PDA

View Full Version : V50 2.0D Loss of power Sept 2005 HELP

Mark Loveridge
Sep 9th, 2008, 13:53
Hi Gents,

I have a Volvo V50 on a 55 plate (September 2005). I have done 82,000 miles when it just started to loose power on the motorway.

It has been with a Volvo main agent for 7 weeks now! It is only running on 2 cylinders so they have replaced 2 injectors (twice), 2 ECU's, checked the con rod's weren't bent and still can't find a fault....!

Anyone got any ideas?

All help is much appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

Laney760
Sep 9th, 2008, 15:59
Maybe of use to you, this link talks of a failed micro-switch or sensor on your model & engine:

'Previously another engine fault occurred during servicing at 31000 miles when 90 % loss of power discovered on leaving service garage: no computer diagnostic showing and later stated to be a failed micro-switch or sensor'

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:7p8CVNwh0M4J:townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fc9da+v50+diesel+loss+of+power&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6

shimon340
Sep 11th, 2008, 16:00
hi

I'm sure the dealer will be discussing the case with volvo technical support to try to figure this one out for you.

cutting out has numerous reasons.

hope it is sorted soon for you

Clan
Sep 11th, 2008, 18:17
Has the car been anywhere near standing water or FLOODS ? This is a killer for a 2.0D and can never be diagnosed properly ...

shimon340
Sep 16th, 2008, 14:17
hi Clan

hope you are well.

Do the S40/V50/C70/C30 have low down air intakes making them susceptable to suck in water when going through puddles or flooded roads? Or does the travelling through deep water cause problems another way?

I've heard on the weekend that the ford mondeo using the Skovde built 2.0D doesnt have a priming pump as part of the fuel filter. Apparantly owners need to buy aftermarket pumps to prime their cars etc.

The D5 would have a priming pump still?

Has volvo fitted priming pumps to the P1 cars with 1.6D and 2.0D?

The lack of priming is a Ford only thing like to capless fuel fillers? (which I hope volvo never adopts!!)

regards

Shimon

Clan
Sep 16th, 2008, 18:41
Hi Shimon ,
Not too good thanks , a stinking cold !
The air intakes were in front of the left front wheel under the arch liner but moved to the top of the radiator area but any significant Bow wave would and has wrecked engines in no time . 4 inches of water may be ok but as slow as the car will go ... If it was a dire emergency , but i wouldnt risk it at all .
The 2.0 D doesnt have a priming pump either in the tank or a rubber bulb so changing the fuel filter would result in a no start unless you inserted a priming bulb in the filter inlet line . Now looking at a citroen with this engine i see it has a priming bulb on the side of the filter .
All D5's have a tank pump and a better main HP pump after 2005 which is good at sucking , the early ones wouldnt "suck" at all .
So i guess lack of priming is a FORD and hence VOLVO "only" thing on the cheaper models . It shouldnt cause a problem though as the engine is cut before any air gets into the system due to low fuel tank level in the S40/V50 etc range .This is software-achieved leaving 5 litres in the tank .

darthmuppet
Aug 25th, 2009, 14:28
can anyone advise how to top up the adblue reservoir on my 2005 v50 20d sport , i have had the fault diagnosed at delership but they mak stupid money , also i occasionally loose power when accelerating , and the car can be reset by turning the ignition off/on

Clan
Aug 25th, 2009, 17:25
Its well worth getting the garage to do it , it is filthy fluid and stains , and will splash you all over first time you do it as the tank is under slight pressure . Then the additive level gauge has to be reset on the volvo diagnostic machine after topping up .. It is unlikely this fluid will cause your power loss problem .. there are many other things which will ! again the stored fault code will guide ..