PDA

View Full Version : D5 (D5244T to 2005) - Wrong Fuel

henryp
Jan 17th, 2008, 06:13
Any tips on emptying 20 litres of unleaded from D5 estate fuel tank? Is there a drain plug? I have 52 plate D5 SE. Of coarse not believing I had put wrong fuel in I did do a mile of stop start driving. Many thanks.

RoyMacDonald
Jan 17th, 2008, 14:07
Any tips on emptying 20 litres of unleaded from D5 estate fuel tank? Is there a drain plug? I have 52 plate D5 SE. Of coarse not believing I had put wrong fuel in I did do a mile of stop start driving. Many thanks.

Take a look on the honest john web site as I think there is advice along the lines of get the car recovered to a garage and have the tank drained and the fuel lines cleaned etc. I did read that even using a can for diesel to top up you car that had been used for petrol previously could wreck the cat. Can't remember all the details though.

Roy

Nunchukhamster
Jan 17th, 2008, 14:09
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/news/aa-fuel-assist.html

ovlov25
Jan 17th, 2008, 14:13
Do not drive the car or even start it. Get it transported to a garage for a fuel system drain and flush. Fuel lines, fuel rail etc will need to be flushed out not just the tank

All modern rail diesels really really don't like petrol

RoyMacDonald
Jan 17th, 2008, 14:17
Do not drive the car or even start it. Get it transported to a garage for a fuel system drain and flush. Fuel lines, fuel rail etc will need to be flushed out not just the tank

All modern rail diesels really really don't like petrol

Trouble is he did start and drive it.

JIM C
Jan 17th, 2008, 14:18
You should do a search on the forum this topic has been covered recently before.
Jim

JIM C
Jan 17th, 2008, 14:20
This should help.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=47497&highlight=diesel+petrol

ovlov25
Jan 17th, 2008, 14:31
Trouble is he did start and drive it.

Whoops, must read things more carefully :buttkick:

henryp
Jan 17th, 2008, 16:35

AA very helpful £220 the lighter. Sucked fuel through from engine bay. Car started and ran for 100 yards, stopped, started, then ran for a mile ok, now intermittent. I guess I can't bust anything anymore so will attempt to see if I can clear through, but it doesn't look good does it!

Drove it for 12 miles appeared ok. Stopped to fill tank to brim. Car started, then stop, start, stop, start, stop! Did show a code 045 at some point!! No idea what that was??

oilburner
Jan 18th, 2008, 10:40
So you're saying you've had it drained and flushed now?

If so, there may be air locks in the system? They should go pretty quickly though.

What does it do when it stops, is it an instant stall or a coughing spluttering that brings the car to a halt?

RoyMacDonald
Jan 18th, 2008, 17:12
AA very helpful £220 the lighter. Sucked fuel through from engine bay. Car started and ran for 100 yards, stopped, started, then ran for a mile ok, now intermittent. I guess I can't bust anything anymore so will attempt to see if I can clear through, but it doesn't look good does it!

Drove it for 12 miles appeared ok. Stopped to fill tank to brim. Car started, then stop, start, stop, start, stop! Did show a code 045 at some point!! No idea what that was??

I have this, not sure if it's the right code though....P0450 Evap Emiss control system press sensor malfunction.

Roy

henryp
Jan 18th, 2008, 23:35
Hi Pete,

OK on tick over, but cuts out and no power. Had it recovered to local garage. 2 hours later they called to ask if AA added any additives as fuel was cloudy. I didn't know. Later today they had drained all, refuelled and run car ok??? As cam belt is due, they will change before completing full test drive. Appears a little odd to me and them.

Thanks

Clan
Jan 18th, 2008, 23:49
Well if the AA "drained" the tank by sucking from the front then they will only have emptied half the tank leaving several gallons in the left hand side of the tank which when the engine is started gets transfrered to the right hand side and mixed with your nice fresh diesel ... That would explain it .

oilburner
Jan 19th, 2008, 11:55
Yeah, that sounds about right.