PDA

View Full Version : General - A bit different.

Volan245
Apr 9th, 2008, 10:37
I,am new to Volvo forums and find it all very interesting. I have three 77 245 wagons and one is fitted with a diesel engine and I thought some of you might be interested.
The engine is a Nissan LD28 it,s a 2.8 litre six cyclinder engine with OHC and 5 speed gearbox. These engines were made in Japan in the mid seventies for their local taxi cars and some four wheel drives.
I bought this car as a parts car but I was so impressed with how well it went and is fuel economy that I use it the most.
There are some pictures below of the engine bay.

pabarret
Aug 20th, 2008, 17:08
Hi all, another newbie here, just wanted to say that nissan engine is a beauty, had one fitted in jag a few years back same thing happened the jag as happens all jags it rotted. I saw a BMW 740 for sale lately with a nissan diesel engine fitted, dunno if it was the same type though.

Volan245
Aug 23rd, 2008, 08:49
I see your from Ireland I wasn't sure if the LD28 engines were available up your way. It's interesting to see like here in NZ these engines were used to repower all sorts of cars and light trucks. Nissan also produced the RD28 which was the replacement for the LD28 but it wasn't as good. They went to a alloy head and used a rubber cambelt and the engine wasn't as reliable.

Laney760
Aug 23rd, 2008, 23:34
I,am new to Volvo forums and find it all very interesting. I have three 77 245 wagons and one is fitted with a diesel engine and I thought some of you might be interested.
The engine is a Nissan LD28 it,s a 2.8 litre six cyclinder engine with OHC and 5 speed gearbox. These engines were made in Japan in the mid seventies for their local taxi cars and some four wheel drives.
I bought this car as a parts car but I was so impressed with how well it went and is fuel economy that I use it the most.
There are some pictures below of the engine bay.

Previous to my 740 (stolen) and now having a 940 diesel I owned a 1991 2 litre Nissan Primera. The engine was something else. It was gifted to me by my uncle in 1999 with 23 thou on the clock and a full service history. It had a cam chain, no maintenance there. It's acceleration and top speeds (better not say) were unbelievable, even into 2007. I later learned that the 1991 - 1992 2 litre Primera engine was the same one as was put in their sports cars. I was always out in the fast lane with the BMWs, Mercs, etc.. and people used to do a double take at the acceleration and top speed of this H reg saloon, lol.. The old Nissan engines were something else. Sadly, after 8 years of absolutely trouble free motoring, amazing reliability and unbelievable performance my Primera head gasket started to go (along with all the engine's other gaskets?), either down to an idiot garage putting mineral oil in it instead of fully synth or vindictive neighbours having put something into my petrol tank (non locking petrol cap). If it were down to the mineral oil, I lost faith in Nissan then, decided their engines were amazing but very 'highly strung' and have returned to Volvos, having lots of fun now with the D24TIC, lol....