PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - Strange 'ting' from rocker box cover

Laney760
Aug 27th, 2008, 12:59
Ever since I've had this car I've noticed a strange regular metallic 'ting' sort of noise from the engine (on top of it's normal noisness like a load of marbles being chucked around in a tin). I've been on a mission this morning and have found it. If I hold down the rocker box cover hard at the rear of the engine it stops. I've tried doing the rocker box cover up more but it's done up very tight. I've got no oil leaks from the gasket. Is this anything to worry about, is something touching something it shouldn't be, is it a sign that my engine has been messed with badly or just yet another idiosyncrasy of these interesting engines? Thanks

craig8661
Aug 27th, 2008, 15:04
lol that noise is part of the engine sometimes the vacume pump can go very noisey you wait until a very cold winters morning you would think it was running on sledge hammers

Laney760
Aug 27th, 2008, 15:36
lol that noise is part of the engine sometimes the vacume pump can go very noisey you wait until a very cold winters morning you would think it was running on sledge hammers

I almost didn't buy it because the engine was so noisy, I was sure it couldn't be right. I've got a 20 year+ Merc 307 diesel camper whose engine is positively silent compared to the D24TIC. If it had smoked on startup, combined with the noise, I wouldn't have bought it. I did check that the engine wasn't warm, that the seller hadn't 'warmed it up' and have now found that she only smokes a bit unacceptably sometimes on the very first start up of the day though when I count how many seconds she smokes for its probably only one, just a lotta smoke for one second, lol... a lot of people do a double take at the the pristine personalised number plated Volvo 940 when they see/hear the start up, they're not used to things like this in Henley, they all have posh new vehicles. Glad the 'ting' is not something else I've got to add to the list of things to do. Thanks

jpliddy
Aug 27th, 2008, 21:26
hi ive had my 940 TDI 9 years its done 150000 miles 100000 are mine the noise will be the vacum pump . you can get servics kits i think . mine is as noiesy now as the day i bought it and a bit of smoke on start up. i have a few friends with this car theres are the same . i have just put a stainless steel exaust and ditched the catalist it sailed through M.O.T it was the orginal exaust .change the oil every 5000 miles . i get the cambelt and pully and tensioner changed at no more than 60000 miles or 6 years if these fail the engine is dead. change the air filter once a year . they like clean air . all the best.

bertuk
Mar 15th, 2010, 09:13
same here on my 850 tdi, my vac pumps noisy you can dismatle it and stretch the spring abit to stop the tapping, one way to find out if its your vac pump when it starts tapping press the brake pedal hard it should stop, if it does its your vac pump:thumbs_up:

jor
Mar 15th, 2010, 14:47
I happen to have a refurbed one to spare, should you decide that the noise is not tolerable. and that it is the pump that is causing it.

jor

alv70d1999
Mar 15th, 2010, 16:14
same here on my 850 tdi, my vac pumps noisy you can dismatle it and stretch the spring abit to stop the tapping, one way to find out if its your vac pump when it starts tapping press the brake pedal hard it should stop, if it does its your vac pump:thumbs_up:

how do you stretch the spring??...

i took mine off my v70tdi last year due to it tapping and when i undid the small bolt on the pump face, it shot apart like a bullet!

i had to literally stand on it with all my weight to get the nut back on as the spring was very highly compressed!. put it this way, it took me over a hour of very bad language to get it back together so god knows how id stretch that spring.

id like to know about the re-con kit as mine is tapping again and its a pain.

jor
Mar 21st, 2010, 17:04
Is the ditching of the cat worthwhile jp? It is supposed to be worth 10hp or so, I only got as far as breaking a stud when trying to get the exhaust off, but would give it another go if the efffect on driving/economy is noticeable.

jor