PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control problem

the_player
Jun 28th, 2005, 14:34
Hello to everyone. I've just purchased a 2001 Volvo C70 T5 and am made up with it...

One problem however, the cruise control does not seem to work. I know the car had it as an option when it was new and it has the stalk on the steering column. I'm definitely trying to operate it correctly (as per manual) but no joy. Any ideas on what might be up with it ?

Thanks

Ben.

liuleichan
Jun 28th, 2005, 15:04
>Hello to everyone. I've just purchased a 2001 Volvo C70 T5
>and am made up with it...
>
>One problem however, the cruise control does not seem to work.
> I know the car had it as an option when it was new and it has
>the stalk on the steering column. I'm definitely trying to
>operate it correctly (as per manual) but no joy. Any ideas on
>what might be up with it ?

I've had a problem with mine, recently - check you haven't got the same symptoms.

The plus side of the rocker isn't working, and as I normally set it using the plus button, I thought it had failed. But using the minus side of the rocker sets it fine.

the_player
Jun 28th, 2005, 16:27
Nah, I've tried every combination of rocker movement!!!!

Someone said that it could be the position sensor on the brake pedal causing it to be permanently cancelled but apparently this should cause the engine fault light to come on which it doesn't.... hmmmmm

5lab
Jun 28th, 2005, 16:33
are you sure you're using it correctly? just a thought - normally the switch needs to be set to 'on' and then press the up button

liuleichan
Jun 28th, 2005, 16:41
>are you sure you're using it correctly? just a thought -
>normally the switch needs to be set to 'on' and then press the
>up button

... or the down button ;-)

(it's the only way I can set mine at the moment)

SG
Jun 28th, 2005, 18:39
It won't work below a certain speed (25mph?)

wolfie
Jun 28th, 2005, 20:18
Ben, Maybe you could check the following as this was my probleme on the 850.

The vacuum actuator is positioned under the dash right above the accelerator pedal. It is connected to the pedal through a plastic linkage with a ball type joint on the ends, much alike those used on older Volvo carbd. Anyhow, the one joit going onto the pedal was damaged and slipped of the moment the unit was activated. Quick and cheap repair done in minutes.

Also remember that the unit opperates through vacuum. check all the vacuum tubing to and from the unit for breaks in the lines.

Good Luck,

Chris_Rogers
Jun 28th, 2005, 22:01
None of that applies to the 99> cars.

Check the brake and if approriate the cluch pedal switches first.

If no joy then a trip to the Dealer may be the easiest option unless you live in Kent.

the_player
Jun 29th, 2005, 00:47
Cheers for all of the advice guys...

I'm defo operating it (well trying to!) correctly!!!

How can I check the clutch and brake sensors to make sure they aren't causing the problem? To be honest, the garage I bought it from said they will fix it for me but I'm just wondering if it is a simple thing would it be easier to sort it myslef rather than spend the petrol money on a 100 mile round trip!!

Ben.

Dan F
Jun 29th, 2005, 09:51
Hi.

If the garage say they will fix it (for free) then I would let em.

This kind of thing could lead to the need for new software (on .99 cars) and that is a pain. It all depends on what needs replacing/repairing.

Just make sure you can leave the car for a couple of days and get a courtesy car from them to give them ample time to fix/sort.

Either that or maybe get them to agree to pay your local dealers bill for you if they are more convenient.

When I bought my T4 from Northampton, they agreed to let me get all my agreed niggles/faults rectified by my local dealer and then reimbursed them direct afterwards. Great service!

Cheers,
Dan.

imac
Jun 29th, 2005, 23:47
>Someone said that it could be the position sensor on the brake
>pedal causing it to be permanently cancelled but apparently
>this should cause the engine fault light to come on which it
>doesn't.... hmmmmm

I'd go with the brake pedal sensor as the prime culprit - your fault codes should read this though, and unless the newer cars are different you should not get an engine fault light at all.

You can reset the brake pedal switch - you don't have to replace it, let me know if you're interested and I shall reveal all. Total cost to repair = £0.

imac
Jun 29th, 2005, 23:47
<post removed>

the_player
Jul 1st, 2005, 12:50
That would be brilliant if you could!! Let me know the details and I'll give it a go....

How do I go about pulling fault codes by the way or more to the point how can I get hold of an OBD II cable and the necessary software.

Thanks for all the advice so far

Ben.

volvo2
Jul 3rd, 2005, 18:35
When mine failed it was the sensor on the clutch. Sensor was replaced by Volvo - no software download needed.

M.