PDA

View Full Version : D19 - S40/V40 to 2004 - Intermitent diesel rattle

smed
Feb 17th, 2008, 21:19
I have a V40, 2001, 97,000 miles. When on idle the engine runs fine for about a minute then rattles for 4-5 seconds then runs fine for another minute or so. Sounds like the oil presure drops off then squirts up some more oil and it goes. It's a sound like a load of tappets need adjusting, then its ok again. It drives fine. Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking. Thanks

offset frontal
Feb 20th, 2008, 19:46
Why don't you push the brake pedal at idle a few times - if the 'rattle' goes - then its is brake pump actuation or servo supply or something related to it.

If not, then try and engine flush and different oil before you spend hunreds hunting around for an indeterminate fault.

It could of course also be a badly set belt or pulley.

My V70 tdi with only 100k up, has an idle rattle- but only when cold. So I thought oil and tappets etc. Volvo delaer wanted £500 quid to have the head off to check the tappets. But he never pumped the brake pedal at idle- which I did and revealed that the head does not need to come off. So I took it waya from them before they went any further.

Have you revved it up or bunged some kerosene thru it?