PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - How to prime

Laney760
Sep 7th, 2008, 18:51
Broke down when I first bought this car, couldn't find out what was wrong, turned out to be diesel, lack of, either my lift pump only pulls up only 13 galls out of a possible 20 gall tank or I do have a 13 gall tank and my fuel guage works only between half and full (literally in that I've used 13 galls by the time she gets down to half). Anyhow, the RAC primed it by putting a little hand pump somewhere on the diesel pump I think. My Merc 307D has had to be primed a couple of times in her life after standing for long periods on low levels of diesel, the only way on this engine is to loosen off the injectors and turn it over (for about an hour, lol) until the fuel comes through

What's the best pump I should have in my tool kit for priming this engine and exactly where does it go on the diesel pump please? (I've seen 'universal' hand pumps for sale and seen mention of an electonic/electric one on here somewhere). Sorry not a very high tech question but something I've been unable to source on the net. Thanks

craig8661
Sep 7th, 2008, 19:47
theese engines are self priming and dont reguire a second pump usaly they start after 40 secs of winding if it takes longer or wont start suspect rear seal on the pump
just looking more into your post your pump seals are failing

Laney760
Sep 8th, 2008, 00:56
theese engines are self priming and dont reguire a second pump usaly they start after 40 secs of winding if it takes longer or wont start suspect rear seal on the pump
just looking more into your post your pump seals are failing

Thanks for that Craig. The RAC never told me this, only that it needed priming because it had 'run out' of diesel and therefore had to be primed. I pick up so much wrong information by listening to experts, lol...

Peter Milnes
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:31
Hi Laney, I have been trying to get diesel owners to invest in a small priming pump for a long time now. I have been thinking along the lines of an old SU electric pump which can be fitted permanently in the fuel line and wired via a push switch so that should the need arise a push on the switch for a few moments is all that is needed to prime the main pump. I found out that it takes a lot longer to reprime the pump than is currently thought. I flattened three batteries trying to start the car when I replaced my injectors. I have so far not had any complaints of pump rear seal failure as they are particularly long lived. Failure can occur if an additive is not used with the fuel (I highly reccommend the Miller's product), if bought from a supermarket outlet. Recently I have found that the Shell diesel is well worth a couple of pence more.

All the best, Peter. :car-smiley-031:

craig8661
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:38
also to add my pump failed because of bio diesel but when rear seal was done mine was never bad to start ran it out of diesel twice had injectors out once and still wasnt bad to start all i did after injectors out was crack the front injector
as peter says you can add a electric prime pump or you could add a rubber primer bulb as used on pugs also they have a noe return valve to stop drain back to tank
you can fit this where the steel pipe comes up to the chassie leg and goes into the rubber pipe that goes over to the diesel filter
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10mm-Fuel-Primer-Bulb-Petrol-Diesel-inline-non-return_W0QQitemZ300255258577QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em300255258577&_trkparms=72%3A1090%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
all you will need to do is ither cut the origanal rubber hose or just add a little one for the bulb use some good jubily clips to make it air tight

Laney760
Sep 8th, 2008, 15:46
Hi Laney, I have been trying to get diesel owners to invest in a small priming pump for a long time now. I have been thinking along the lines of an old SU electric pump which can be fitted permanently in the fuel line and wired via a push switch so that should the need arise a push on the switch for a few moments is all that is needed to prime the main pump. I found out that it takes a lot longer to reprime the pump than is currently thought. I flattened three batteries trying to start the car when I replaced my injectors. I have so far not had any complaints of pump rear seal failure as they are particularly long lived. Failure can occur if an additive is not used with the fuel (I highly reccommend the Miller's product), if bought from a supermarket outlet. Recently I have found that the Shell diesel is well worth a couple of pence more.

Thanks for this. I have been using supermarket fuel, will avoid from now on. I'm assuming you mean normal octane Shell or perhaps the higher octane (think I've read this is not good for these engines?)

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=30

Laney760
Sep 8th, 2008, 15:48
also to add my pump failed because of bio diesel but when rear seal was done mine was never bad to start ran it out of diesel twice had injectors out once and still wasnt bad to start all i did after injectors out was crack the front injector
as peter says you can add a electric prime pump or you could add a rubber primer bulb as used on pugs also they have a noe return valve to stop drain back to tank
you can fit this where the steel pipe comes up to the chassie leg and goes into the rubber pipe that goes over to the diesel filter
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10mm-Fuel-Primer-Bulb-Petrol-Diesel-inline-non-return_W0QQitemZ300255258577QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em300255258577&_trkparms=72%3A1090%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
all you will need to do is ither cut the origanal rubber hose or just add a little one for the bulb use some good jubily clips to make it air tight

Thanks for this. If I had a spare pump I'd use biofuel but have read that it does the shaft seal in eventually. Adding a picture of my beast but it's coming out a bit big, lol..

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=30

craig8661
Sep 8th, 2008, 19:14
it looks well im missing my beast now on the irish meet i think they was all shocked when william took of then i was not far behind i dont think they relised the diesel ones can shift

Laney760
Sep 8th, 2008, 20:30
it looks well im missing my beast now on the irish meet i think they was all shocked when william took of then i was not far behind i dont think they relised the diesel ones can shift

There are currently FOUR diesel 940s on Ebay today, one has a full Volvo service history. Can I tempt you? :regular_smile:

Peter Milnes
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:05
Your car is looking rather good Laney, what is the roof projection or is there a van parked behind? How about a picture of yourself and the car so we can see what a fine couple you make? Incidentally, that is another bit of baloney about the shaft seal on the pump and that the higher cetane Shell is not good for diesels. There is no truth in either. The only thing that can muck the pump up is poor quality fuel. Biodiesel added to the tank at anything from 5% mix is beneficial as it replaces the lubrication for the pump that Ultra Low Sulphur fuel takes away. Hence my reccommendation for the Millers additive when using supermarket fuel in particular.

Laney760
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:37
Your car is looking rather good Laney, what is the roof projection or is there a van parked behind? How about a picture of yourself and the car so we can see what a fine couple you make? Incidentally, that is another bit of baloney about the shaft seal on the pump and that the higher cetane Shell is not good for diesels. There is no truth in either. The only thing that can muck the pump up is poor quality fuel. Biodiesel added to the tank at anything from 5% mix is beneficial as it replaces the lubrication for the pump that Ultra Low Sulphur fuel takes away. Hence my reccommendation for the Millers additive when using supermarket fuel in particular.

Thank you. I've got a full size roofrack on it, thats the roofrack's 'spoiler', lol. Yes, it's a very 'clean' car, hard to fault the bodywork. I have found 3 people on the net who used biofuel, 100%, all whose shaft seal went after six months. That can't be coindental? They do say that the additives in biofuel rot the seals and lines so you have to have them replaced with another material, can't remember what it's called now, have sourced a UK supplier that make replacement fuel lines and pump seals of this material. So are you saying I should be using the higher octane fuel from a non-supermarket outlet or the lower octane from a non supermarket outlet and add Millers? Incidentally, I used to run my Nissan with and without roofbars, I always got exactly the same to the gallon. I put roofbars on my 940 initially, there was absolutely no effect on mpg, have changed over to the rull size roofrack, absolutely no effect on mpg, I get weary of people telling me that roofbars/racks bring down mpg. Perhaps when there's something loaded on them, yes, but unloaded I've never found they make any difference.

craig8661
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:56
as for the pump every one we found with thesse engines ran better on veg oil
peter as for bio it is well proven that unless you get mods on rubber seals and hoses it attacks them my pump had nothing wrong with it untill it was tried with bio and from then on we had problems
i also kno for a fact from the diesel specalist that rebuilt the pump fords suffer very bad from expanded seals
and peter what are you saying sue the local petrol companys as there diesel is not proper
your choise to use millers aditive as a choise
my volvo was ran on 100% for a while bio
but was told to run it on staight veg if not on diesel and we never looked back

DieselDoNicely
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:55

Never used additive....ever.

All of them get filled with supermarket fuel.

Laney760
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:54

Reference the four 940 diesels on Ebay Craig, now five today, (some of these cars sound half decent Craig), I just had to cut and paste this from one seller, it did make me laugh. Quote:

Volvo 940 Diesel

Where to start !

its a flying brick on wheels

i hate it ,want shot of it !

i bought this just over a week ago

craig8661
Sep 9th, 2008, 13:54
pmsl i would never had quated mine like that selling points would have been top speed 115mph (private road)
went like the clappers
and was best £200 i have ever spent on a car the £6000 replacment has been a nightmare with problems and has only just turned 4
at min i realy cant afford a volvo as moving back to the mainland poss end of october beginning of november

ovlov25
Sep 9th, 2008, 14:17

Yep, was pretty relentless for a 200 quid diesel car with over 200k on it. I swear though I never went over 70 in the T5 :D

craig8661
Sep 9th, 2008, 14:28
lol
in that case i never did ither
it was soom fun that meet tho

Laney760
Sep 9th, 2008, 15:42
lol
in that case i never did ither
it was soom fun that meet tho

I'm planning on going to my first meet meet at Crooked Billet 28th Sept :Banane34: (as you can see I don't get out a lot, lol). From what I can see there are no other 940s saying they're going, lots of newer models and some Amazons, looking forward to seeing these, hope we'll be able to hear and see each other over my pump noise and smoke, lol...

tfb
Sep 9th, 2008, 19:58
Reference the four 940 diesels on Ebay Craig, now five today, (some of these cars sound half decent Craig), I just had to cut and paste this from one seller, it did make me laugh. Quote:

Volvo 940 Diesel

Where to start !

its a flying brick on wheels

i hate it ,want shot of it !

i bought this just over a week ago

That's my old 940 that a nice young lady drove into the side after listening to her sat nav!, I got £500 off of the insurance company and then sold it for £200 (not bad as I paid £375 for it!). I think £500 is a bit overpiced as it's not only the door but the sill which is dented.
Other than the dented bodywork (minor dents on pretty much every panel, plus a couple of major ones!) it is quite sound.
It did 25,000 miles on veg-oil in 6 months up and down the M11 with only a few self-induced problems.
I don't think I left any of the vegoil conversion on it as nearly all the bits went onto my new car.

Regards
TFB