank you for taking the time to reply:)

craig8661
Dec 25th, 2007, 11:41
my 940 td had simla fault to yours it was leaking where the pipes are bolted to the rad inside not recomended but due to weather i used rad weld to seal it temp too weather inproves

CTCNetwork
Dec 25th, 2007, 12:19
Hi,
my 940 td had simla fault to yours it was leaking where the pipes are bolted to the rad inside not recomended but due to weather i used rad weld to seal it temp too weather inproves
Very much a temp fix as the matrix is a very fine item - very narrow waterways etc and radweld can actually "fix" them by sealing the waterways up!!
Certainly a good temp fix if you know you are going to replace the matrix and fit new seals etc...

Des. . . ;)

craig8661
Dec 25th, 2007, 12:41
lol my fix will be replacing the whole care next year when the engine has been recon want a low milage shell to replace mine with

Singing Bird
Dec 25th, 2007, 14:11
Have my 109,000 mile example for only £1000 if purchased after 6pm today or £100 if purchased before 6pm today. A great car in a great place.

RoyMacDonald
Dec 25th, 2007, 23:06
My 1996 240 TDi leaks collant onto the drivers side floor when put the heat setting is put onto hot, anyone know what is causing this? It's fine when the heater is left in the cold position. It does not have air con!

Love SB x

I had this at about 97,000 miles, and I think it was the control valve thing for the heater. Sorry I can't remember what it's called. I was told by the main dealer that it's a very common fault with the 940. It happened about 12 years ago though so I'm a bit vague about the details. It wasn't a very big job to fix anyway.

Roy

Paul Clifton
Dec 26th, 2007, 15:56
Yes Roy is correct the most comon point for leaks into the driver's footwell is the heater valve. It is mounted on the firewall just above and to the left of the pedals (RHD car). From the symptoms (only leaks when turned on) I would suspect the valve first rather than the matrix.

Paul.

Singing Bird
Dec 26th, 2007, 18:20
Thanks lads:party009: I shall have that valve looked at first! It sounds like that is the fella that is causing me leak.

SB x

DLM48
Dec 26th, 2007, 18:45
I had this at about 97,000 miles, and I think it was the control valve thing for the heater. Sorry I can't remember what it's called. I was told by the main dealer that it's a very common fault with the 940. It happened about 12 years ago though so I'm a bit vague about the details. It wasn't a very big job to fix anyway.

Roy

i thought there was no water control valve on these heaters and temperature control was all done by air mixing flap valves - is this just an ON or OFF valve?

thanks

regards

Paul Clifton
Dec 27th, 2007, 19:35
They have all got 'em. Different between a/c and non a/c.

Paul.

tinatwinkle
Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:44
Same problem a few years back.
Most likely to be the Radiator valve (plastic construction)
The central plastic spindle wears as it opens and shuts
allowing fluid through the sealing faces.

Antifreeze makes a mess of the carpets and difficult to clean!

Try replacing the plastic valve. Relatively inexpensive if I recall.

good luck!

jor
Jan 3rd, 2008, 19:30
Await details of your project with interest Craig. Make sure you get the piston clearance measured - as you know the gasket is steel and is comprised of three parts, but one or two can be taken off depending on the measurements so you get optimum compression (d24 list will give you the measurements)

john

Paul H and D
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:05
Just been told there about £50.00 at the dealers 05/10/08 D24TIC non A/C. (Not very Expensive) Huh!
Am I being tight or is somebody on better money than me? :)

craig8661
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:45
Just been told there about £50.00 at the dealers 05/10/08 D24TIC non A/C. (Not very Expensive) Huh!
Am I being tight or is somebody on better money than me? :)

your not being tight i see £50 a lot of cash for a valve i dont even dare to price the matrix up for mine they wanted £50 + vat for the botem hose when the fan ate it i got one from local scrap yard for £5 lol my volvo is now of the road awaiting a bit of warmer weather then the work will start im going to use my shell engine and box and rear dif then going to have it compleetly respayed engine rebuilt and hope to have it for a few years longer