PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - where do i buy gaskets for my engine

craig8661
Dec 30th, 2007, 17:50
its a 1995 dtic do i go to vw volvo or audi lol need new gaskets on the inlet side as its blown one big time now the car is slugish and hisses like made with foot down it had orig blown the join on top of the engine but fixed that one no holes in intercooler or hoses so goto be a inlet seal any help would be brill

RoyMacDonald
Dec 30th, 2007, 19:13
its a 1995 dtic do i go to vw volvo or audi lol need new gaskets on the inlet side as its blown one big time now the car is slugish and hisses like made with foot down it had orig blown the join on top of the engine but fixed that one no holes in intercooler or hoses so goto be a inlet seal any help would be brill

Volvo or one of the various indi Volvo parts suppliers.

As far as I know the engine was only manufactured for Volvo's cars and vans, and VW/Audi didn't use it themselves, but if they did you can be sure there would be some differences, so play it safe and stick to parts with a Volvo part no.

Roy

Paul H and D
Dec 30th, 2007, 21:28
Volvo or one of the various indi Volvo parts suppliers.

As far as I know the engine was only manufactured for Volvo's cars and vans, and VW/Audi didn't use it themselves, but if they did you can be sure there would be some differences, so play it safe and stick to parts with a Volvo part no.

Roy

Originally used in the square Audi 100 (before the slippery aerodynamic one) poss late 70's early 80's.
Or the VW LT28 & LT31 van. Not sure if these will have Hydraulic Tappetts Or be Turboed.

RoyMacDonald
Dec 31st, 2007, 02:39
Originally used in the square Audi 100 (before the slippery aerodynamic one) poss late 70's early 80's.
Or the VW LT28 & LT31 van. Not sure if these will have Hydraulic Tappetts Or be Turboed.

The Audi 100 had a 5 cylider engine. I don't think the 6 cylider 940 engine would go in if you look at the photo of an Audi 100.

Roy

The Volvo engine is a modified Golf engine so it can't have been fitted in a car before 1985.

jpliddy
Dec 31st, 2007, 17:36
for these parts use volvo they cost more. but last longer and will fit right its vw there parts are cheaper but they dont have the volvo part no. if the parts guy knows his stuff your o k. gsf stock some of these parts and are genuine . but some are not as good so you have to know what your after.again stick with volvo
regards
james liddy

Paul H and D
Jan 1st, 2008, 15:17
The Audi 100 had a 5 cylider engine. I don't think the 6 cylider 940 engine would go in if you look at the photo of an Audi 100.

Roy

The Volvo engine is a modified Golf engine so it can't have been fitted in a car before 1985.

Pre the 5 cylinders & squarer not so aerodynamic (Even older) with Longer bonnets presumably :) had six's.

Never saw under the bonnet But presumed it was inline FWD being Audi. Can't imagine it would go transverse! :)

I had an A reg (83-84 if memory serves me right) LT 28 Van with the VAG 6.

Are you sure the later Audi & golf's are not cut down re-worked 6's?

Regards Paul.

RoyMacDonald
Jan 2nd, 2008, 00:58
Pre the 5 cylinders & squarer not so aerodynamic (Even older) with Longer bonnets presumably :) had six's.

Never saw under the bonnet But presumed it was inline FWD being Audi. Can't imagine it would go transverse! :)

Regards Paul.

Yes it was the other way round according to Volvo. Volvo asked Audi/VW for a six cylinder diesel and they took the Golf engine design and added another 2 cylinders. that's why it's the cc it is. The first year Volvo used it was 1981 as far as I can find out, not in this country though.

Looking at spare parts the first use in a VW van I can trace is 1986, but it could have been 1984 with differences that make it not worth making parts for now. I suspect it may be that VAG had a 6 but it they needed better emissions to suit Volvo and that meant a new engine.

On the old Audi 100 as far as I can find out it always had a four or five cylinder engine even the petrol. That's why I think it wouldn't go in. All the photos of the old model that I've seen show that a five cylinder engine completly fills the engine bay.

Roy

DLM48
Jan 2nd, 2008, 15:25
i would try these people

http://www.vwenginerecon.co.uk/index.htm

regards

RoyMacDonald
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:53

Regards Paul.

I found an old Diesel Car mag road test from 1988 for the Audi 100 TD and it had a 1986 cc 87 bhp 4 cylinder engine. How times move on.

Roy

craig8661
Jan 4th, 2008, 22:09
i would try these people

http://www.vwenginerecon.co.uk/index.htm

regards

i will email the company you sent a link for and see what they say if they give a good price then i will drop the engine out and have it recon dont think it needs to much as it runs well with plenty of power lol

DLM48
Jan 6th, 2008, 18:01
i will email the company you sent a link for and see what they say if they give a good price then i will drop the engine out and have it recon dont think it needs to much as it runs well with plenty of power lol

well they do complete recon engines though their recon cyl head is rather expensive

regards

RoyMacDonald
Jan 6th, 2008, 20:46

Why not just get the head done if it needs it? The bottom end should be fine, you did say it was only the gasket, so why spend loads of money if you don't need to.

Roy

craig8661
Jan 6th, 2008, 20:53
head gasket is fine its the inlet manifold with the leak only main issue with the engine is the hydrolic tappets thats it i think does any one kno where i can get them and are they easy to do

DLM48
Jan 6th, 2008, 21:38
head gasket is fine its the inlet manifold with the leak only main issue with the engine is the hydrolic tappets thats it i think does any one kno where i can get them and are they easy to do

check that link i posted for all things VW/Volvo/D25T(ic)

regards

RoyMacDonald
Jan 7th, 2008, 00:08

What makes you think the hydraulic tappets are an issue?

Roy

craig8661
Jan 8th, 2008, 13:04
when first started sounds like some one is operating the valves with a hammer then after a good run engine is very quite lol

RoyMacDonald
Jan 8th, 2008, 16:23
when first started sounds like some one is operating the valves with a hammer then after a good run engine is very quite lol

This is perfectly normal for that engine. To quote Diesel Car mag....It sounds like a dozen blacksmiths armed with hammmers trying to break their way out of the engine.
It's the noisiest diesel ever made.

Roy

P.S. My wife complained every cold start for 15 years!!

craig8661
Jan 8th, 2008, 16:38
This is perfectly normal for that engine. To quote Diesel Car mag....
It's the noisiest diesel ever made.

Roy

P.S. My wife complained every cold start for 15 years!!

pmsl well no wonder the horses dont mind it speaking of that quote its very true