PDA

View Full Version : S40 Electric ariel

erch02
Jun 6th, 2003, 15:04
Can someone please let me know where the 3 wires for the electric ariel connect to?

I was replacing the mast on my ariel when I pulled a bit too hard and the wires came away from the connector block :-(

Local dealer was only able to tell me black goes to 6, red goes to 3 and red/black goes to 4 but the connector isn't marked.

Back of connector has 6 slots (roughly) like this:-

[ ][ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ][ ]

Many thanks in advance.
Duncan

Mike Clift
Jun 6th, 2003, 18:18
Duncan

from your connector picture I'd say that like most connectors it will only fot one way round!

Unless you are saying that the aerial has 3 loose wires ... in which case I would expect them to colour code match both sides of the connector block.

Sorry, can't suggest anything else.

Mike

erch02
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:35
Wires have come loose from this connector. The 3 wires have crimp ends and fit into this block. This connector is the female side and plugs into the male side which is on the ariel

Unfortunately the block has 6 spaces and there is no way that I can see to colour match with the other side.

Duncan

George Holmer
Jun 7th, 2003, 13:13
This much I can say, and forgive me if you knew this already, that the electrical ariel will have earh, permanent power and radio power. The black is most certainly earth and I would expect the red to be permanent power and the red/black radio power. Try this with multimeter. With ignition off, you should get 12v on black and red and then with radio on, 12v also on black and red/black. If not, try the other way around. Now, using your imagination, figure out which is the earth on the antenna and then match those up. Then just alternate the other two until antenna operates correctly.

George

Anglo-Swede resident near Leuven in Belgium

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/My%20car.JPG]

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 200K)
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler (B230ET/M46; 290K)

4 forty
Jun 8th, 2003, 13:47
4 forty

you are correct george, may i add that according to the manual,no 4 terminal on the aerial connector block is for the red wire, no 5 for the red/black and no 6 for the black.

paul

Mav_UK
Jun 10th, 2003, 08:13
Don't always expect the wires to match colour on either side of a connector. When fitting the rear speakers for my V40 I found the wires coming from the Stereo connector okay, and found wires in the rear. The wires in the rear were speaker connections - but I had to ask the Volvo dealer to be sure as they were a totally different colour to the wires up front (anyone know why?)

Stu

George Holmer
Jun 11th, 2003, 14:58
Because Volvo thinks its fun. This is well known on 700/900 where the wires at the radio end typically are green-green/grey and purple-purple/grey for rear speakers but all four speakers in the doors are white-white/yellow. Possibly some assembly reason somewhere but honestly, they do not like making our lives easy, do they?

George

Anglo-Swede resident near Leuven in Belgium

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/My%20car.JPG]

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 200K)
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler (B230ET/M46; 290K)