PDA

View Full Version : V40 T4 SE confusion

silverkaylah
Apr 19th, 2004, 17:22
Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance in this matter but I am new to the world of volvo and looking to you all for help!!

I have recently purchased a used car from a "reputable" garage. The car was sold to us as a 2002 V40 T4 Turbo Sports Lux. It turns out that the DVLA had this car registered as a 145DL on the V5 document in error.
The garage sent a letter to the DVLA asking it to rectify the records. When we went to pick the car up they showed us a copy of the letter along with a spec list for the car. The spec list shows the car as being a V40 T4 SE, not a sports lux. When questioned the garage assured me that the SE and sports lux were in fact one in the same. I have since done some investigating myself and found this to be untrue. On cheking the letter that they have sent to the DVLA, the model that they have asked to be put on the V5 is 2.0 T4 Sports SE.

What I would like to know is this...

Am I right in thinking that the SE and Sports lux are in fact different models?

If that is right, what does the sports lux have that the T4 SE doesn't?

Does the model 2.0 T4 Sports SE actually exist?

Many thanks for your help

silverkaylah
Apr 19th, 2004, 17:27
Sorry, one more thing, the garage also said that it was a phase III, i've searched on the internet and I can only find phase II, does phase III exist?

T4ASB
Apr 19th, 2004, 18:25
Mine is a 2001, which is a Phase 2. The log book simply lists it as:
Make: Volvo
Model: V40 T4
Estate

I believe you should also have a certificate of conformity, which is issued by Volvo and specific to your individual car, con confirm in conforms to ec 98/14 whole vehicle blah blah....on which it is listed simply as a V40, engine code B4204T5

pyaap
Apr 19th, 2004, 18:42
'Phase III' was actually a slight facelift of the Phase II cars which was done as a 2003 Model Year onward (with egg-crate grille), however the phrase "phase III" is rarely used because the biggest redesign took place in the form of Phase II cars in August 2000.

The SE and Sport Lux spec are completely different and as far as I know, there was also an S40 Sport (which had SE spec plus the all the sports 'bits' eg, 17" wheels, lowered sports suspension etc.). I guess the thing to do is assuming it was a UK supplied car, you can give any dealer the chassis number and ask them to tell you exactly what model it was registered as, so that you can put that down on the V5.

Nick__allen
Apr 19th, 2004, 23:07
Take vin number and reg number to a volvo dealer and ask them what it should be and they will look it up on their computer.

jonb2010
Apr 20th, 2004, 00:08
Check out Parkers which have a very good review section on the S/V40. It lists most of the models, and also what the seperate "packs" include

http://parkers.co.uk/choosing/car_reviews/review.aspx?range_id=444

PAULJANDER
Apr 25th, 2004, 19:15
Hi,

Mine is a 2002 T4 Sports Lux and is shown as this on the V5. As far as I know Volvo never officially used the Phase III name it was always phase I or II. Mine has the new shaped grille too and was registered end of 2002.

vjck_uk
Apr 26th, 2004, 22:37
If you post the number then anyone with a vadis would be able to tell you.