PDA

View Full Version : No Diesel Particulate Filter

Ben Hur
Oct 7th, 2009, 17:36
I have a brand new S40 2.0D and have just spotted on the Volvo Price and Specification book that my car is not fitted with a DPF.

Across the Volvo Platform 1 all diesel cars have the DPF fitted apart from the C30 2.0D Manual, S40 2.0D Manual and V50 2.0D Manual.

:err:

Can someone enlighten me why this is?

Thanks.

Rascal
Oct 8th, 2009, 10:30
If you haven't got a DPF, then consider yourself lucky.
They appear to be more trouble than they are worth, as a 'DPF' related search on the forum will reveal.

Volvo-in-my-blood
Oct 8th, 2009, 13:44
Those models use an additive for emissions control rather than the regenerating filter in the larger engined models (to do with the exhaust gas temperature not being high enough in the smaller engines to burn of the particulates). The additive is part of the schedules servicing (at 60,000 intervals?).

7050man
Oct 27th, 2009, 21:00
I have a brand new S40 2.0D and have just spotted on the Volvo Price and Specification book that my car is not fitted with a DPF.

Across the Volvo Platform 1 all diesel cars have the DPF fitted apart from the C30 2.0D Manual, S40 2.0D Manual and V50 2.0D Manual.

:err:

Can someone enlighten me why this is?

Thanks.

That's very interesting as my understanding of Volvo and even Saab, was that all their vehicles would have a DPF fitted. I suspect that there is a DPF but not one that requires replacement or additive perhaps.

The original 2.0d was a Euro 3 engine with none, then the Euro4 spec was introduced with a DPF that required additive to increase exhaust temp to aid regeneration of the filter periodically.

Now, it seems that the latest DPF on 2.0d engines may not have a DPF that reqiures replacement, ie it is for the life of the car.

The 5cyl Volvo engines ( so I understand) have never had the additive requirement because they get hot enough without the need to use a catylist and again the DPF is not a service item.

My V50 2.0d E4, has service item DPF and in my opinion as a result it reduces engine performance, increases fuel consumption and increases chance of problems due to extra sensing and control (more to go wrong).

I should also add that at 75k miles (lower on earlier DPF engines) the complete filter has to be replaced which means that the 75k service will be well over £1000! Oh I forgot to mention that additive has to be topped up at 37.5k miles - also increasing service cost.

Plus side is that the engine is extremely clean and the exhaust pipe has almost no soot at the tail pipe.

Your car will not have the DPF that will give you all these worries, so good luck and enjoy the car. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Loskie
Oct 28th, 2009, 08:07
I bought my V50 2.0d as a factory order in mid June car arrived July25. Good news to hear maybe no DPF fitted and the costly additive and replacement required.
Have just looked at the brochure I got(issue 01/05/2009) Model year 2010 ed2 and on the engine specifications page small print at the bottom states "NB All diesel models are fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter except 2.0d manual"

Interestingly this would mean the D5 HAVING a DPF. Does this seem correct?

7050man
Nov 2nd, 2009, 22:52
The D5 will have a DPF, but not one that is a service item, so it will not need replacing unless it fails for any other reason.

This is the heart of the confusion I think. Two types of DPF system. A DPF that has to be replaced and also use additive to aid regeneration, or one that doesn't.

Interesting that Volvo have changed the wording on the sales brochure that you quote. The website does not say that 2.0d does not have DPF. If you look on Volvo site for DPF, all will be explained.

bryand
Nov 5th, 2009, 16:26
This is the underside of my MY2008 C30 2.0D. There is NO particulate filter, and there is NO dosing tank or other associated plumbing.
It just ain't there.

JMP
Nov 10th, 2009, 22:05
I have a 55'reg V70 D5 and recently had the message 'soot filter full' and it went into limp mode. Managed to do a manual recharge on it after 40 miles foot flat down on the dual carriageway. Wasn't looking forward to a costly replacement.

Can anyone tell me... does my V70 have the DPF that requires additive and is this why it sooted up? I understand short journeys are no good for DPF's but mine has always had quite long runs.

VW seem to have the right idea - when we ordered my wifes Golf we could have deleted the DPF as they said it was not recommended for cars that do short journeys.

Loskie
Nov 12th, 2009, 19:21
after initially reading this thread I posted a question to Volvo Customer Services via their website. My car is a July 09 V50 2.0DS.
This was their response:-
"Thank you for your email and I apologise for the delay in responding to
you. I can confirm that your vehicle does not have a particulate filter.
This information is gleaned from the chassis number YV1MW754XXXXXXXX.
75 is the engine variant and the following 4 shows that it is Euro 4
emissions which do not have the filter. I hope this is the information
you require, thank you for your contact with this office."
The brochure and dealers aren't at all clear. Hopefully the information I was given is correct.

Clan
Nov 12th, 2009, 19:30
its all in the 8th character of the VIN :

3 = euro 3 NO particle filter
4 = Euro 4 No particle filter
5 = Euro 4 WITH particle filter

7050man
Nov 12th, 2009, 22:38
VW seem to have the right idea - when we ordered my wifes Golf we could have deleted the DPF as they said it was not recommended for cars that do short journeys.

Yes VW do say this and they also say that if a warning lamp comes on, then drive at 2000 - 2500 revs until lamp extinguishes. It also says that it is normal for this lamp to illuminate.

The VW filters are also designed for the life of the car or 140k miles.

I thought that Volvo had adopted these types of filters instead of the replacement type. But perhaps not.

Lozza
May 23rd, 2010, 10:07

Clan, thanks for that... I too have had the recall letter 'Oil level may rise'. I was a little dubious as I was sure my V70 D5 ('07) didn't have a DPF. I've checked my VIN and I have a '4' as the 8th character, so that's good news for me.

Interestingly enough my oil level has always stayed rock steady since day 1 with the car, never had an issue with it and I check it regularly.

I spoke to the dealer with regards the recall letter and was told that yes, despite my car not having a DPF (they had checked), it still required the software upload and the oil level reduced. Again, no real explanation as to what the software will do, however they claimed it was nothing to do with diesel fuel topping up the sump level and it was instead, due to 'oil misting' at either higher ambient temps, or engines driven hard.

Interesting, as a search on the net regarding oil levels rising almost certainly reveals hits on fuel topping up the sump levels rather than oil misting...

Either way, I'm not making any special trip to have this done just yet as my car's running really well at the moment. Like others have said, I'm curious to see how any other owners get on if they do go ahead and have this job undertaken.

Clan
May 23rd, 2010, 11:11
ahh those emission codes only apply to the S40 / V50 not V70 !

A 2007 V70 D5 would have a particle filter .. you can check by looking under the car it looks like a silencer at the front just forward of the footwell , it will have two thin pressure pipes attached ( one at each end ) and a temperature sensor ...

I would have the software upgrade because any problems later and you wont get any help if you turn down the help they are offering now .

Lozza
May 23rd, 2010, 14:44
Ok cheers! - I'll take a look... The dealership seemed pretty sure I didn't have one but I'll have a look myself !

adb007
Jun 3rd, 2010, 15:19
Not sure about accuracy of Clan's table showing meaning of 8th character of VIN.

I have a 2008 V70 D5 185 Geartronic car with VIN YVBW71408------ which according to Volvo Customer services, and my dealer does have a DPF.

According to Clan's table the 4 following the engine variant 71 suggests no DPF.

Oil level is too high 25 mm over the max on dipstick (1500 mles after service) and car in at moment to have level dropped.

Told dealer if Volvo wont pay to change the oil I will and argue with Volvo later. Don't believe that degree of contamination is OK for engine life.

Clan
Jun 3rd, 2010, 18:20
Not sure about accuracy of Clan's table showing meaning of 8th character of VIN.

I have a 2008 V70 D5 185 Geartronic car with VIN YVBW71408------ which according to Volvo Customer services, and my dealer does have a DPF.

According to Clan's table the 4 following the engine variant 71 suggests no DPF.

It is very accurate on the S40 V50 C30 C70 but Not the V70 and rest of the range however .. they have a differnt system

adb007
Jun 4th, 2010, 15:28
Hi Clan

Many thanks for the clarification - all makes sense now.

Had my 08 V70 D5 Geartronic dealt with yesterday, Volvo would not pay for oil change so I did. Not worth the risk to the turbo bearings in my opinion for the price of a full tank of fuel.

Posted my experience with the dealer (with whom I am happy) in a separate thread. Some interesting issues raised there.

chunderground
Jun 24th, 2010, 14:04
if manufacturers do not fix this problem I think there will be a mass market for disabling DPFs. I would far prefer it if motor manufacturers found a fix but 3- 5 years on there is no fix in sight. I would think that the cost of running back to the manufacturers dealer for new DPFs / engines / turbos (the two latter items lubricated with what is effectively vegetable oil) every few thousand miles would be unacceptably expensive to the majority of owners.
Volvo claim it is the bio diesel (vegetable oil) component which is getting into the sump which will not evaporate out.
With the expensive 0w-30 oil volvo spec for the engine it is laughable that they refuse to change the oil when it has been diluted with vegetable oil.
It is now a legal requirement that all diesel fuel has to contain 7% bio fuel.
The DPF engines were designed before this was a legal requirement.
The excess fuel getting into the sump was supposed to evaporate before causing problem. Bio fuel (vegetable oil) does not evaporate. Which is why we now are having this problem.
So the EU created the problem by insisting on DPFs being fitted to diesel engines and the UK government completed the stitch up by insisting on a 7% bio fuel component.
We have been stitched up good and proper the EU and UK legislators and the motor manufacturers.
End of Rant

dufeua
Jan 9th, 2011, 00:49
Clan I am led to believe the # 5 in Euro 4 can also be a dry filter. Doesn't necessarily mean its the wet regen system. [I note your previous comment about v70 application]. I think this applies to the 1.6d eng type but not sure if that's all models?
Do you concur?

Clan
Jan 9th, 2011, 09:43
Yes the late cars from about 2008 and later have the same system as V70 ie a partic;le filter which doesnt need changing and no additive .. if there is no additive tank on the back axle it will have this late type particle filter .

grainqey
Jan 9th, 2011, 21:09
if manufacturers do not fix this problem I think there will be a mass market for disabling DPFs. I would far prefer it if motor manufacturers found a fix but 3- 5 years on there is no fix in sight. I would think that the cost of running back to the manufacturers dealer for new DPFs / engines / turbos (the two latter items lubricated with what is effectively vegetable oil) every few thousand miles would be unacceptably expensive to the majority of owners.
Volvo claim it is the bio diesel (vegetable oil) component which is getting into the sump which will not evaporate out.
With the expensive 0w-30 oil volvo spec for the engine it is laughable that they refuse to change the oil when it has been diluted with vegetable oil.
It is now a legal requirement that all diesel fuel has to contain 7% bio fuel.
The DPF engines were designed before this was a legal requirement.
The excess fuel getting into the sump was supposed to evaporate before causing problem. Bio fuel (vegetable oil) does not evaporate. Which is why we now are having this problem.
So the EU created the problem by insisting on DPFs being fitted to diesel engines and the UK government completed the stitch up by insisting on a 7% bio fuel component.
We have been stitched up good and proper the EU and UK legislators and the motor manufacturers.
End of Rant

im getting my dpf mapped out even though i'v had no problems with it sooting up, i'd just rather not have the stupid thing-slightly improves fuel economy too seeing as it's not having to clean it with diesel, so out comes a hammer to knock all the "filter" gubbins out of it lol
alex

LRS
Jan 10th, 2011, 21:46
End of Rant

This is a completley insane situation!

The poor, powerless consumer has no choice but to fill their car with diesel fuel that the EU has deemed necessary to add bio-fuel to save planet earth. This then has a direct negative effect on the engine oil quality because yet another EU planet earth saver - the DPF, has also been deemed necessary...

The poor old consumer will also have no power of recourse from the vehicle manufacturer as they have been able to distance their responsibility away from this diabolical situation.

Does anyone know if the 7% bio-diesel statute applies the same to all diesel fuel types e.g. Shell normal diesel compared to Shell VPower diesel?

What a complete nightmare...

Below is an excerp from the EXPLANATORY MEMORANDUM TO THE BIOFUEL (LABELLING) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS 2009
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/3277/pdfs/uksiem_20093277_en.pdf

3.2 Vehicle Compatibility and Fuel Standards

Bioethanol and biodiesel have different properties from petrol and diesel and these can limit the percentage of biofuel that can be added to petrol and diesel if the resultant blend is to be compatible with existing vehicles in the vehicle fleet. Industry fuel standards are developed jointly by the fuel and automotive industries to ensure compatibility of vehicles and fuels. The European industry standards for petrol and diesel are EN 228 and EN 590
respectively. For some years these have permitted up to 5% bioethanol and 5% biodiesel content, by volume, in petrol and diesel. The EU Biofuels Directive 2003/30/EC reflects these constraints in its Article 3(5) which
requires Member States to ensure that a specific label is applied to pumps dispensing fuels containing more than 5% biofuel by volume.
However, recently industry have reviewed the percentage of biodiesel with which diesel vehicles are compatible concluding that a 7% blend level is acceptable for normal diesel vehicles (a few car and van manufacturers warrant vehicles to run on up to 30% blends and some heavy duty vehicle manufacturers produce vehicles capable of running on pure
biodiesel).
The key limiting factor is the introduction of Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) on new diesel vehicles. This technology is being introduced in response to the stringent ‘Euro 5’ emissions standards that are being phased in for new cars and vans between 1st September 2009 and 1st January 2012, although a small number of earlier vehicles are also fitted with this technology. A DPF physically filters out soot particles from the vehicle’s 9 exhaust; periodically, stored soot has to be burnt off the DPF (a process known as ‘regeneration’) in order to prevent the DPF blocking and bringing the vehicle to a halt. Most
vehicles regenerate DPFs by injecting a small amount of additional fuel into the engine very late in the combustion cycle (a process known as ‘post-injection’) in order to raise exhaust temperatures to a level where the soot stored in the DPF burns. Post-injection inevitably results in some fuel getting past the piston rings and into the engine’s sump, diluting the lubricating oil. The boiling point of fossil diesel is low enough that it boils off, out of the lubricating oil during normal engine operation, preventing significant dilution of
the oil’s lubricating properties. Biodiesel has a higher boiling point and hence tends to accumulate in lubricating oil resulting in accelerated engine wear unless oil change frequency is increased. Vehicle manufacturers have identified a 7% biodiesel content as the level beyond which ‘oil dilution’ becomes a significant issue. As a result of the above, in discussions on amending the industry diesel fuel standard (EN 590) to permit a higher biodiesel content vehicle manufacturers agreed to permitting up to
7% biodiesel content, but no more, in diesel. EN 590:2009, permitting up to 7% biodiesel content in diesel, was agreed by the European Committee for Standardisation (CEN) on 12th March 2009.

paul123
Jan 13th, 2011, 19:59
im getting my dpf mapped out even though i'v had no problems with it sooting up, i'd just rather not have the stupid thing-slightly improves fuel economy too seeing as it's not having to clean it with diesel, so out comes a hammer to knock all the "filter" gubbins out of it lol
alex

thinking of doing the same my dpf as allready cost me having to have it regenerated and now its gone again, is it really legal to have it removed that is my only concern and as anyone here had it done if so would you recomend it ?

calypsoe34
Mar 12th, 2011, 21:32

You have no idea how happy this little nugget of information has made me! 8th character on mine is 4 - Yessss!!!

Clan
Mar 12th, 2011, 22:19
That chassis info only applies to S40/V50/C30/C70 range . If you have a S80 D5 it will have a particle filter , but they are no problem generaly ..

calypsoe34
Mar 13th, 2011, 14:05
Bummer!!

cheetah
Sep 1st, 2012, 16:30

My VIN is YV1MK76E292143672 My car is a C301.6 SE Diesel 2009.
1. Does it have a Particle filter?
and
2. It "judders" when I switch off the engine,is this "normal"?

5cilinder
Sep 1st, 2012, 19:08
Check if the throttle closes when the engine shuts off or if it does if there are no leaks in the intake after the throttle

Ninja59
Sep 1st, 2012, 19:21
My VIN is YV1MK76E292143672 My car is a C301.6 SE Diesel 2009.
1. Does it have a Particle filter?
and
2. It "judders" when I switch off the engine,is this "normal"?

1.6D will have one.The only C30 really not to have one was the 2.0D

robinhood2
Nov 15th, 2012, 21:57
after initially reading this thread I posted a question to Volvo Customer Services via their website. My car is a July 09 V50 2.0DS.
This was their response:-
"Thank you for your email and I apologise for the delay in responding to
you. I can confirm that your vehicle does not have a particulate filter.
This information is gleaned from the chassis number YV1MW754XXXXXXXX.
75 is the engine variant and the following 4 shows that it is Euro 4
emissions which do not have the filter. I hope this is the information
you require, thank you for your contact with this office."
The brochure and dealers aren't at all clear. Hopefully the information I was given is correct.
You were lucky getting an answer from volvo
I have a similar V50 2.0D Reg Oct 2010 model.

This was Volvo Customer Service reply to my DPF enquiry and I gave them the Vin No and engine number.
"Please note that you will need to talk to the seller or your local Volvo dealer to confirm the specification, including if a DPF is fitted. I regret that this is not a service we provide. You can find your nearest dealer by following the web link below:"

From your post and others have since found that if the 8th digit number is 4 then no DPF od additive tank fitted

robinhood2
Nov 17th, 2012, 11:56
Interesting.

I am trying to find out about the DPF on my 2.0D V50 2010 model

Perhaps the easiest solution is to find out where the DPF is fitted and have a physical look.

F1ngers
May 30th, 2013, 21:11
Does this 8th character theory work for s40 2.0 D 2005/2006 model?

The 8th character on my VIN is 4. Does this mean my volvo has no DPF ?

Many thanks

Fingers

Clan
May 30th, 2013, 21:12
Does this 8th character theory work for s40 2.0 D 2005/2006 model?

The 8th character on my VIN is 4. Does this mean my volvo has no DPF ?

Many thanks

Fingers

yes that is correct ;-)

jamesey
Jul 6th, 2019, 09:43
Old thread but I'm still confused , my 2009 v70 2.0d psa engine has a 4 on the 8th number of my vin and does not have a eloys top up plus on hard accelerating it blows soot out , can see it at night with car lights behind , I've no light on my dash but on looking underneath it looks like I have some sort of dpf

Clan
Jul 6th, 2019, 21:36
Old thread but I'm still confused , my 2009 v70 2.0d psa engine has a 4 on the 8th number of my vin and does not have a eloys top up plus on hard accelerating it blows soot out , can see it at night with car lights behind , I've no light on my dash but on looking underneath it looks like I have some sort of dpf

That is a catalytic converter they all have those ..

jamesey
Jul 6th, 2019, 21:47
That is a catalytic converter they all have those ..

I cant load the picture up of what I have underneath my car but I have a cat that's coming down from the engine and then on the straight I've got another unit with 2 steel piped , one at the start and one running to the back also there is a sensor at the end of it , I do have a 4 on the 8th letter of my vin aswell , my car blows soot out and the tip is very black that comes off on your finger , this is what I cant understand , it all points to not having one but I'm sure it does , looking on fleebay at a v70 cat for the psa engine they look the same as what I've got

Clan
Jul 6th, 2019, 21:55
I cant load the picture up of what I have underneath my car but I have a cat that's coming down from the engine and then on the straight I've got another unit with 2 steel piped , one at the start and one running to the back also there is a sensor at the end of it , I do have a 4 on the 8th letter of my vin aswell , my car blows soot out and the tip is very black that comes off on your finger , this is what I cant understand , it all points to not having one but I'm sure it does , looking on fleebay at a v70 cat for the psa engine they look the same as what I've got

well you do have a particle filter then . where do the two pipes go to?

jamesey
Jul 6th, 2019, 21:56
well you do have a particle filter then . where do the two pipes go to?

https://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq284/jamesey01/20190704_121359_zps2l28ihoi.jpg (http://s456.photobucket.com/user/jamesey01/media/20190704_121359_zps2l28ihoi.jpg.html)

jamesey
Jul 6th, 2019, 21:58
Managed to photobucket a picture on , why would my car blow soot out under hard accelerating and on start up any idea mate

Clan
Jul 6th, 2019, 22:30
Managed to photobucket a picture on , why would my car blow soot out under hard accelerating and on start up any idea mate

are the pipes connected up to a pressure sensor on the side of the battery?

A working particle filter stops all soot , maybe someone has removed the internals ...

jamesey
Jul 6th, 2019, 22:33
are the pipes connected up to a pressure sensor on the side of the battery?

A working particle filter stops all soot , maybe someone has removed the internals ...

Don't know mate , I'll be checking this out I think as my test is coming up , do these dpfs have a diesel feed going to them like the vws do , regen every so often with the fan running or are they the newer ones.
I've no dpf light on ignition either

Clan
Jul 6th, 2019, 22:38
Don't know mate , I'll be checking this out I think as my test is coming up , do these dpfs have a diesel feed going to them like the vws do , regen every so often with the fan running or are they the newer ones.
I've no dpf light on ignition either

No there is no light or diesel feed , it is more sophisticated than that . Is there a black plastic additive tank underneath the car in the middle of the rear axle ?
Regeneration happens roughly every tank of fuel you don't notice it happen normally .

jamesey
Jul 6th, 2019, 23:06
No there is no light or diesel feed , it is more sophisticated than that . Is there a black plastic additive tank underneath the car in the middle of the rear axle ?
Regeneration happens roughly every tank of fuel you don't notice it happen normally .

Definitely no eloys tank on mine mate only thing I can see is the cap of my diesel filter , had a right good look aswell

Clan
Jul 6th, 2019, 23:11
Definitely no eloys tank on mine mate only thing I can see is the cap of my diesel filter , had a right good look aswell

so someone has put a particle filter on , are the pressure pipes connected to anything ?

jamesey
Jul 7th, 2019, 07:55
I'll be checking later this morning mate

jamesey
Jul 7th, 2019, 20:53
Didn't get time to look but I don't have anything nectvto my battery with 2 pipes or a 3 pin wire , just can't see anything , also I've got a single inlet manifold not a twin like on some cars , can you tell from my photo matey?
https://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq284/jamesey01/20190707_092923_zpsowmhu1jf.jpg (http://s456.photobucket.com/user/jamesey01/media/20190707_092923_zpsowmhu1jf.jpg.html)