PDA

View Full Version : D19 - S40/V40 to 2004 - V40 Cam Belt Replacement

Uncle Tom Cobley
Jan 25th, 2008, 19:24
I previously owned a 2.0 litre petrol V40 on which I changed the cam belt twice using the instructions and specifications in the Haynes manual.

I now have a 04 diesel (115bhp) V40, unfortunately the Haynes manual does not cover this engine. Where can I find instructions and specifications covering the cam belt replacement on this diesel engine?

I understand this 1870cc diesel engine is in fact a Renault engine. Maybe a Haynes manual covering a Renault would give me the information. Which Renault models used this engine and would the replacement intructions & specifications be broadly similar?

Thanks,

TC

Paul Clifton
Jan 25th, 2008, 19:46
Try these, hope they help. In PDF format require Adobe Reader.

Paul.

Uncle Tom Cobley
Jan 25th, 2008, 21:55
Thanks Paul, that's helpful, not entirely dissimilar to the 2 litre petrol engine, perhaps not surprisingly. I wonder, can it really be done in 2 hours, it took me the best part of a day to do the petrol engine. Is there a suitable alternative to the Volvo tool 951.2797 for tensioning the belt?

TC

Paul Clifton
Jan 26th, 2008, 16:12
yes 2 hours is about right, i have done them in about an hour but that is in a properly equiped workshop (two post ramp etc).
you do not really need a tensioning tool if you have changed a petrol one before just make sure it is about the same tension perhaps just a tad tighter being a diesel.

Paul.

Uncle Tom Cobley
Jan 29th, 2008, 23:56
Thanks again Paul. You must have about a dozen arms if you can change one of these cam belts in 2 hrs or even less, even in a properly equipped workshop! I guess this is the difference between a professional (which I assume you are) and an amateur (which I am).

As to the cam belt tension, the two I changed were on my 1996 2.0 V40 which has an automatic tensioner so tensioning it was not an issue. However I notice that myvolvoshop.com have a tensioner for this engine (see http://www.myvolvoshop.com/Engine-Timing_Belt_Tensioners_&_Idlers-S40/V40/c87_108_187/p239/Volvo_S40/V40_Series,_1998_onwards_Diesel_Timing_Belt_Tensio ner/product_info.html?) for £35, probably plus p&P & vat. If it really does the job, and I'll make further enquiries before purchasing it, it may be worth the investment. I don't feel comfortable about using the "you should be able to turn it about 90°" for such a critical component.

Incidentaly, is 85Hz the format for measuring belt tension (the figure given in the Autodata specifications), I'm more familiar with x mms deflection under y kgs pressure?

TC

S40T3
Sep 24th, 2008, 21:28
Thanks to Paul for the pdf files. I have just taken the plunge and started to change the belt on my '02 S40D (115bhp). So far, so good (it went dark on me!). The crank pulley came off easily and an 8mm drill bit is locking the crank nicely - although I had to remove much of the intercooler piping to reach the timing plug (11mm).

The 85hz is a resonant frequency which changes with belt tension (allegedly). Sealy do a tension meter and the sp is to 'pluck' the belt between finger and thumb. The meter then records the belt resonance. Fine - if you can get a finger behind the belt in the first place! Also, the meter is over £400, so it is back to bodgit methods for me.

I have been changing belts for 20+ years on my 240s, Transits etc., using nothing more than a hammer and screwdiver, plus some common sense; are newer engines/belts really that much more critical? I tend to 'take up the slack' (just taut) plus a bit. If I can twist the belt more than 20-25 degrees using moderate finger pressure, it is too loose. Does anyone know of a more 'precise' rule of thumb?

I'm planning to fit a new tensioner, but leave the water pump (at 57k miles). Is there anything else I should be looking out for? The alternator pulley sounds fine - as far as I can tell, but I will fit a new poly belt.

Bill

S40T3
Sep 26th, 2008, 20:57
Cam belt is on, poly belt fitted and nothing has gone 'bang' so far (tightly gripping a large chunk of oak, specially kept for the purpose of superstition).

One possible 'rule of thumb' for belt tension might be the force needed to rotate the tensioner pulley by hand. Could someone try this on a (properly) tensioned belt and report back please? It takes two finger and two thumbs to turn my tensioner pulley now, against the tension/friction of the back of the belt. This after turning the cam sprocket back a fraction to release pressure from valve springs etc.

Anyone planning to change an S40D cambelt, particularly on a pre-2000 car, should take a look at http://www.gates.com/europe/ Click on tech bulletins and select bulletin #17. If you want to feel lucky, take a look at bulletin #19 (same engine for Renault) - there are about ten different belts!

Bill

phasesonix
Dec 17th, 2008, 14:25
Anyone planning to change an S40D cambelt, particularly on a pre-2000 car, should take a look at http://www.gates.com/europe/ Click on tech bulletins and select bulletin #17. If you want to feel lucky, take a look at bulletin #19 (same engine for Renault) - there are about ten different belts!

Bill

Thats very handy thanks for posting that.

raddis
Nov 20th, 2009, 21:44

Paul.

Hi
Looking at forum post you made a while ago was wondering if you could let me have the pdf's you mentioned as am about to try changing the cam belt on my d=iesel V40 115 bhp and am a bit wary.
Thanks
Rob

JG220
Apr 29th, 2010, 12:56
as above

cliveyandrews
Aug 15th, 2010, 06:33

Paul.
Paul, any chance of a repost of the V/S40 diesel cambelt change PDFs...

Mines just gone, I'm happy to do it myself, just needtech guidance....

TIA
Clivr

Baffler
Aug 15th, 2010, 11:26
Is this the one you're after...? F8QT Workshop Manual (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.kiev.ua/Manuals/Engine/pwee9602/11A.pdf) (PDF format)

Ken Westcott
Jul 7th, 2011, 19:54
I'm about to embark on changing the cambelt etc on my late '98 V40 turbo diesel but I'm bewildered as to the vast number of types of belt available. Before I make a complete hash of this can someone confirm exactly where I can find the engine (serial) number on my engine? I've found the plate above the aperture where you insert an 8mm rod to locate crankshaft TDC and it reads "F8QT" followed by "D4192T". I'm ok with this, it's confirming the engine type, no problem. These two sets of numbers are followed on a lower line by "C 060756" - is this the actual serial number of the engine? I ask because I live in SW France and am buying my parts from EuroCarParts as their prices are about half of the prices motor factors here ask! The confusion rises when ECP quote different cambelt kits before and after engine number 3535. Does this mean my car is really engine number 60756? (long after the cut off number of 3535)

Any help you can give me would be hugely appreciated, thanks.

Baffler
Jul 9th, 2011, 16:41
You are correct in that your engine number is 60756. This technical bulletin (http://www.gates.com/europe/file_display_common.cfm?thispath=Europe%2Fdocument s_module&file=TB%20017_E2_Volvo%20S40_V40%201%209D.pdf) should be of interest to you.

I would strongly advise you to fit a genuine or quality OEM belt.

Ken Westcott
Jul 9th, 2011, 17:30
Many thanks 'Baffler' - you've saved my bacon! I'm planning on buying a cambelt & tensioners kit manufactured by 'SKF'. I would have thought this was Ok, as SKF are a known quality make of bearings etc.

jimbofrance
Oct 7th, 2011, 07:19
Sorry to jump on the boat here but any chance I could have a copy too!?

cheers

Aahwoogah
Sep 12th, 2012, 18:44
Hi there I've just read your post re cambelt for v40 '04 1.9d. I am running the same car. I recently had a cambelt change done by 'bloke in shed' who is a good friends brother. Subsequently I've heard rumours that he has ripped a few folk off by charging for parts he hasn't changed. My question is this: cam I easily gain access to the cam belt to view it or does it require removing part of the engine to examine it. Alternatively shoud I Pay a garage to examine it (done 1k miles ago).

Thanks in advance

James

Aahwoogah
Sep 13th, 2012, 14:17
Hi there I've just read your post re cambelt for v40 '04 1.9d. I am running the same car. I recently had a cambelt change done by 'bloke in shed' who is a good friends brother. Subsequently I've heard rumours that he has ripped a few folk off by charging for parts he hasn't changed. My question is this: cam I easily gain access to the cam belt to view it or does it require removing part of the engine to examine it. Alternatively shoud I Pay a garage to examine it (done 1k miles ago).

Thanks in advance

James

red7
Oct 4th, 2019, 09:31
Hi Raddis

Do you still have the PDF available to replace the timing belt on my volvo v40 115 Bhp diesel 2003 ? if so, i would appreciate you letting me have it
Thanks, Mike