PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - Other engines

DLM48
Jan 1st, 2008, 15:19
since the D24T(ic) comes out of the LT35 i see that the LT35 comes with a 3 litre engine does any one know what engine this is and is it a drop in replacement i also know that a few LT35's have had a Ford Transit engines and boxes fitted too so would this engine also fit just wondering if there is an easy way to fit a more powerful more modern TD in the 940?

Paul H and D
Jan 1st, 2008, 16:08
Unfamiliar with later VW LT's But some MANS look the same (LT40 perhaps) Get a bit bigger & they can look like overgrown VW LT's. Does it come from MAN perhaps?
Worked on a MAN chassis cab/horsebox conversion with my brother who said "Lovely lorry goes like stink". Might of been an even bigger 8 though. :)
Quiet fancy BMW 6 in one. (Omega's TD5's)
Probably be a bit of an ECU nightmare! But then My Dad's the Electrician :)
No I couldn't do that to him in his retirement.
Regards Paul.

Paul H and D
Jan 1st, 2008, 16:15
I understand people have put T5 Lumps in 940's so Surely it must be possible to put an 850 TDI lump in. Lot of work presumably though.
Regards Paul.

jor
Jan 1st, 2008, 23:02
The LT changed engines from the d24 sometime in the early 90's so the later ones won't fit. The Yanks are quite keen on the d24T however as it is robust and apparently can be tuned quite a bit. There are quite a few posts here about increasing power, Peter M. gets approx. 180 bhp AFAIK having had his pump adjusted and extra could be got by ditching the cat and making sure the right gasket thickness is used for optimum compression. Someone has tried ditching the filter and fitting an induction kit and when I find out who it was I must ask him to give a report.

john

tfb
Jan 1st, 2008, 23:37
hmmm....180BHP, now that sounds interesting :)

http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/ has quite a lot of info on tuning the VW 4cyl engine, some of that info may be of use

Regards

TFB

DLM48
Jan 2nd, 2008, 15:43
Quiet fancy BMW 6 in one. (Omega's TD5's)
Probably be a bit of an ECU nightmare! But then My Dad's the Electrician :)
No I couldn't do that to him in his retirement.
Regards Paul.

yes you could and when he has it all worked out tell us all about it :)

irish940d24
Dec 25th, 2015, 00:36
I understand people have put T5 Lumps in 940's so Surely it must be possible to put an 850 TDI lump in. Lot of work presumably though.
Regards Paul.

The 850 TDI lump bolts straight up to the same gearboxes as the d24 and apparently not a hard conversion apart from the fact that your stuck with the TDI pump unless you make a kinda hybrid Bosch 5cylinder pump.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kulmamies/940%20tdi/Valmiskonehuone001.jpg

rwdkev
Dec 25th, 2015, 13:15
since the D24T(ic) comes out of the LT35 i see that the LT35 comes with a 3 litre engine does any one know what engine this is and is it a drop in replacement i also know that a few LT35's have had a Ford Transit engines and boxes fitted too so would this engine also fit just wondering if there is an easy way to fit a more powerful more modern TD in the 940?

See "Diesel transmission compatibility" thread currently running on 700/900 forum

rwdkev
Dec 25th, 2015, 13:31
The 850 TDI lump bolts straight up to the same gearboxes as the d24 and apparently not a hard conversion apart from the fact that your stuck with the TDI pump unless you make a kinda hybrid Bosch 5cylinder pump.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kulmamies/940%20tdi/Valmiskonehuone001.jpg

Audi 2.5 TDI straight-5, like BMW 2.5 (also used in Range Rover P38) is electronic so makes conversion a bit more involved.

martin_r_smith
Dec 27th, 2015, 12:43
The 2.5 5cylinder is very tuneable too. I have peaked my current setup at 240bhp but i have it turned down to 200bhp for everyday use, that's with 340ft/lb too.