PDA

View Full Version : D19 - S40/V40 to 2004 - Crap MPG!

morphinemitt
Feb 20th, 2008, 00:00
Right then according to other V40 D drivers my current MPG is crap!
My fuel computer has just told me my average MPG is down to 37.4 with a full tank giving me a range of 420 miles, 250 of these miles being 60mph on A-roads cruising and the rest at town-driving speeds.
The car is a V40 diesel (115bhp) with FSH and 125k on the clock.
I know that the Volvo figures are inflated and my fuel computer may be lying, but 420 miles from a full tank of V-power does roughly equate to what the computer says.
So how can I get somewhere near the promised figures?
I do have my C/Control on all the time, but that shouldn't make too much difference should it? I flicked it over to instant MPG today too and at 70 on the M-way it was still only reading 39ish.
The car still runs and pulls smoothly, with a little bit of smoke when I pull away sharpish, which I'd expect from a high mileage diesel
Any ideas?

bryand
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:28
With cold air temperatures and winter diesel, nobody is getting good MPG at the moment.
Also, you won't get sensible MPG readings until the engine oil has warmed up to temperature - say 20 minutes after a cold start.

morphinemitt
Feb 20th, 2008, 15:06
Right, I decided to do a little bit of a test today.
I got the car up to temp with a 15-20 minute drive on A and B roads then got on the Mway, turned off my Climate/heater, radio and phone, set the cruise control to 70mph and reset the computer. These are the results: Distance travelled= 17.1 miles, Average speed= 68mph, Average MPG= 44.6.
Does that equate to 'normal'?

paynekjk
Dec 11th, 2009, 11:43
I got the same result on my S40 although it is actually brand new and so it may improve as it finishes running in..

Clan
Dec 11th, 2009, 12:37
Right, I decided to do a little bit of a test today.
I got the car up to temp with a 15-20 minute drive on A and B roads then got on the Mway, turned off my Climate/heater, radio and phone, set the cruise control to 70mph and reset the computer. These are the results: Distance travelled= 17.1 miles, Average speed= 68mph, Average MPG= 44.6.
Does that equate to 'normal'?

Its not bad for winter ,
have you got your tyre pressures at 32 rear 36 front for best mpg?
cruise control is not going to help economy as its constantly accelerating and decelerating , try it off for a week! Let it slow up hills and gently accelerate when going down hill if you have forgotton how to drive economicaly :-)

are there many hills in your area? also remember every time you press the brake thats fuel wasted ...

I have seen many many of these averaging over 50 mpg .. and as yours is doing 44 then there cant be anything wrong with the engine , try the best diesel too even though it may be more expensive