PDA

View Full Version : D19 - 400 Series - Coolant - refilling procedure

rustyold440
Feb 15th, 2008, 19:25
I'm hoping to get the 440 back into a running state tomorrow. I had to take the rad off to get a good look at the gubbins behind it, and it has been sat like this for a week.

I have a few questions:

1) Can I fill it with a normal ethylene glycol antifreeze mix?
2) Do I fill it from the reservoir?
3) Is there any order of filling/draining that I need to be aware of. e.g. potential airlocks etc.

Cheers
Dan

CTCNetwork
Feb 15th, 2008, 23:13
Hi,

Find out the total capacity for your cooling system.
Get appropriate anti-freeze. There are those that say get Volvo coolant and for 4ltr at £13 it isn't that ott price wise.
Get yourself some deionised water or distilled water.
Flush the system with water (filling from the expansion tank).
Final flush with some of the above water..
Make sure you have the heater open (helps to allow the flow of water through).

The drain process will always leave some water in the system.
With the capacity above, pour half the capacity of antifreeze in first.
Then top up with the distilled/deionised water until the system is full.
You may need to squeeze the water pipes gently to to get air out.
Run engine 'til hot and the thermostat opens and the water pump is distributing the coolant. Going on a run can help this.

Top up with water after the system has cooled. Use some antifreeze to mix up some 50/50 mix for topping up.

Des. . . ;)

Chesh740R
Feb 16th, 2008, 17:01
Fill the system up from the resovoir with your desired mix of antifreeze.

start car with heater turned to hot, let car warm up so thermostat opens up.

On one of the water pipes on top of the engine you will find a small bleed screw, wearing some gloves to protect you from scolding, slightly open this to allow any air in the system to escape.

check your levels with engine switched off and top up if necessary.

rustyold440
Feb 16th, 2008, 17:54
Cheers chaps - I've still managed to screw up, but I'm hoping I got away with it.

I'd no idea of capacity, so I filled the reservior and ran until the temp guage reached halfway. Assuming the thermostat had opened, I topped up and went for a run.

1/2 a mile down the dual carrageway, I pulled over very quickly just before the temp guage reached the red section. Allowed it to cool and blagged some water from a garage to top up, about another litre and a half went in!

Feeling like a bit of an idiot, for rushing it, and hoping I've done no lasting damage :) hasn't overheated since so fingers crossed.