PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - timing

volvobm
Mar 21st, 2008, 19:56
Need advice on re-setting timing on my d24 740...

tfb
Mar 22nd, 2008, 01:39
It's not to hard to set the timing, but you do need a dial gauge to measure it with (you can get them off of Ebay for about £50ish), a 12mm spanner and socket and 6 or 8mm (can't remember which) hex bit to fit in a socket and a 27mm socket.

Assuming that the timing/pump belts haven't been removed, then use a torch to look down the hole in the bell housing below the pump and use a 27mm socket to crank the engine. Keep and eye out for the TDC timing mark (mine looks like -0-). You may need to get a wire brush on it to make it easier to see and then put a dab of white paint, tippex or similar on it.

Disconnect the cold start device from the lever on the pump, it has a collar that rotates 90 degrees to allow it to come lose and pull the lever back against it's stop. Don't undo the screw which has yellow paint on it, or you'll have to adjust the cold start as well.

Slacken the 2 nuts at the back of the pump and the one at the front and then slacken the hex bolt at the back inside. Undo and remove the bolt in the centre of the pump - between all the injector pipes.

Fit the dial gauge into the hole exposed by removing the bolt. Crank the engine around a few times until you find the minimum reading and then twist the dial on the gauge to set it to zero at the minimum point.

Crank the engine around until the TDC mark on the flywheel is lined up with the pointer on the bell housing (If you overshoot, then go around again, don't crank it back wards). The dial gauge should read 0.65mm to 0.95mm depending upon the country and age. For a European D24T ot D24TIC it's 0.87mm to 0.95mm (with the ideal setting being 0.9mm). Twist the pump to get it set to the correct value and then I like to crank it around a few more times and check again.

Once finished, tighten it all up and off you go!

Regards

TFB

jor
Mar 22nd, 2008, 01:49
You've definitely come to the right place... Do a search under 904td and 740td and you won't have to go too far down the page to get some threads. 'Diesel timing tools' will also return a few hits and assist you in the task. tfb has also written an account of what's required quite recently. Besides the belt have a think about what you are going to change for instance the water pump and tensioner. If you are near London you are welcome to borrow tool 5187 which holds the pulley while you loosen the bolt. Lastly you may wish to consider buying or borrowing the engine manual, or looking up the manual on www.k-jet.org

john

craig8661
Mar 22nd, 2008, 02:05
You've definitely come to the right place... Do a search under 904td and 740td and you won't have to go too far down the page to get some threads. 'Diesel timing tools' will also return a few hits and assist you in the task. tfb has also written an account of what's required quite recently. Besides the belt have a think about what you are going to change for instance the water pump and tensioner. If you are near London you are welcome to borrow tool 5187 which holds the pulley while you loosen the bolt. Lastly you may wish to consider buying or borrowing the engine manual, or looking up the manual on www.k-jet.org

john

jor is that the tool to do the main crank pully how big is it would it post speacial delivery lol i need to do mine as its desperate to be done

jor
Mar 22nd, 2008, 16:56
If you do a search under 5187 Craig you should find pictures and a description of the tool, which weighs some 3 lbs. It's going to cost a lot to post, certainly relative to the cost of the tool itself, which was around £45.
As this is a 'longtime' relationship it might be more worthwhile for you to get one, bearing in mind that my present financial circumstances won't permit me to get another one if the post office mislaid it.

john

craig8661
Mar 22nd, 2008, 20:07
just seen one of your other threds with the tool on it
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=365548
now that dont look to hard to make up you kno the slotted parts on the front what do they engage into allso do you have any dimentions on the tool i kno i could spend £45 on one but i may make some up to sell for a lot less
allso this tool do you slot a bar over it to undoo the bolt on the crankshaft