PDA

View Full Version : D5 (2005 on) - Induction for diesels

HeliFella
Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:13
Good morning folks,

Does a performance air filter / induction kit offer similar gains to their petrol varients?

Surely colder and more air makes for a better bang no matter the type of engine?

I am particularly interested for the D5 lump.

don kalmar union
Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:38
It is indeed a fine morning, here in north London at least.

Certainly the same criteria generally apply for the induction tract of a diesel as those for a petrol engine.

However, the claims made for virtually all aftermarket filters, be they paper, cotton or foam, panel or cone etc. are all vastly overstated.

In respect of your awaited V50 D5 the standard induction tract will be perfectly adequate, despite its convoluted appearance up to arround the 275bhp level which would be hard to achieve without some expense.

Volvo have historically been able to design their standard inlet tracts very, very well and generally their earlier turbocharged petrol models only require some changes when outputs have been substantially increased.

Just to tempt you once you get your new car....I can offer MTE software to raise the standard outputs to 220bhp and 475 nm of torque.....T5 territory for that model, plus the hardware additions available for the T5 variant, exhaust components, reworked turbos etc. will fit and further enhance outputs. Then we have limited slip diffs., suspension mods, anti roll bars, big brake kits and brake upgrades.......all fitted and working well on my own Focus ST which is under the skin exactly the same as all current smaller Volvos

But, please dont think I have my hand poised anywhere near your back pocket....not yet anyway.

Regards, Don.