PDA

View Full Version : XC60 Satnav - A Waste of Money?

Ron 98
Dec 17th, 2009, 09:47
I've encountered some significant issues with the satellite navigation fitted to my 2009 XC60 and thought I'd share these here, in the hope that they may be of help to anyone who's contemplating ordering it for themselves - and to see if anyone who already has the same system has had similar problems with it.

First, a few minor niggles which I can (sort of) live with. The mapping is sometimes inaccurate, and incomplete. For example, it misnames the M8 at Ratho as the M9. It thinks my local railway station is "Drumbreck" (it's actually Dumbreck). It knows nothing of the A68 Dalkeith bypass - about 5km of dual carriageway which opened in September 2008, the best part of a year before I bought the car.

More seriously, though, its navigation choices are sometimes bizarre - just plain wrong. I think the level of error is so serious that the system is not fit for purpose. Let me give a couple of examples, to see what others think:

Example 1 A couple of months ago, I was driving from Glasgow to a village near Whitby. The route was exactly as I'd expect: down the M74/M6, over the A66 from Penrith to Scotch Corner, and so on. But I pulled off the A66 for lunch at the Charles Bathurst Inn in Arkengarthdale, about 10km off the A66. When I'd had lunch, instead of taking me straight back onto the A66 it directed me over a tortuous route along the B6270 back to Kirkby Stephen - an unnecessary detour of, I guess, at least 30 miles which added an hour to the journey.

Example 2 Even more dramatic was a stunt it pulled last weekend. I was driving from Stalybridge to Birmingham, and expected the satnav to put me onto the M60. I'm not very familiar with the area, but realised something was seriously wrong when I found myself heading over the A628 Woodhead Pass towards Sheffield - yes, that's Sheffield. So I pulled over and changed the route option from "fastest" to "shortest". The new route ("shortest", remember) was several miles longer than the "fastest" one I'd been using until then, but still took me towards the wrong side of the Pennines. Anyway, I just decided to ignore the effing thing and follow my nose. Once again, the cost in terms of wasted time and mileage was very considerable and doubtless would have been even more if I'd not aborted when I realised something was wrong.

I can't remember what the precise cost of the Volvo satnav was, but it was several hundred quid and for that price I would expect a system which didn't appear to have been programmed by practical jokers and which understands basic concepts like "shortest". Does anyone else have any similar experiences, suggestions, etc.? I do intend taking the matter up with Volvo because - aside from the question of value for money - I think there are safety issues associated with a system which directs the unsuspecting user into the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason.

Sorry to rant for so long but my old Tom Tom Classic would never have let me down this way!

Clan
Dec 17th, 2009, 10:11
These kinds of problem are typical of most Navigation devices not just a volvo one , It's a highly complex system which unfortunatly , unlike you has no intelligence ... so i would advise you use your intelligence rather than totaly rely on this kind of technology . Map updates take a long time to end up on update disks and there are ways to report errors on the web site , does anyone ever do this? unlikely .. The compass function is probably the best instrument if you dont have a natural nose for direction, People who have followed these devices to the letter have ended up driving into rivers and off cliffs , obviously these drivers are not intelligent !
Any navigation device is a guide , but if you get lost it WILL get you to where you are going , and it WILL find your chosen address .
A tip is to plan your route beforehand on the system and add some points along the way that YOU want it to go for it to follow , it will then take you the way you want to go ...why dont you use your tom tom classic alongside and see what the differences are ...
The best navigation system in the world is ... A £5 map ....!

Kapouille
Dec 17th, 2009, 10:46
Sorry to rant for so long but my old Tom Tom Classic would never have let me down this way!

Absolutely agreed. Most integrated sat navs suffer from poor software and outdated databases.

So much so that some manufacturers now ship tomtoms (and nüvis, for Volvo, as a semi-external option) as they realised in house solutions are expensive and generally bad.

155mph
Dec 17th, 2009, 12:14
OP's point was not about fit-for-purpose. It is about value-for-money which it isn't. I'd stick to my OTC sat nav.

Lexon
Dec 17th, 2009, 12:23
I've encountered some significant issues with the satellite navigation fitted to my 2009 XC60 and thought I'd share these here, in the hope that they may be of help to anyone who's contemplating ordering it for themselves - and to see if anyone who already has the same system has had similar problems with it.

First, a few minor niggles which I can (sort of) live with. The mapping is sometimes inaccurate, and incomplete. For example, it misnames the M8 at Ratho as the M9. It thinks my local railway station is "Drumbreck" (it's actually Dumbreck). It knows nothing of the A68 Dalkeith bypass - about 5km of dual carriageway which opened in September 2008, the best part of a year before I bought the car.

More seriously, though, its navigation choices are sometimes bizarre - just plain wrong. I think the level of error is so serious that the system is not fit for purpose. Let me give a couple of examples, to see what others think:

Example 1 A couple of months ago, I was driving from Glasgow to a village near Whitby. The route was exactly as I'd expect: down the M74/M6, over the A66 from Penrith to Scotch Corner, and so on. But I pulled off the A66 for lunch at the Charles Bathurst Inn in Arkengarthdale, about 10km off the A66. When I'd had lunch, instead of taking me straight back onto the A66 it directed me over a tortuous route along the B6270 back to Kirkby Stephen - an unnecessary detour of, I guess, at least 30 miles which added an hour to the journey.

Example 2 Even more dramatic was a stunt it pulled last weekend. I was driving from Stalybridge to Birmingham, and expected the satnav to put me onto the M60. I'm not very familiar with the area, but realised something was seriously wrong when I found myself heading over the A628 Woodhead Pass towards Sheffield - yes, that's Sheffield. So I pulled over and changed the route option from "fastest" to "shortest". The new route ("shortest", remember) was several miles longer than the "fastest" one I'd been using until then, but still took me towards the wrong side of the Pennines. Anyway, I just decided to ignore the effing thing and follow my nose. Once again, the cost in terms of wasted time and mileage was very considerable and doubtless would have been even more if I'd not aborted when I realised something was wrong.

I can't remember what the precise cost of the Volvo satnav was, but it was several hundred quid and for that price I would expect a system which didn't appear to have been programmed by practical jokers and which understands basic concepts like "shortest". Does anyone else have any similar experiences, suggestions, etc.? I do intend taking the matter up with Volvo because - aside from the question of value for money - I think there are safety issues associated with a system which directs the unsuspecting user into the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason.

I can't understand the map issues with the Volvo unit as these are made by Navteq. I currently have a VDO MS4300 Navigation system in my Sorento, using 2006/07 Navteq maps and have not had any of the more serious problems that you've had, just the odd niggly ones. I also have a Tom Tom 300 (very old) but upgraded maps, which is an excellent Nav.
I can't say I've been encouraged by whats been said as I am taking delivery of a new XC60 in the next 2 weeks, and yes I went for the SatNav option. Lexon

NewVolvo
Dec 17th, 2009, 13:08
I haven't really had any issues either with my built-in sat nav in the XC60. Sure, the occasional niggle (like telling me there is a bl***y Shell garage in a private residential street in B'ham!) but nothing more serious than that. I find the software good with very fast re-calculations when I have missed the exit etc.

I do also have a Garmin Nuvi 765T which is superb but is used in the other cars.

Viper_7
Dec 17th, 2009, 13:12
Totally concur with Clan, and I use the technique he suggests.

Rather than ploting a course to my destination,

I specify before hand which points I wish to pass through - and thus force it to use certain roads, then set all these interim points as favourites and specify them as way points before the final destination.
It's more a hands free map then, should as a driver already known the route
and not rely on the system, but use it for junction reminders and town/city streets.

For example, my satnav insits on taking me down the A1 from the North to the South, and bizarely the return trip it choses the M1.

If I force it to use the M1, the result is a shorter and faster time? so why it choses the A1 I have no idea!

another story...
Made me laugh during the summer in Scotland (Oban) the last 6 miles which it claimed would take x amount of time, took about 10 times as longer!
It took me down some dirt road in the middle of pigging nowhere which I guess was an unclassified road so 60mph, but I couldn't do more than 15, as there were highland coos everywhere!

Everytime we ventured out (as didn't know the area) it refused to take me anywhere but this dirt track! As to it, the surrounding roads were all 30-40 mph and so it thought would take longer.

wimorrison
Dec 17th, 2009, 13:36
I have to say that the only time that the satnav in the XC60 wanted to take me through the countryside was becuae I had the options set incorrectly.

I had chosen shortest route rather than fastest route and as it was 2 miles shorter route it correctly mapped the route through lots of lanes.

I do agree that it may be nicer if it was easier to specify the options you want, but it has always come up with the best route, for the options I have specified :)

I have used many variations of Satnavs and they all have faults, saying that I think the XC60 version is very quick, accurate and easy to use - certainly not rubbish nor a waste of money - at least that is my view :)

Clan
Dec 17th, 2009, 13:40
another story...
Made me laugh during the summer in Scotland (Oban) the last 6 miles which it claimed would take x amount of time, took about 10 times as longer!
It took me down some dirt road in the middle of pigging nowhere which I guess was an unclassified road so 60mph, but I couldn't do more than 15, as there were highland coos everywhere!

Everytime we ventured out (as didn't know the area) it refused to take me anywhere but this dirt track! As to it, the surrounding roads were all 30-40 mph and so it thought would take longer.

Thats probably WHY a lot of problems occur , with computers rubbish in = rubbish out ..
What is wrong with the speed limits in this country , you are allowed to do 60 down a country lane barely wide enough for the car with bends and loose gravel and mud that you wouldnt feel happy doing 15 mph on . Then you have a motorway on a sunday with hardly any cars on with a 50 mph limit for no seen reason ..

XC60Owner
Dec 17th, 2009, 15:41
SatNav was almost £2000. I had a brand new TomTom for £300. So I stuck with that and am very happy with it. In fact I have it attached where the Volvo SatNav goes and it almost looks integrated (there is even a convenient gap to hide the power cable). I had a new V70 loan car and I didn't much like the SatNav in that, we ended up switching to our TomTom instead. But who knows what the settings were on it (and I hadn't read the manual) ... so it's not really far to compare the two. For me it came down to price and it looks like now there are a few options for fitting cheap Garmin devices nicely into the Volvo SatNav location. Definitely worth careful consideration it seems.

AB-UK
Dec 17th, 2009, 15:49
As much as I like the idea of the integrated sat-nav + comms, I have also had issues with the Volvo crap-nav system in my XC90 - which I have previously aired so will not repeat here.
Volvo's response each time has simply been "our engineers have been unable to recreate the situation", and suggestions that I should plan my route in stages.
Yes, I am able to utilise my own intelligence and knowledge most of the time, but the original poster was questioning "fit for purpose", and given that a sat-nav should be a reliable means of navigation, clearly it isn't fit for that purpose.
I pity foreign visitors who have to rely on this system to get around without the benefit of local knowledge.

Pebble
Dec 17th, 2009, 15:54
I had a brand new TomTom for £300. So I stuck with that and am very happy with it.

Yes likewise I couldn't bring myself to pay over £1000 for a sat nav, when I already had one that works well enough. Would be neat if the TomTom integrated a bit better, but the route planning and accuracy have been very good. And I also have mounted it with a Brodit clip in the space left by the missing OEM screen.
Only problem I had was when I got lost in London and the TomTom would not power on and I didn't have a map... Have bought an up to date map book which I always keep in the car now. It seems to have worked - have had no more problems with the TomTom.

ZERO-TO-XC60
Dec 17th, 2009, 23:10
SatNav was almost £2000. I had a brand new TomTom for £300. So I stuck with that and am very happy with it. In fact I have it attached where the Volvo SatNav goes and it almost looks integrated (there is even a convenient gap to hide the power cable). I had a new V70 loan car and I didn't much like the SatNav in that, we ended up switching to our TomTom instead. But who knows what the settings were on it (and I hadn't read the manual) ... so it's not really far to compare the two. For me it came down to price and it looks like now there are a few options for fitting cheap Garmin devices nicely into the Volvo SatNav location. Definitely worth careful consideration it seems.

can you post pics - I want to try and integrate my garmin in the same position - pics might help inspire me to sort it out ie hiding wires ?

cheers Andy

Clan
Dec 18th, 2009, 10:01
can you post pics - I want to try and integrate my garmin in the same position - pics might help inspire me to sort it out ie hiding wires ?

cheers Andy

why dont you buy the installation kit/bracket from your dealer for the garmin 765 . you can get the traffic module too for about £60

bluesnappa
Dec 18th, 2009, 11:04
My garmin has never let me down yet and it has bluetooth so the phone works through it. If I go for an XC60, I wont be adding the sat nav. The dealer even agreed when I discussed the options. I'll add another 'toy' instead. I am sure that it wont detract from the resale value in a few years time. Im sorry that yours is not as reliable but thanks for sharing.

ZERO-TO-XC60
Dec 18th, 2009, 22:16
why dont you buy the installation kit/bracket from your dealer for the garmin 765 . you can get the traffic module too for about £60

I'll make enquiries once I find the part ref no's

I've got the W265T Garmin so already have traffic alert through the power cable - is the "Volvo" traffic module just the wire or somert different ??

Clan
Dec 18th, 2009, 22:33
http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/cat/en-GB/XC60/comfort/electronic/VCC-404173.htm

the details but second thoughts that includes the Garmin 765 .. the bracket parts should be available from the dealer in his parts list like the V70 S60 etc but the mounting bracket will be xc60 specific , there is even a repair kit for the bracket hinge now ..

The volvo traffic receiver is a device which plugs into the cradle and inserts in the car aerial lead , this gives a much better signal than the Garmin dangling lead you stick to the windscreen ..

topcatt
Dec 19th, 2009, 11:44
Having (finally) taken delivery of my new XC60 yesterday, I must admit that my initial impression of the satnav is unfavourable - not in terms of capability, but the actual picture size and quality (contrast) seem quite poor, certainly in comparision with the MB Command system. I will have a play around with the settings later today, if it ever stops snowing, to see if I can find something that works.

On the positive side, the classic wood trim and black leather seats look fantastic so, if you are about to order, classic is worth thinking about.

mikealder
Dec 19th, 2009, 11:58
For any of you wondering about fitting a non Volvo nav product have a look at This (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=86009) thread, in page 2 and 3 I have put some pictures showing what can be done using Brodit clips in my V70, they make clips to suit loads of different cars/ models etc and once installed provide a very neat installation that won't fall off - The other really big plus point is they don't attach with any screws or damage any trim and they are removable, worth considering if you don't like things stuck to the windscreen - Mike

volvo145
Dec 19th, 2009, 12:08
If you think Volvo have a bad sat nav system then you should try a toyota one if you can set it up that is.
Long live tom tom but i wish we could get the dashboard fitting kits that garmin use in the States

Tony60
Dec 21st, 2009, 16:44
Thats probably WHY a lot of problems occur , with computers rubbish in = rubbish out ..
What is wrong with the speed limits in this country , you are allowed to do 60 down a country lane barely wide enough for the car with bends and loose gravel and mud that you wouldnt feel happy doing 15 mph on . Then you have a motorway on a sunday with hardly any cars on with a 50 mph limit for no seen reason ..

Took my xc60 delivery at weekend fitted sat nav discs in boot dvd ,no instructions with car how to 1. use the thing /and the remote

2. also says in handbook I can apply for two updates.

does anyone know if the dealer has left me short on info . ps. they also stamped book showing 12500 mile servicing and XC6O ARE 18000 mile interval
servicing after the 3 month inspection.

UKDave
Dec 21st, 2009, 16:48
I've been following this thread for a while. I recently purchased a used XC60 and it came with only one DVD in the Satnav. However, given that this was the 2008 system, I believe this is correct. The new 2009.1 maps I have just purchased include 4 DVD's and an upgrade to the software to show the map in 3D, 3 different UI's and notification of speed cameras.

Generally, I feel the system is adequate, and I find it easy to navigate the controls from the wheel mounted stalk - I can't see the need for me to ever use the remote.

wimorrison
Dec 21st, 2009, 17:11
Took my xc60 delivery at weekend fitted sat nav discs in boot dvd ,no instructions with car how to 1. use the thing /and the remote

2. also says in handbook I can apply for two updates.

does anyone know if the dealer has left me short on info . ps. they also stamped book showing 12500 mile servicing and XC6O ARE 18000 mile interval
servicing after the 3 month inspection.

If it is an MY10 XC60 then you should have received a pack (rather like a fat DVD case) which contains the other 3 DVDs in the set. These cover the rest of Europe in the same level of detail as UK. The disk fitted gives UK in detail and major roads for the other countries (I think)

I received an upgrade voucher from Volvo stating that I get the next 2 map updates free, that took about 2 weeks to come through.

Can't comment on the servicing as mine is going for the 3000 mile/ 3 month check next week. They don't service anything just fix any issues that you have found :)

Tony60
Dec 21st, 2009, 18:52
I've been following this thread for a while. I recently purchased a used XC60 and it came with only one DVD in the Satnav. However, given that this was the 2008 system, I believe this is correct. The new 2009.1 maps I have just purchased include 4 DVD's and an upgrade to the software to show the map in 3D, 3 different UI's and notification of speed cameras.

Generally, I feel the system is adequate, and I find it easy to navigate the controls from the wheel mounted stalk - I can't see the need for me to ever use the remote.

The Upgrade was that another disc ,also did you get any written "how to use instructions ?" thanks tony

wimorrison
Dec 21st, 2009, 19:58
The Upgrade was that another disc ,also did you get any written "how to use instructions ?" thanks tony

Yep, they gave me a thick booklet on the satnav - yet to read it though :)

I have found everything on the SatNav without recourse to reading the manual, so it must be simple!!

UKDave
Dec 21st, 2009, 20:49

Not with the 4 DVD pack I got, other than a rather hefty disclaimer booklet that comes with the usual foreign language course (ie it is printed in about 30 languages).

To be honest, the controls are not too different from the previous version, so if you have the guide that came with the car, the extra features should be fairly simple to work out.

It took a while to figure out how to get the speed camera warning sound, as it is not referred to that in the menus.

wimorrison
Dec 21st, 2009, 21:36

It took a while to figure out how to get the speed camera warning sound, as it is not referred to that in the menus.

Have you found a way to change the sound from ther camera shutter sound to something rather more alarming? I find the sound so unobtusive I miss it most of the time :(

Would really appreciate any advice on how to change this sound

dj898
Dec 21st, 2009, 22:20
you guys lucky.
here in down under we get very basic DVD...
and that's it~
doesn't even have the red light camera and etc.
hence I run trapster oo my iPhone while I drive to alert me the location of camera/etc. ;(

UKDave
Dec 22nd, 2009, 09:16
Have you found a way to change the sound from ther camera shutter sound to something rather more alarming? I find the sound so unobtusive I miss it most of the time :(

Would really appreciate any advice on how to change this sound

No, I don't think you can. Although the Volvo/Navteq site list it as having three optional sounds.

wimorrison
Dec 22nd, 2009, 10:01
No, I don't think you can. Although the Volvo/Navteq site list it as having three optional sounds.

The choice you refer to I think is only for Stored Locations, namely your favourites that you enter yourself :(

In the manual - decided to look at it :) - it just says you have a choice of accoustic warning on/off - though I have learned that if the camera icon is orange you are travelleing too fast!! (page 49)

UKDave
Dec 22nd, 2009, 11:39
The choice you refer to I think is only for Stored Locations, namely your favourites that you enter yourself :(

In the manual - decided to look at it :) - it just says you have a choice of accoustic warning on/off - though I have learned that if the camera icon is orange you are travelleing too fast!! (page 49)

Good to know.

Does anyone have a feeling of how accurate the XC60 speedo is. When I had my portable Satnav, it could tell you the speed, which was always less than the speedo on the S60, usually by about 5mph. Not sure how accurate the XC60 one is.

mikealder
Dec 22nd, 2009, 17:30
No car speedo will ever come close to the accuracy of GPS based speed unless the car uses GPS derived information for its gauge (very rare) - Mike

Ron 98
Dec 22nd, 2009, 20:25
Does anyone have a feeling of how accurate the XC60 speedo is?
My Road Angel, which shows current speed in a nice big display, suggests that my XC60 speedometer over-reads by about 2-3mph or so - that is, when the speedo indicates 70mph you're actually doing something like 67mph.

NewVolvo
Dec 22nd, 2009, 20:37
My Road Angel, which shows current speed in a nice big display, suggests that my XC60 speedometer over-reads by about 2-3mph or so - that is, when the speedo indicates 70mph you're actually doing something like 67mph.

There is a EU legal requirement that all speedo's MUST show incorrect speed, ie higher than real speed. I think the limit is max 10% wrong. Every car is different though so I wouldnät start going at 77 if 70.... just in case.

wimorrison
Dec 22nd, 2009, 21:32
There is a EU legal requirement that all speedo's MUST show incorrect speed, ie higher than real speed. I think the limit is max 10% wrong. Every car is different though so I wouldnät start going at 77 if 70.... just in case.

I suggest that the requirment is that they must not show less than the actual speed and that the maximum variation is 10%. This means that a driver can never use the speedo as an excuse for driving faster than the speed limit

This may seem pedantic but the statement that the speedometer MUST show the incorrect speed is incorrect.

The speedo can show the correct speed, my V70 did up to ~35mph, then became progressively more inaccuate up to 80mph when it was almost 10% out. (as measured by TomTom)

UKDave
Dec 23rd, 2009, 09:04
I suggest that the requirment is that they must not show less than the actual speed and that the maximum variation is 10%. This means that a driver can never use the speedo as an excuse for driving faster than the speed limit

This may seem pedantic but the statement that the speedometer MUST show the incorrect speed is incorrect.

The speedo can show the correct speed, my V70 did up to ~35mph, then became progressively more inaccuate up to 80mph when it was almost 10% out. (as measured by TomTom)

I'll put my old Navman in for a trip and see how far off the current speedo is.

tsf
Jan 12th, 2010, 11:41
Hello
I'm currently considering XC60 or Q5, to replace my 330d .

I will be going for integrated sat nav, bluetooth, ipod integration.

But this sat nav thread (and other reviews) are starting to make me think that the systems in the volvo are a bit dated and hard to use.

Conversley I've been hearing reviews that the systems in the Audi are pretty "cutting edge" and generally very good. I'm not an Audi supporter; I think the Volvo looks a lot better and is better value. But good sat nav, phone and entertainment systems are a big factor for me.

Does anybody have any experience of the two systems? Whilst I enjoy and appreciate advice like "get a map" and "plan your route better" or "stick a Tom Tom over it" I would actually like a system that is worth the 2 grand that you pay for it!

All the best

wimorrison
Jan 12th, 2010, 12:21
Hello

But this sat nav thread (and other reviews) are starting to make me think that the systems in the volvo are a bit dated and hard to use.

Conversley I've been hearing reviews that the systems in the Audi are pretty "cutting edge" and generally very good. I'm not an Audi supporter; I think the Volvo looks a lot better and is better value. But good sat nav, phone and entertainment systems are a big factor for me.

Does anybody have any experience of the two systems? Whilst I enjoy and appreciate advice like "get a map" and "plan your route better" or "stick a Tom Tom over it" I would actually like a system that is worth the 2 grand that you pay for it!

All the best

I am not sure why people indicate that the Volvo system is difficult to use, I actually find it very simple and easy. It is certainly very easy to use the steering wheel control and it means that you are not stretching away from the wheel if you want to make changes to the route.

The Road Traffic information is updated frequently and seems to be accurate for the major roads - again it has worked correctly for me on motorways and A roads and was more up to the minute than the equivalent TomTom traffic service was :)

Bluetooth is very good, the phone easy to use and according to people that have phoned me in the car, very clear - some have not even realised that I was in a car!

The iPod interface is easy, and the sound quality with the High Performance System - the top end sound must be incredible.

All in all, don't listen to the naysayers, the systems are fully integrated, simple to use and perform effectively.

Clan
Jan 12th, 2010, 14:32
The RTI had a software revamp a couple of years ago so nothing wrong with it now , if you have a 2007 and later without the 3D option you can get a software upgrade to convert it . ( S80 / V70 )
What exactly were peope saying about it anyway?

UKDave
Jan 12th, 2010, 15:16
I agree, it works great as far as I am concerned, well integrated and, unlike ALL other portables I have tried, the ETA is very accurate, to within a couple of minutes on long journeys.

NewVolvo
Jan 12th, 2010, 16:30
I find the Volvo system to be really good, user friendly and easy to use. Almost as good as MB's Comand system.

Foringo
Jan 12th, 2010, 19:03
Hello

All the best

Dear TSF, I previously had a latest generation 2008 (B8) A4 2.7 tdi multitronic with an integrated MMI Sat Nav. IMO there was not much to choose between the two systems. The graphics of the A4 were probably of a higher resolution but it had some downsides such as you could not do a full UK postcode search as it was optimised for the German postal system! Because menu for infotainment & car systems was integral with this one screen every time you changed a setting you lost the map which was annoying. I also found the menu system a little confusing. On the plus side there was a hi-res direction repeater screen between the tacho and speedo which was a neat feature…it even counted down to the turn point on a bar graph, but because of the poor markings of the speedo at around 30mph I had the digital speedo permanently switched on which meant that I couldn’t display this Sat Nav info as well! I have found that the Volvo Sat Nav controls on the rear of the steering wheel are also very easy to use. The only time I use the remote control is if I am setting up the Sat Nav for a trip and I’ve parked with the steering wheel in an odd position! Volvo system appears just as accurate and has speed camera warnings which the Audi didn’t. Although I believe that Audi have now improved their Sat Nav system which now has a HDD and better graphics. I tested the Audi Q5 ‘back to back’ with the XC60 and felt that the Q5 was a bit more sportier in character with its harder suspension but was noticeably less refined and less comfortable (Volvo seats are great!). The Q5 has a very similar interior to the A4…just vertically stretched! I thought that the ergonomics of my Audi weren’t that well thought out and some buttons very difficult to reach. The rotary action of the folding mirror switch was particularly cheap & horrible and mirrors couldn’t be folded on the move which was also a pain. The plastic front wheel liners weren’t sealed which allowed mud to spray over the engine. Had to return twice to get some minor faults attended to. Paint finish was good but wasn't very durable being very easily marked by birds and had quite a few chips. I’ve now had my XC60 D5 Lux Premium (geartronic) since Oct and still very pleased with my decision. Quality is certainly on a par with Audi if not better, and leather in particular is far superior …although like everything associated with Audi you can upgrade to better quality materials but prices then start to become rather silly. Very much a personnel decision and a Q5 owner may have a completely opposite point of view…but I would thoroughly recommend the XC60! A lot of comments on the forum about the ‘value for money’ aspect of the integral Sat Nav systems and I would agree that it is a rip-off but that applies to virtually everything on the options list and again it’s very much a personal thing how you want to spend your money to spec up your car! I’m sure that after market Sat Navs will do the job just as well….just as cloth seats work as well as the leather ones (and are a hell of a lot cheaper) but I just prefer the leather!