PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - gear box on now goto take of again

craig8661
Mar 13th, 2008, 19:15
no amused do to lack of tools a had to fight with it for 3 hours lining it up well got box on then guess what the clutch relise arm decided to drop out the box i cant see throu the hole tonight but has any one maniged to get it back onto the thrust bearing with out taking the box of i dont want to take the box back of as its heavy and to be honest that would be the end of this volvo scap man is out tomorow for the seat so this would be a add on to his lorry
any hints or tips that could save the old beast will be very welcome

craig8661
Mar 13th, 2008, 22:59
well it looks like box of or scrap thats a shame

ivor940
Mar 14th, 2008, 09:16
Hi Craig, I will look at my old engine / gearbox and see if the lever can be re attached in situ. It will be this evening before I can do this. Please do not scrap your lovely 940.

ivor940

craig8661
Mar 14th, 2008, 11:19
well been of then back on bolted all up and noticed something the slave cylinder would be on full extended reach to even touch the clutch relise arm now all dimentions on the clutch was the same only thing couldnt mesure was the friction area so do you think it could be yet again a wrong clutch or the relise arm falling of again i noticed it only sits ther and no strain

pete-d
Mar 14th, 2008, 12:41
Hi Craig

I know the car's causing you grief right now but I'm sure that if you scrap it and get something else you'll regret it - you've said so many times how good these cars are.

When you hit a problem, try to think about the good things the car's done for you in the past and how it will be great for you again when it's fixed.

Cheers and good luck with it.

Pete

craig8661
Mar 14th, 2008, 16:01
im after a clutch relise arm of a m90 gear box think thats what is wrong with mine do they have a piece of plastic on the back where the ball goes in the gear box tell you why i can see a piece broken on mine but allso for the clutch to work the slave cylinder is at full reach then it pops out before disingaging the clutch this is the only thing i can think has gone wrong
im starting to loose the will to go on with the car as im now expert at droping the box but 7 times is getting a joke now

craig8661
Mar 14th, 2008, 16:07
this is the clutch relise arm back see where the ball sits is there sopposed to be a plastic insert

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/mistonia/volvo%20crap/clutcharmback.jpg
the front of same arm
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/mistonia/volvo%20crap/clutcharmfront.jpg
no sighn of any bending ither

Ferg
Apr 9th, 2008, 22:09
Are you sure the ball isn't worn or the fork bent. I had a really frustrating time with my M46 box in my td. I used 2nd hand parts. the worn ball would punch through the fork (x2) but would show as a gap between pushrod and fork before failing. The fork should fit snug on the carrier (its possible to be lucky and feed it through the hole but you must remove the slave cylinder from it's mount to have room to manouvre). I also noted there are two thicknesses of thrust bearing so is it possible you have the wrong one?
If the broken bit you are looking at is the ball, then that's your problem, a little difference at the pivot ball can make a lot at the slave cylinder. Get new volvo bits, theyre worth it . looks like you need a new spring clip (like a bent kirby grip) for the fork as well or it'll keep falling off.

craig8661
Apr 10th, 2008, 09:10
hi i got it sorted in the end used the clutch arm of the 740 then extended the clutch push rod the thrust bearing was def the right length as it matched up to the old one allso it drove ok untill last night